Online Sewing Class: Sewing Basics

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 7600 (large brim hat)

Reviewed by:Mariko

About Marikostar
OR USA
Member since: 1/26/03
Posted on:8/5/03 3:22 PM
Last Updated:8/5/03 3:22 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
See other patterns in this category: Accessories
G.G. said... (4/20/04 4:33 PM) Reply
love the hat. thanks for the interfacing info. Honey,I might wear this pattern to church.
mlb said... (10/15/03 8:39 AM) Reply
A great hat and it looks wonderful on you. I have this pattern and thanks to your excellent results will be sure to make it. I'll remember your tip about the decorative stitching.
Mariko said... (8/21/03 9:10 AM) Reply
Jennifer, I did not pre-shrink the ribbon (more like I forgot to do so if I had to...) I am looking forward to seeing your version!!!
Jennifer shaw said... (8/20/03 5:47 PM) Reply
Hi Mariko! Did you preshrink the grosgrain ribbon? I ended up finding the millinery grosgrain, so I am ready to go. Thanks for your help.
Jennifer shaw said... (8/14/03 7:33 PM) Reply
Thanks Mariko! The last thing I need to sew on is the ribbon. I'll post a photo soon. I changed the width of the brim, and how I stitched the topstitching too.
Mariko said... (8/12/03 9:37 AM) Reply
Hi, Jennifer! The grogram ribbon is only to hide the seam where the brim and the crown are attached. I used a 1" wide grogram ribbon, but a lady at the fabric shop told me that even 1/2" wide would do it (really? I feel safer with at least 3/4" wide). If you have 3/4 yard, that should be enough---your head size (large is 23.5") + seam allowance. Enjoy making a hat!!
Jennifer shaw said... (8/11/03 2:15 PM) Reply
Really terrific hat, Mariko. Thanks for the information on the brim. It is so silly that they left off the information about the grosgrain ribbon. How much and what kind of grosgrain did you use?
Evatgirl73 said... (8/8/03 0:19 AM) Reply
Very pretty, it does look better than on the pattern envelope!
Ann C said... (8/6/03 9:43 PM) Reply
I like the hat. And the happy expression on your face matches the happy-type fabric.
Irene said... (8/5/03 9:03 PM) Reply
Cool hat! And so great to see you, too!
AnneM said... (8/5/03 8:15 PM) Reply
Like the hat! I would not have thought to be able to make a hat like that. Great for gardening. Thanks for the tips; I might have to pick this up (I almost always wear a hat in the garden).
Ann B. said... (8/5/03 7:23 PM) Reply
Mariko, I really like your pretty hat. It is much nicer than the pattern photo. Your hat even has a prettier shape. Mom will be the snazziest gardener on her block.
KathleenS said... (8/5/03 7:21 PM) Reply
Great hat Mariko - very professional looking and I like the fabric choice.
Mariko said... (8/5/03 6:04 PM) Reply
Thanks for your comments. Yes, Phyllis, the top & bottom brim each got fusible interfacing. I used mid-to-light weight interfacing. Even with the decorative stitches on top of that, the brim itself is still soft (just to hold the shape.) I think even more stiff, shirt-collar interfacing could work better.
Marita Kinnula said... (8/5/03 5:18 PM) Reply
Mariko, your hat is great!!!
BreathofSpring said... (8/5/03 4:14 PM) Reply
Very cute hat Mariko! I've never thought of trying anything like this.....but after seeing this review, I just might! Thanks!
PhyllisC said... (8/5/03 4:09 PM) Reply
Love it, love it...Mariko - did you use any interfacing on the brim? The curve is just perfect, so I wonder if that's just the effect of the staystiching.

Sew Simple 1634