Online Sewing Class: Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 3240 (SB Pants)

Reviewed by:Rhonda Noah

About Rhonda Noahstarstarstar
United States
Member since: 4/8/02
Posted on:3/12/02 9:04 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
Rhonda Noah said... (10/4/03 4:32 PM) Reply
Cecelia, I've not sewn these pants up again, and so have not actually widened the calf. At the moment I'm rather brain dead on how it's done. I know it's important not to mess up the grain or the leg will twist. Perhaps you should ask Gigi or the experts on the pattern drafting thread. I'd just hate to steer you wrong. Good luck. Glad you are happy with the muslin.
Cecelia said... (10/4/03 2:07 PM) Reply
Hi Rhonda,just made a muslin of these pants and they fit well. First time I didn't have to add crotch length. Agree about the tummy and the calf width. How do you increase the calf width--same as tapering pants but only in reverse?
Rhonda Noah said... (9/30/03 3:00 AM) Reply
Go for it, Lin. These do look nice and I still enjoy wearing them. One note, though, is that the calf is very snug and they tend to hold up on my socks/stocking, whatever I'm wearing under them as a foot/leg covering. If I were to make these again, I would probably widen the pants in the calf by about an inch. I get so annoyed at having to pull my pants leg down every time I stand up. Another change I'd make is to put the zipper in the center back instead of on the side.
lin said... (9/29/03 8:32 PM) Reply
I just bought the pattern so this review gives me encouragement to start.
Everyday Sewist said... (6/22/03 8:59 PM) Reply
I found the legs very narrow in the calf--and I don't have thick calves. The thigh and seat are roomy and fit my "protruding seat" well also. I just wore these pants today, and I feel they are very nice--casual but very neat-looking.
Rhonda Noah said... (6/22/03 7:21 AM) Reply
Anne, the only thing I don't care for with this pattern is the fullness in front. Her draft is for a woman with a tummy, or at least much more tummy than I have. You may have to pinch out the excess there like I did. Also, the legs are a little snug, but if you use a lycra blend they will be more comfortable. Have fun!
AnneM said... (6/22/03 0:05 AM) Reply
Thanks for this review; I like this slim type of pant. I'm the same height, with the "protruding" seat. This might be a good choice!

by: French.Sea...