Pattern Reviews> Self Drafted Pattern> 0000 (1-Shoulder Tulle Wedding Gown)

Reviewed by:Terri A

Self Drafted Pattern: 0000 by Terri A Self Drafted Pattern: 0000 by Terri A
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 10 people

Rpolston said... (9/15/14 11:29 AM) Reply
Dmd4106 said... (9/15/14 1:18 AM) Reply
What a purty gown! I love tulle skirts. Thanks for the information post
Terri A said... (9/15/14 0:53 AM) Reply
Thank you guys so much - it's so awesome to share on PR...
Lagolden2 said... (9/14/14 11:23 PM) Reply
Wow what a gorgeous dress. You did a fantastic job working with materials that are not forgiving or easy to handle. You deserve a million bucks and a lotta love.
Debbie Dabbles said... (9/14/14 10:45 PM) Reply
What an adventure. Read both of your updates today. Just amazing.
Jill A. Johnson said... (9/14/14 9:36 PM) Reply
So Pretty! :)
carolynw said... (9/14/14 6:27 PM) Reply
Heatherrique said... (9/12/08 5:24 PM) Reply
Breathtakingly beautiful, Terri! Thanks for sharing your sewing journey!
nancy2001 said... (9/11/08 7:52 PM) Reply
The dress you made looks stunning on the radiant bride. It really is magnificent.
Mufffet said... (9/11/08 5:05 PM) Reply
What a beautiful dress!! looks so professional. I like that photograph - it looks professional as well!
Karendee said... (9/11/08 12:39 PM) Reply
Amazing work! Beautiful.
MagpieJen said... (9/11/08 12:25 PM) Reply
*swoon* It's like she's walking on the clouds or something. Truly a work of art.
Em's Summer said... (9/11/08 11:07 AM) Reply
You worked hard on this and it turned out beautifully!
carolynw said... (9/11/08 9:09 AM) Reply
This is just so beautiful - you did an extraordinary piece of work here - bride should be totally happy with the end result - truly beautiful
alisono said... (9/11/08 4:37 AM) Reply
Such a beautiful dress. I'm not surprised she's happy -- she will look stunning.
Terri A said... (9/5/08 7:20 PM) Reply
Thanks for your help in the making of it:-) Really appreciated it!
nancy2001 said... (8/29/08 10:30 PM) Reply
What a stunning gown -- fit for a fairy princess. I love the redrafted bodice -- it's exactly right. Congratulations.
Nancy Anne said... (8/29/08 8:02 PM) Reply
How breathtaking! I am having a hard time trying to envision any bride being anything but thrilled with such a stunning creation! (And by the way, that is no longer a Vogue pattern- I don't even think it qualifies as the essence of Vogue 8387 anymore.)
celeste said... (8/29/08 12:19 PM) Reply
congrats! what a professional job you did on such a difficult dress! any bride would be proud to wear it.
michellep74 said... (8/29/08 11:14 AM) Reply
Wow--what a gorgeous dress and an inspiration to those of who someday might choose to sew a wedding dress!
amy in mpls said... (8/29/08 8:46 AM) Reply
Yowzas!Great work....such a beautiful dress. She is going L O V E it!
cindyann said... (8/29/08 8:14 AM) Reply
That is so beautiful! Very nicely done.
Lori V said... (8/29/08 7:11 AM) Reply
Terri, this dress is stunning. You do such incredible work.
senaSews said... (8/29/08 2:10 AM) Reply
this is a stunning dress. it looks absolutely fabulous. wow
Terri A said... (8/29/08 1:14 AM) Reply
That just makes my whole year:-) Thanks!
Annette1 said... (8/29/08 0:56 AM) Reply
Oh my gosh, I LOVE looking at formal dresses, and this gown is STUNNING: the tulle, the buttons, the bodice, the satin, everything single thing about it. :o) The BACK is so pretty. :o) BRAVO!
Puppy said... (8/28/08 9:19 PM) Reply
Oh, NICE, really, really nice!
nancy2001 said... (7/22/08 9:10 PM) Reply
I love the modified bodice. It's very feminine and blends perfectly with the tulle skirt.
chacha45 said... (7/22/08 8:38 PM) Reply
That skirt is breathtaking, like a fairytale princess would wear!
Terri A said... (7/22/08 5:51 PM) Reply
Well, I think it would work especially in the casual dress it was meant for. You could make it a bit loose and it would never show. However, I think the blame lies in the narrow choices for a one shoulder bodice of any kind... and then trying to put in in a tight fitted bodice application, right? I really appreciate everyone's comments. Thanks for the help.
frogs2 said... (7/22/08 5:48 PM) Reply
Terri - Great job on redrafting the bodice. The new lines help emphasize the bust curve and the taper at the waist too - I really like this! Nice job!
ryansmumAria said... (7/22/08 5:29 PM) Reply
Terri, I am fascinated to learn that you figured out the differenc cup sizes. That never would have occurred to me! Not only are you learning massive amounts but now you are teacher- hahah. Can't wait to see it done. Too bad that design didn't work-I loved it!
Terri A said... (7/18/08 2:06 PM) Reply
What great tips - thanks! Yeah - since I am just doing this as a friend and not for profit I am sort of stuck in that regard ... and she isn't planning to wear a veil! No where to hide for me:-) I am learning a lot and I think you are right - it's just brilliant to have en enclosure that can adjust (like lacing) to weight changes! I think lacing is very very elegant too.
Bernadette W said... (7/18/08 1:37 AM) Reply
Terri-First of all, amazing work on all of these dresses! To give you feedback on the dress bodice--I would agree with nancy2001 about curving both sides of the bodice seams--I found it odd that Vogue used two different seam treatments in the dress pattern that you are using as the basis for this gown. The other point that I would like to address is the issue of size fluctuations so typical of brides. One of my teachers in apparel design classes designed custom wedding gowns--and she finally had to incorporate sizing "rules" into her contracts. Any measurement changes greater than 1/2" up or down after the final fitting would require x-amount per hour of rework time and x amount doubles or triples on an emergency basis! So many brides either pack weight on or lose it due to stress, or decide to go on a strict diet four weeks before the wedding, and hand beading, lace placement and the designer's life all get disrupted. This is harder for the friend/seamstress, with a personal investment in long term bride happiness. I have experienced this first-hand. The one work-around that I can offer that will minimize YOUR stress levels, is to incorporate a lacing or buttoning feature in the back of the bodice which will allow fine tuning ON THE WEDDING DAY. See Vogue 2810 as one example of this treatment. This is unobtrusive, and will be covered by her wedding veil anyway.
indiaw said... (7/17/08 6:30 PM) Reply
I am in awe of all the layers of tulle you worked with in the skirt. Very lovely. And I agree with nancy about curving the short seam too. Great job.
Terri A said... (7/17/08 4:43 PM) Reply
I will do that - thanks so much:-) Yes, I am definitely learning what *not* to do each time I sew something! LOL
ryansmumAria said... (7/17/08 4:26 PM) Reply
Terri, If there is enough time I would mail her the bodice muslins and have someone pin it on her. I'd include some instructions. Remember to add and EXTRA 1" side seams (a la Sandra Betzina) This means side seams are 1 5/8 inch wide. I'm sure you have learned so much from this project and will emerge a wiser seamstress! I tell myself this each and everytime I sew up a miss and it really is true! I know what NOT to do....
Terri A said... (7/17/08 3:32 PM) Reply
The bride is visiting out of town for an extended time (her wedding is in September). Maybe I should do a muslin of each and send her photos. One thing worrying me is that her size fluctuates a lot from like a pattern size ten to a twelve and then back. I had done all this work and made the muslin had fittings used a dressform and thought I covered all the bases:-) haha ----but then when she came over the "real thing" that was interlined and everything was too tight. I pointed out the importance of wearing what you plan to wear for undergarments at the wedding etc... I have to start all over on this bodice and make it bigger and then I wonder will it be too big? After all the work on the skirt I needed a break and made the green dress for my daughter and the ottobre toddler dresses for my friend for fun, just to get my head out of the process and color for awhile. I am learning a lot but I am not a professional and I had sort of thought I was home-free after the skirt was done - but now I am thinking the bodice is the most critical thing. Thanks for all your help and input. This is a new experience for me. The other wedding dress I did was very easy and a different construction altogether. My fav part is when the dress is done and the bride looks happy and proud in her dress!
Re Becca said... (7/17/08 3:22 PM) Reply
That looks like it will be fabulous. I don't envy you working with all that tulle! Keep us up to date.
Athene said... (7/17/08 3:14 PM) Reply
I will continue to watch your updates with fascination. This gown design looks so beautiful and inspiring.
ryansmumAria said... (7/17/08 11:46 AM) Reply
I had a second thoght about your bodice. I recall when making a prom dress that the client was torn between two bodices. I quickly made 2 test outs and immediately she knew which was the right one. I spent minimal time on both. HOwever, I do love the lines on this bodice. It's unusual. Good luck
Allie in Hong Kong said... (7/17/08 8:26 AM) Reply
Wow that looks amazing - 12 layers and 50 yards? what a great friend (and brave sewer!) you are.
Lori V said... (7/17/08 7:12 AM) Reply
This is such a beautiful gown.
nancy2001 said... (7/17/08 6:52 AM) Reply
The tulle skirt looks wonderful, and the gown will be magnificent. To answer the question you posted on your blog, I would definitely curve the short, straight bodice seam so it mirrors the longer one on the other side. I think the asymmetry should stop at the neckline and not extend to the bust. Also, a curved seam would flow with the curve of the neckline and seems much more appropriate in a romantic, ultrafeminine dress like this one.
squirrellypoo said... (7/17/08 6:19 AM) Reply
wow. I had to do a double-take that the pattern you linked to was the one for that dress! Thanks for all the details in construction - I'm still in the planning stages of my dress but I've got over a year to go... :)
Terri A said... (7/16/08 9:26 PM) Reply
Thanks for the feedback. Any thoughts are appreciated! I checked my blog and found my settings were causing people (non-members of blogger) to not be able to post. I changed that now and so thanks for bringing that to my attention:-) Thanks a bunch for the input!!!!
ryansmumAria said... (7/16/08 9:09 PM) Reply
I couldn't post on your blog for some reason. Wanted to let you know the bodice has a great flow. It is a wonderful design- what a great friend you are. That's ALOT of work. I hope you are enjoying the process.