Pattern Reviews> Textile Studio> 1105 (Brussels Skirt)

Reviewed by:jlg

About jlgstarstarstarstar
Member since: 3/5/03
Posted on:8/13/03 6:10 PM
Last Updated:8/13/03 6:16 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 1 people
See other patterns in this category: Skirts
JDpenelope said... (1/23/05 12:05 PM) Reply
Thanks for the tips on the elastic. I am preparing to sew this pattern. I'm still a bit confused about how to measure the elastic for a good fit--I guess it makes a big difference whether you sew through it or use a casing. And of course the kind of elastic you use will change the result. I hope this skirt will work in some wool jersey in the stash.
jb said... (8/16/03 11:28 PM) Reply
What a wonderful pattern. I am going to purchase it. I loved the look,but reading all the great reviews about the pattern was wonderful
Sew it seams said... (8/16/03 9:58 AM) Reply
This outfit is beautiful! I love the fabrics and the tunic style with this skirt looks great.
Teri said... (8/14/03 12:16 PM) Reply
What a great outfit. It looks very nice on you. I love your garden. Much different looking than mine in the high desert!
SabrinaGA said... (8/14/03 11:07 AM) Reply
jlg, Awesome! I enjoyed the review on the tunic, and want to make the shorter version myself. It's nice to see the outfit come together! *grin* And oh! Is that pampass grass? Why, it's beautiful! Great garden! ;-)
Mini said... (8/14/03 7:47 AM) Reply
I'm glad this pattern worked for you. The color combination is really flattering. I am not a skirt person either, and this is the only skirt pattern I ever use. It is so easy and take so little fabric! I also lengthen the back vent for my big outdoor gal stride. Or, you can use a knit or stretch fabric for more walking comfort (I usually go down a size for this.)
Georgene said... (8/13/03 10:54 PM) Reply
Nice ensemble, jlg. You always choose your backgrounds with such care for your review photos, its always a pleasure to see your work.
SouthernStitch said... (8/13/03 9:33 PM) Reply
Another "pretty" review! I too enjoy your reviews as much for the scenery as for the garments!! Keep up the good work, your top and skirt look fabulous.
mudcat said... (8/13/03 8:35 PM) Reply
In regards to the elastic, it depends on what "brand" you use. If you use the elastic that Loes (which you can buy at The Sewing Place) recommends I find my waist minus 2-3 inches works best. A trick if it's too tight is to add another row of stitching through the elastic as it will tend to stretch it more.
jlg said... (8/13/03 7:22 PM) Reply
Great advice Donna. That didn't even occur to me. Thanks.
Donna Guy said... (8/13/03 7:11 PM) Reply
Great outfit--love the colors! Oh, you don't have to shorten your stride if you lengthen the vent. Just cut a box around the top of the vent and raise to about knee level or a little above. BTW, I enjoy your reviews as well as the views of your beautiful garden!
AnneM said... (8/13/03 7:06 PM) Reply
Like the shoes, or lack there of, & the pampass grass. Oh yes, I also like the skirt. Love how the skirt fabric goes w/ the top. With these positive reviews, I might have to consider this pattern.
jlg said... (8/13/03 6:38 PM) Reply
Thanks Tonia. The top is burda 8960, another pattern that I recommend.
Tonia Van Dyk said... (8/13/03 6:25 PM) Reply
Great summer outfit! I love the colours! Did you make your top too? They match beautifully. The Brussels skirt is one of my favourites - so quick and easy!

by: gabc