Online Sewing Class: Fun with Fitting - SKIRTS

Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4287 (Threads Boys & Mens Shirts)

Reviewed by:Debbie Cook

About Debbie Cookstarstarstarstar
Member since: 4/11/02

Posted on:7/28/08 10:36 PM
Last Updated:8/9/08 0:01 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 17 people
Deepika said... (10/3/08 2:24 PM) Reply
Debbie, these shirts are great. Thanks for your review. I really need to convince DH that these will look good on him and them make him one :)
AnneM said... (9/10/08 9:14 PM) Reply
Great shirts! You are always such an inspiration.
Annette1 said... (8/10/08 2:47 AM) Reply
Well, I can't believe that's a double knit! It's got a nice sheen to it, and looks very retro. I love it! Great idea, too, the way you've handled the collar and the yoke. :o)
RLL said... (8/9/08 1:57 PM) Reply
Another great looking shirt. You son will love wearing it knowing no one else has one like it. I love the re-styling and chevron of the back yoke and then flipping the collar giving the chevron effect there also. Gotta love that collar method!
indiaw said... (8/9/08 9:47 AM) Reply
Great looking shirt. It's so hard to find patterns for the guys, when you do, hang on to them for dear life. I love the express collar and use it all the time.
Peterborough Stitch said... (8/9/08 9:30 AM) Reply
This shirt rocks! Your DS will have something that no-one else in class will be able to match, that's for sure. Fabulous fabrics and you did such a nice job of matching up the pattern on the back; very professional. Way to go!
marykpfist said... (8/9/08 9:16 AM) Reply
incredible! Thanks for the collar tip- I will definitely try it. :-)
ITAdmin said... (7/30/08 2:36 PM) Reply
Good looking shirt. I recently bought this after seeing positive reviews of it. I, too, was disappointed and a little baffled that it's OOP. Seems to be a good pattern with some great options.
MasoumaRose said... (7/29/08 9:54 PM) Reply
Great job! Lovely
OP Gal said... (7/29/08 7:14 PM) Reply
Spiffy shirt! Personally, I like Goofy Model Pose #1. I think DS looks very debonair. He looks swell in the other photos, too. Thanks for the detail in the review, Debbie.
PVA said... (7/29/08 5:58 PM) Reply
Thanks, Debbie -- what a great review! Your DS is a terrific model, even when he's being goofy! Your topstitching always look so neat, even & straight! I especially like it that you always include the things you would do differently with a different kind of fabric and/or etc.
Annette1 said... (7/29/08 1:54 PM) Reply
Great shirt! It is indeed quite slimming. You've got one good-looking boy there (love his hair). :o) I suspect you'll be maknig some more of these. :o) I may look for this one on eBay. I bet my dad would like it too, although his wardrobe is MINIMAL, to say the least, and that's teh way he likes it. I have made him shirts though, and he likes them. On the other hand, he wore the same khakis for a good 20 years, so you see what I mean. :o) Great review!
CatMukai said... (7/29/08 1:33 PM) Reply
wow, are you interested in adopting? Good job!
gatorgirl4325 said... (7/29/08 12:02 PM) Reply
That is the coolest shirt I've seen in a long time! Your DS does look nice in it.
cindyann said... (7/29/08 10:21 AM) Reply
Cool shirt! Great pattern. You did your usual excellent job. I sooo wish I could get my boys to wear a shirt with a collar.
Zip said... (7/29/08 10:20 AM) Reply
Your work is great as usual. Nice details. Thanks for the links as well. Now I'm just hoping I can find the pattern!
carolynw said... (7/29/08 9:57 AM) Reply
Really nice lookign shirt Debbie and thanks for the great review - have the pattern and it's on "my "to do" list for DH - soon.
Miss Fairchild said... (7/29/08 7:59 AM) Reply
Great job on the shirt! And the retro bowling shirt colors look great on him too. You're right--it's very slimming. I can't believe he's that much of a manly size. And as to the photos, boys will be boys! I have one too.
mssewcrazy said... (7/29/08 7:52 AM) Reply
I noticed the nice topstitching on the blog. The special thread was a great effect. It is the pits that with as few offerings as there are for men and boys,this one has gone oop. I think this is a really nice looking pattern sewed up. They've got to be kidding about the handstitching when the wonderful machines and threads are available today. I would hate to see what dh and grandsons would do to handstitching. They would need the triple topstitch more than likely.
cut a hole in it again said... (7/29/08 7:50 AM) Reply
Thanks Debbie - I have this pattern somewhere! I am going to dig it out and give it a whirl with some stashed knit. TG for stashes! I like the topstitching, I wonder if it actually needs the back yoke though? Another great job.
Darla in PA said... (7/29/08 6:30 AM) Reply
Great shirt! The style is very nice.
McFeather said... (7/29/08 6:14 AM) Reply
What a great shirt! Love the details, too.
MissCelie said... (7/29/08 5:54 AM) Reply
Ok, DS is a big boy! But, that shirt give him the perfect, cool, retro vibe. Great shirt.
Sew4Fun said... (7/29/08 0:20 AM) Reply
Fantastic shirt! This is a great style for your DS and it fits so nicely. Great idea about the choice of fabric too!
Speech girl said... (7/28/08 10:55 PM) Reply
Wonderful shirt and it seems to really suit your ds. It's a great style.
Elona said... (7/28/08 10:46 PM) Reply
Great shirt, Debbie! It really does fit your kid, and I love the color choice and the buttons, too. It's true that this is a very body-conscious shirt. I'm depressed to learn that Simplicity has discontinued it, because it's the only such pattern I have ever found. Darn it. Simp HAS proved themselves responsive to emails, so maybe they'd listen to complaints from customers.

by: Sheila457