Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 03-2008-116 (Duchess of Windsor Dress)

Reviewed by:nicegirl

About nicegirlstarstarstarstar
DC USA
Member since: 5/10/06
Posted on:8/21/08 2:53 PM

Mufffet said... (10/8/08 8:55 PM) Reply
How did I miss this great dress? Looks fantastic. Love the flutter sleeves. The helmet - well, somehow it sets it all off with those glasses. ;)
Athene said... (8/22/08 11:32 PM) Reply
I love your dress. This is one of my very favorite dresses from BWOF - although I have not yet made it, I am thrilled to know that it works well in knits as well as wovens. Thank you for the great review.
Winifred said... (8/22/08 6:06 PM) Reply
This is so very beautiful tho I hardly recognised you!! And you made it in a day ? I wish I could get a whole day - with DH around there are so many interruptions !
Speech girl said... (8/22/08 12:10 PM) Reply
Your dress is beautiful. I love your idea of making it from a knit!
Elle D said... (8/22/08 11:52 AM) Reply
Gorgeous, and so Combat Vogue. Oh, excuse me, "Combat Burda". It just doesn't sound the same.
Marji said... (8/22/08 11:11 AM) Reply
The dress looks great on you - and you crack me up with your photo-shoots.
cindyann said... (8/22/08 10:15 AM) Reply
This dress is so YOU! I can see why you were drawn to it. Perfect in a knit.
inkstain said... (8/22/08 8:48 AM) Reply
Great dress, hysterical photo. Thanks
Heatherrique said... (8/22/08 7:59 AM) Reply
NiceGirl, your version is spectacular! I adore it more than Burdie's!
leanmeansewingmachine said... (8/22/08 7:55 AM) Reply
You're right about this dress - you must make it again as it looks great on you!
squirrellypoo said... (8/22/08 7:11 AM) Reply
Fabulous dress, and I love your choice of photo!!
MarijaSLO said... (8/22/08 3:21 AM) Reply
You rule!
Schnauzer said... (8/21/08 11:43 PM) Reply
A really lovely dress!
rosannec said... (8/21/08 9:34 PM) Reply
fabulous! the main pic is definitely retro fantasy with the helmet & the shades...Also, I'm really glad you had success in a knit; those that made this one in a woven commented on how little ease there is in the hip region vs other dresses of similar style from WoF. I loved the look but feared the alterations. Your knit may work for me yet! Thanks for the review!
Karen8320 said... (8/21/08 9:12 PM) Reply
Lovely work, Nicegirl! The first things that I noticed about this dress in your photo, before reading the review, were the fabric and the sleeves. The sleeves really drew me in and I'm so glad you emphasized them. They ARE fabulous! This dress suits you really well. Great work!
Miz Lolly said... (8/21/08 8:29 PM) Reply
What a great dress! I love this pattern and have a version half-way finished and buried under 3 other projects. Thanks for inspiring me to finish!
AnneM said... (8/21/08 8:26 PM) Reply
I love, love, love this dress. I hope they come out w/ this in the envelopes, since I don't have this issue. Looks like an interesting trip as well.
Gelbean said... (8/21/08 8:17 PM) Reply
Great dress!
Natasha B said... (8/21/08 7:57 PM) Reply
This dress is great and really suits you. Your photos are very helpful, great knit binding techniques. I wish the pattern came smaller too!
ocotillo said... (8/21/08 7:49 PM) Reply
Beautiful! It really flatters you. I'm disappointed that BWOF didn't include size 34 with this one, because I would make it!
Lori V said... (8/21/08 7:19 PM) Reply
Great lookng dress, it looks fantastic on you.
dbsewer said... (8/21/08 7:18 PM) Reply
When I saw this pattern in BWOF I, too, thought knit. You did a beautiful job and I love how you're taking us along on your trip via your fashion photos. The dress looks great on you. What a difference fabric and ingenuity can make in transforming a wedding gown into something you can wear every day.
Squeezylemon said... (8/21/08 5:56 PM) Reply
Yet another wonderful project Nicegirl! You have the talent of always making things to suit your figure and style, I always enjoy every project you make!
Vonnevo said... (8/21/08 5:40 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress nicegirl !!!!
Lynngray said... (8/21/08 5:08 PM) Reply
Looks great on you. Wow looks like you had a great trip also. Thanks for review.
chacha45 said... (8/21/08 5:03 PM) Reply
Great review! Who but you could have imagined that the Duchess of Windsor dress would go so well with an army helmet? Been reading your blog. You are a good writer as well as sewist and cook. Love your sense of humor.
Karendee said... (8/21/08 5:02 PM) Reply
This is an adorable dress. It sounds like the perfect easy care solution to travel.
Karen6790 said... (8/21/08 4:10 PM) Reply
I did this dress in a woven, but I think you've convinced me it wants to be a knit next time around. This is too cute.
unfinishedprojects said... (8/21/08 3:59 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for posting this review! I loved that dress as soon as I saw it, but didn't think it would work on a bottom heavy figure. Now it's on my 'to sew' list again.
nellc said... (8/21/08 3:54 PM) Reply
Lovely dress, I loved the shape of this when I saw it in the magazine and it looks great made up in a knit.
sewtime said... (8/21/08 3:49 PM) Reply
Fantastic! You look great!
pinkli said... (8/21/08 3:37 PM) Reply
Brilliant photo! Dress looks great, and so quickly made. The darts would put me off, but your version looks so handy that I could be persuaded...
Elke said... (8/21/08 3:32 PM) Reply
This looks gorgeous on you. It is very flattering in the short length.
Barbara V said... (8/21/08 3:24 PM) Reply
For as many darts as you describe, you sure sewed it up in a hurry! It looks great. I like the sleeves as well and the back without zipper.
wreninrome said... (8/21/08 3:06 PM) Reply
this is so beautiful and you look fantastic in it

Understanding Wool Fabrics