Pattern Reviews> Loes Hinse Designs> 5201 (Sweater Set)

Reviewed by:BreathofSpring

Last Updated:8/5/03 3:14 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Petite
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 1 people
BreathofSpring said... (8/8/03 6:28 PM) Reply
Well, as I stated on the boards, I did attempt to put buttonholes on this. One of them was perfect! One stretched w-a-y out of norm. I even practiced on scraps! Needless to say, this sweater set now has a sewn on facing on one side. I do love the color and feel of the fabric. I will post a pic as soon as I can take one, ok? I haven't given up on buttonholes on knits, but it will wait for now on this set! Thanks for the stitch witchery tip too.....I'll try that! I think I'll try on facings and then just sew that to garments after this! Thanks.
Irene said... (8/8/03 2:01 PM) Reply
Buttonholes on knits are tricky since each fabric is so different. When my traveling Stretch & Sew vendor demonstrated making sweaters (from t-shirt patterns), she showed us her various attempts at buttonholes. Most of them s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d out of shape. The most successful version used stitch witchery as a stabilizer. It's an iron-between (both sides fuse) fusible webbing used in crafts and sewing. If I recall correctly, she placed a piece between the garment and and facing (at each buttonhole), fused, sewed the buttonhole, cut the hole open, and then CAREFULLY melted the stitch witchery into the threads of the buttonhole (with an iron). She thought that corded buttonholes would also work well.
Mini said... (8/7/03 3:03 PM) Reply
I think with a little practice on scraps of your sweater fabric you will be able to do good buttonholes-sometimes I have to try different threads or needle sizes before getting it right. OR you could sew in snaps as Georgene suggested, and put decorative buttons over them. If you look at Gigi Louis' review of this pattern you can see a good example.
Karen Bowers said... (8/7/03 12:38 PM) Reply
i got a little confused on finishing the cardigan as well, mainly with how to finish the bottom hem. any way we could see you wearing the cardigan? i never learn much from a photo of an outfit on a hanger.
Georgene said... (8/4/03 4:07 AM) Reply
Congratulations on your successful muslin! I'm sure you will tweak this pattern until it becomes a favored one. Note: ring snaps or other snaps are a good alternative for the buttonhole-shy.

KnipMode Magazine 01-2011-6