Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6349 (Misses Dress)

Reviewed by:Christine B

About Christine Bstar
ME USA
Member since: 6/7/05
Posted on:7/19/08 8:15 AM
Athene said... (7/19/08 3:29 PM) Reply
I'm happy you posted this WIP. I learn a lot from viewing the photos and accompanying comments. Thank you.
Christine B said... (7/19/08 7:19 AM) Reply
duplicate comment deleted
Christine B said... (7/18/08 11:22 PM) Reply
mClones - I did pin it all myself, and no, it's not always easy. :) And I think you may be right about the bust point - the bra I am wearing in the photos hoists my boobies up more than any other, but even if I were wearing a different one, it does look a bit too low, doesn't it? The angle of the dart matches that of the original pattern, but there's no reason I can't make it more horizontal. (Other than it means another go round...)

I really do wish I had taken pictures of the first try, the second is like a whole different garment. BUT...I need to focus on the end result, not the amount of improvement -- and at this point, it's a pretty minimal amount of tweaking, so I should just suck it up and do it. Thanks for making me take another look. :-)

mClones said... (7/18/08 10:22 PM) Reply
I am surprised that you are lowering the bustpoint. I would have thought they should be raised by 3/4"-1" and even reduce the slant somewhat. You've got a nice fit on the back. Are you able to pin that yourself or is someone helping you? I've just finished a couple of patternmaking classes and I'm all about fit--but I haven't been able to achieve my own good fit with what I've learned yet!
RobinMCPA said... (7/16/08 10:13 AM) Reply
My measurements indicate a 14, but I've found that 12s fit me a lot better for most things. I always compare the finished measurements of the pattern to stuff I already own that fits me well in order to make the call, but sometimes I've found that the finished measurements given by New Look are pre-darts/gathers. Not sure if that's the case with all patterns, but I've seen it a couple of times on theirs and it's caused me to make the wrong size, thinking that the 14 had too much ease when really it would have been fine after the darts/gathers/pleats.

Ottobre Design Magazine 03-2013-17