Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 02-2008-106 (Jacket with striped bands)

Reviewed by:Debra H

About Debra Hstarstarstarstar
NC USA
Member since: 7/16/04
Posted on:8/13/08 1:34 AM
Last Updated:8/16/08 4:53 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 26 people

Second Avenue said... (3/23/09 12:35 PM) Reply
I am thinking of making this jacket and really appreciate the detail you have provided in this review. Your spicy linen jacket looks beautiful and very well sewn. Thanks! Regards, Gaylene (Second Avenue)
AmyRose said... (1/18/09 11:32 AM) Reply
Great detail. The bias layout, design changes, trim detail and expert workmanship make this a one of kind jacket, rather than home made.
Sigrid. said... (8/17/08 2:28 PM) Reply
WONDERFUL jacket. The fabric used and the way you worked with the stripes is really beautiful. Impeccable work (as always). I'm going to find the issue and will certainly place this on my "to sew list".
Rhoda K said... (8/17/08 8:16 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket and excellent review!
blue mooney said... (8/16/08 8:33 AM) Reply
Very striking jacket. I particularly like the button bands and binding on the sleeves. Your creations are an inspiration!
Linda G said... (8/15/08 11:40 AM) Reply
Like everything you make, I want one. I did make a basic jacket by this pattern, have not yet reviewed it though, mine is boring yours is striking!!
cathy45 said... (8/14/08 11:20 PM) Reply
Another stunner! I so envy your closet.
Annette1 said... (8/14/08 1:54 PM) Reply
AWESOME! I love the use of the bias in the design. Great minds think alike, because I've been planning something similar for myself and my aunt. This is a perfect inspiration top in that regard. :o)
SusiM said... (8/14/08 10:20 AM) Reply
I can't say enough good things about your excellent review! You answer all the questions about a pattern I am likely to have. The jacket is gorgeous!
Karen6790 said... (8/14/08 10:03 AM) Reply
What a wonderful use of stripes! Your work is immaculate and the jacket is absolutely delicious. I would wear this in a heartbeat.
Fran G said... (8/14/08 8:41 AM) Reply
Love this jacket! This fabric slipped by me; it is so pretty. Your workmanship is topnotch, as always. I just looked at the pattern in the magazine: do you simply redraft the facing pieces so there is no shoulder seam? I have not read this idea before and Louise Cutting is the queen of reducing bulk, eg. her collar design. Could you elaborate a bit on your facing procedure or tell me where I might find the idea? Thanks!
Karen8320 said... (8/14/08 6:07 AM) Reply
Really beautiful work, Debra. The detailing that you've included really takes this to a very high level. I'm very, very impressed.
Nancywin said... (8/14/08 1:35 AM) Reply
This turned out to be super-cute. I think I didn't even notice this pattern in the mag - I 'll have to go back and look it up!
hongkongshopper said... (8/13/08 11:46 PM) Reply
Beautiful use of the stripes. Lovely jacket.
nancy2001 said... (8/13/08 9:46 PM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous jacket.
Mahler said... (8/13/08 9:41 PM) Reply
Superb! The fabric you used gives it a lot of style.
2BSewing said... (8/13/08 7:11 PM) Reply
Stunning! When I saw the jacket photo in the gallery, I knew it was your signature creation. The EOS fabric is gorgeous. As always...enjoyed your review.
Luckylibbet said... (8/13/08 2:12 PM) Reply
Gorgeous! I love the bias strips at the shoulder - what a perfect detail! And as always, a very helpful review.
EveS said... (8/13/08 1:52 PM) Reply
Oh, I just love everything about this!! I was on the fence w/ the magazine version, but yours has sold me!! I imagine it's quite flattering on, and the fabric is beautiful!
Amanda S. said... (8/13/08 12:59 PM) Reply
Great jacket! I really love all the different angles you achieved with it still looking smart and professional. Wonderful job.
OP Gal said... (8/13/08 12:43 PM) Reply
What a beautiful jacket! I think your semi-attached button bands better than the pattern. It's always great to have a jacket that you can transition into fall. It's so hard to find fabric that does that so well. Now that you have the kinks worked out, this can be a pattern that you can use often.
Dei said... (8/13/08 12:39 PM) Reply
This qualifies as exert tailoring. Absolutely gorgeous. Would love to see a pic of you wearing your creation.
Cheryl Reeves said... (8/13/08 12:36 PM) Reply
Debra, you are always so creative with your striped fabrics. This jacket is just beautiful.
Aunt Gail said... (8/13/08 12:36 PM) Reply
Your review is inspiring! Thank you for taking the time to talk about what you created PLUS the reasoning behind it. For beginning sewers, it helps so much to read WHY an experienced sewer decides to go one way, rather than another!
stitcheroo said... (8/13/08 12:08 PM) Reply
Very impressive, in both construction and style.
Second Avenue said... (8/13/08 12:02 PM) Reply
Debra, What a beautiful jacket. Your workmanship is topnotch and I just love the colour of the fabric. You will look just fabulous in your new garment!
Seaspur said... (8/13/08 10:49 AM) Reply
Another spectacular jacket! Burda should pay you something because your creations are fabulous advertising for their patterns.
gatorgirl4325 said... (8/13/08 10:29 AM) Reply
Ohmygoodness!! What a fabulous jacket you've constructed!!
suesmith said... (8/13/08 9:41 AM) Reply
Simply beautiful fabric and fabulous design mods. I must revisit this pattern as you have certainly piqued my interest! Great review.
Nancy K said... (8/13/08 9:31 AM) Reply
This is wonderful, as usual. I love the color and stripe effect. Beautifully made, as always. Brava!
annie11 said... (8/13/08 9:27 AM) Reply
Gorgeous jacket! I love the fabric and how you used the stripes.
AnneMarie60 said... (8/13/08 9:04 AM) Reply
Beautifully made! Thanks for another informative review. I truly wish I had a duplicate of every garment you create in my closet!
carolynw said... (8/13/08 9:02 AM) Reply
This is just so beautiful - you always do such detailed and wonderful work but this time I think you have truly excelled at making a very special jacket from an ordinary pattern. Well done Debra
Re Becca said... (8/13/08 9:02 AM) Reply
I really like the wider collar. Another great jacket with a great review Debra!
Kay Y said... (8/13/08 8:57 AM) Reply
That is a great idea to cover the shoulder seam - I may "borrow" this from you. Beautiful stripey jacket!
lmg said... (8/13/08 7:56 AM) Reply
Gorgeous, like everything else you make. Thanks for the informative review.
sewtime said... (8/13/08 7:51 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket. Thank you for the good review.
marjenann said... (8/13/08 7:33 AM) Reply
Unique! Gorgeous!!
leanmeansewingmachine said... (8/13/08 7:06 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket! I love how you modified this pattern.
Natasha B said... (8/13/08 6:18 AM) Reply
Such a beautiful jacket!
babsi1111 said... (8/13/08 4:55 AM) Reply
Your jacket looks stunning. I like your sense of style and I am always anxious to see new creations from you.
Liana said... (8/13/08 3:30 AM) Reply
Beautiful all around. Great details and wonderful fabric!
Vonnevo said... (8/13/08 2:19 AM) Reply
Totally fabulous Debra !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Athene said... (8/13/08 2:10 AM) Reply
A gorgeous jacket. Love the detailing and the striped fabric.

Victoria Jones Collection Men's Classic Hawaiian Businessman's Aloha Shirt