Pattern Reviews> Shermane Fouche> 102

Posted on:8/9/03 6:05 PM
Last Updated:11/7/03 9:53 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 6 people

Trudy J said... (1/6/04 0:18 AM) Reply
I had the good fortune of taking a workshop with Shermane which she taught at the sewing workshop. I made her petal jacket. (I call it my imitation Armani.) I I recall that she trimmed what I thought was a drastic amount off the shoulder width during the muslin fitting(I'm 5'). In any case, the jacket is exquisite. I made two, and I wear them today, even though they reflect the broad shoulders of the 80's or early 90's or whenever I did this. I also made her knit raglan tops and a tank top. Both terrific patterns. I think the lesson about the slashing, is to not be afraid to fix the pattern: it's not sacred. Part of the reason, I think, that it came out so great is that we used tailoring techniques that I think are Armani-ish. I was just re-reading Marcy Tilton's recent Threads articles. I'm gearing up to make another jacket and I'm fretting over what pattern to use. It has to be one with no side seams.
Teri said... (11/8/03 10:34 AM) Reply
I have had her petal jacket pattern for years. It is in the "one of these days" stack. Maybe I will get to it this winter. If I do I will be sure to post a review.
Rennie Ashby said... (11/8/03 10:18 AM) Reply
Looks great! I have purchased some of her patterns from Louise Cutting's site, but not tried yet.
galadriel45 said... (11/7/03 7:50 PM) Reply
I enjoyed your review and think the results were really nice. I love the material!
Oopsy-Daisy! said... (11/7/03 4:40 PM) Reply
Beautiful! BTW, Shermane is still in Paris, per Louise Cutting last month. Has anyone made her Petal jacket? I remember when that first came out, Sandra Betzina made one and raved about it.
AnneM said... (11/7/03 12:20 PM) Reply
Excellent matching job. Very nice.
Celeste said... (11/7/03 11:22 AM) Reply
Looks very dressy!
Teri said... (11/7/03 9:55 AM) Reply
Liana, I fixed the link. I hope it works now:)
Liana said... (11/6/03 11:16 PM) Reply
Your photo link isn't working. It sounds like an interesting pattern, and I'd really like to see it too!
Teri said... (9/8/03 11:48 AM) Reply
Georgette, I have many of her patterns also. I think I am going to try one of the jackets this winter. Please be sure to post a review if you sew up one.
Georgette Murphy said... (9/7/03 8:40 PM) Reply
I have many of Shermane's pattern and seeing your project has me looking at the pattern again. I am going to try again. I have trouble with fit but after taking some classes I understand a little more about fit. Thank you. grm
LindaB said... (8/13/03 10:32 AM) Reply
Looks great, I love the fabric and the relaxed look. What did happen to Shermane ?
Teri said... (8/12/03 9:23 AM) Reply
Thanks Pam. I think that pattern matching is one of the joys of sewing!
Pam Z said... (8/11/03 1:38 PM) Reply
Pattern matching makes this top look like expensive RTW. Nice work!