Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8414 (Jacket)

Reviewed by:Annette1

About Annette1starstarstarstar
Member since: 3/5/04
Posted on:8/26/08 3:38 AM
Last Updated:8/26/08 3:38 AM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 19 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket

Just Make it Sew

Quality Fashion Fabrics

nancy2001 said... (9/11/08 8:40 PM) Reply
Lovely jacket, flattering fit, beautifully made.
newlywedws said... (9/9/08 3:08 PM) Reply
Thank you for the detailed review - esp regarding the sleeve heads (which I'll be using on a project for my was esp helpful!
Sweetiebop said... (9/8/08 10:30 PM) Reply
Annette you write such amazing reviews and your clothes. . .Wow. I love to sew but I need your number so you can sew for me.
trishapatk said... (9/8/08 10:26 PM) Reply
Lovely jacket, so very classy looking.
Aunt Gail said... (9/6/08 3:35 AM) Reply
another great review...and a great jacket as well.
Nancy K said... (9/2/08 7:59 AM) Reply
The jacket is wonderful. Fit is always the first thing I look at and yours is terrific.
lilyofthevalley said... (9/1/08 4:11 PM) Reply
HA! Like you, I planned to sneak into the Lined Jacket Contest at the last moment, as well as the Mini-Wardrobe II Contest, this month. Unlike you, the SUPERWOMAN of both speed and precision, I'm left with a jacket and a lining; that's two separate pieces, mind you. And my jacket fabric didn't fight me, like yours did. Your jacket is sublimely beautiful and I very much like that little peplum. The killer buttons would be worth risking a shoplifting charge, on a low-cash day. You look beautiful! And everyone reading should pop over to Annette's Mini-Wardrobe to see how exquisitely this jacket enhances her other pieces. --Lily
Karendee said... (8/29/08 2:11 PM) Reply
Your reviews are so thorough; your garments are always winners. And congratulations of being posted as the most helpful this week. Your reviews are always helpful, perhaps the most informative reviews on this site. I feel I always all to my knowledge base when reading your pattern reviews.
Athene said... (8/29/08 0:47 AM) Reply
A fabulous jacket for your wardrobe. The styling of the front is so great and the buttons are TDF. I love your attention to detail - you look fabulous.
Luckylibbet said... (8/27/08 11:46 AM) Reply
Lovely, lovely, lovely. It may have been terrible fabric, but it sure looks great all sewn up. I like the peplum, too - elevates the jacket to one with distinctive style. And as always - super thorough review! I always learn something from your reviews. Good job and thanks!
Fran G said... (8/27/08 7:42 AM) Reply
I love this jacket..the color really appeals to me..and your photo of the classy. Too bad it was an unfriendly fabric, but oh so worth the aggravation! Review was great written in the usual "Annette" manner.
Darla in PA said... (8/27/08 7:16 AM) Reply
The jacket looks great! As does the whole wardrobe.
Annette1 said... (8/26/08 9:12 PM) Reply
I'm glad you mentioned that about the scarf, Moushka, because I DO have a piece that I was going to use for just that. In fact, I was going to use it when I was taking pictures, but it was so dang HOT up there on the porch, I said FORGET IT! :o)
moushka said... (8/26/08 8:07 PM) Reply
Fabulous jacket, fabulous outfits. The peplum looks terrific and, as Mahler said, distinctive without being OTT. You certainly beat that fabric into submission, lol. Is there enough left of the skirt fabric to make a small scarf and bring some of those lovely colours up towards your face? Sensational wardrobe.
craftylady66 said... (8/26/08 1:49 PM) Reply
Once again, beautiful work!
Beryl said... (8/26/08 1:05 PM) Reply
All your pieces are wonderful. I have wondered whether or not to use the peplum on this jacket. Thanks for the infomation.
Elona said... (8/26/08 11:12 AM) Reply
What a terrific, thorough review! Thanks for all the insights to your approach, pics, and construction details. The results are just lovely--and I also like the peplum. It sets the design apart without going outrageous or dated. And I think I love your fabric, cranky and difficult though it might be!
wreninrome said... (8/26/08 11:12 AM) Reply
very nice work...i love the buttons
gatorgirl4325 said... (8/26/08 11:06 AM) Reply
Very nice jacket - it compliments your other pieces well.
nancy2001 said... (8/26/08 10:54 AM) Reply
Simple, elegant, and gorgeous.
Mahler said... (8/26/08 10:40 AM) Reply
Fantastic review, thank you for the sleeve head trick. I learned that a long time a go and this refresher is excellent. I am sad you had all those problems with your fabric. The close-up pictures give the impression of a great looking fabric. For the peplum, I do not agree with you. I think it is a great addition. It gives fluidity and a distinctive look to the jacket. Though I am not a fan of extra details on garments, an half waist-belt over the peplum/back stitch could also be a great addition You even have extra buttons for it. ;-) I love all your outfits. You are a great sewer. five thumbs up to you !
Karen8320 said... (8/26/08 8:35 AM) Reply
Annette, this is just fabulous! The color is wonderful and so versatile that you will be able to match the jacket with numerous other pieces in your wardrobe. You know, I actually like the peplum. It's quite a nice and different look from the back. Very well done!
Beek said... (8/26/08 8:34 AM) Reply
Fabulous wardrobe Annette. It reminds me of Armani! Nicely constructed and comfortable-looking!
Kellie R. said... (8/26/08 7:50 AM) Reply
Lovely!!!!!! I love the jacket and am glad that once together, all of the frustrations of working the fabric pay off. Nice jacket!
Kbenco said... (8/26/08 7:44 AM) Reply
Your whole outfit is gorgeous. I love the buttons.
Re Becca said... (8/26/08 7:44 AM) Reply
This looks really beautiful on you. I am sorry that the fabric was a night mare, but it looks very well pressed and professional. IMO, it was worth all your hard work.
Peggy L said... (8/26/08 7:29 AM) Reply
It was worth the effort and I like the peplum, too.
arianamaniacs said... (8/26/08 4:35 AM) Reply
very nice, I think the peplum looks lovely :)
Sigrid. said... (8/26/08 3:46 AM) Reply
Annette, you've made yourself a wonderful wardrobe. The colors and patterns combine so well for you. This jacket is lovely, and I like the peplum. But like you say, it's easy to alter next time.

by: ladybegood