Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2880 (Misses' Formal Dress)

Reviewed by:Terri A

About Terri Astarstarstarstar
Member since: 1/16/08

Posted on:9/14/08 9:43 PM
Last Updated:9/14/14 7:07 PM

Vogue Patterns: 2880 by Terri A  Vogue Patterns: 2880 by Terri A
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 33 people
See other patterns in this category: Formalwear
Terri A said... (10/6/14 9:03 PM) Reply
Thx and yes- SO much work, as you know!!! ;) @arianamaniacs
arianamaniacs said... (9/24/14 12:49 PM) Reply
Turned out beautifully! I've sewn this dress as well, so I know how much work goes into it. Excellent end result!
CissieW said... (9/15/14 9:13 AM) Reply
What an amazing achievement! The dress is perfection -- and your persistence is inspiring!
Terri A said... (9/15/14 0:58 AM) Reply
Aww thanks - and Debbie thx so much!!! With the new format those pics needed updating, but it was fun to read back and remember. I'm amazed that I was so fearless - it was an awesome challenge.
chenille said... (9/14/14 11:33 PM) Reply
Just stunning! Thanks so much for sharing.
almost said... (9/14/14 10:26 PM) Reply
WOW!! Beautiful results after so much effort...paid off!!!
Debbie Dabbles said... (9/14/14 10:16 PM) Reply
Wow...... Just wow. Mi wasn't a member back then so missed the original journey. But the end result is just lovely. Glad to know it all went together in the end.
BirdyBooo said... (9/14/14 7:35 PM) Reply
Simply Amazing!
cnp71203 said... (9/28/08 4:33 PM) Reply
It is so lovely!
sherri2sew said... (9/25/08 7:19 PM) Reply
Another Wow! for the dress. And for your efforts, for not giving up, and for your accomplishment. Wow!
Dale C said... (9/22/08 3:09 PM) Reply
Wow!
Sew4Fun said... (9/18/08 7:04 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress and daughter!
JamieLiz said... (9/18/08 3:40 AM) Reply
A beautiful outcome from a heroic effort! Thanks for a fantastic review.
SusiM said... (9/17/08 6:25 PM) Reply
Well, everyone has already said everything good about this dress - so ditto. It's just an awesome creation! Now that you've got all the bugs worked out, the next one should be easy. ;-)
Terri A said... (9/16/08 8:05 PM) Reply
cindyanne - I just read your review for the Vogue dress you mentioned - spectacular! Loved reading it! Thank you!
ladybirdlove said... (9/16/08 8:27 AM) Reply
speechless
moushka said... (9/16/08 7:03 AM) Reply
May I suggest having DD's portrait taken in that dress? She looks beautiful in the pictures and you've created a masterpiece.
merteuil said... (9/16/08 2:55 AM) Reply
Amazing dress! Thanks so much for a wonderful review!
2BSewing said... (9/15/08 8:49 PM) Reply
The dress is beautiful and your work is amazing! Absolutely lovely!
ryansmumAria said... (9/15/08 8:05 PM) Reply
STunning! I have never done anything this complex - you are bold and amazing!
Terri A said... (9/15/08 6:23 PM) Reply
Just for me, the foundation was very bulky and stiff, especially compared to the chiffon. I would say that the boning was placed correctly under the shoulder straps, but it was heavier than the chiffon, so its weight held the straps off the shoulder and actually pulled them as you moved your arms naturally. They didn't stay in place but rather bounced. We wanted something that would hug the arm. I would add that a larger bust would prbly fill out that area better, but the dress IMHO might accomodate it better if the dress was one size bigger than the foundation. Just my opinion. If I made this again, I would buy two on sale, the proper dress size, and then one smaller for the foundation, and see which foundation size worked best.
LuceLu said... (9/15/08 5:49 PM) Reply
Very interesting! I am wondering about the foundation, was the problem that it was too bulky or that it caused the chiffon fashion fabric to bunch and pull that you decided to forgo it-- or did it just come down to the awkward placement of boning in the arm/shoulder straps?
nellc said... (9/15/08 5:35 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress, congratulations on making it through to the end of this project, it was worth it.
carolynw said... (9/15/08 2:26 PM) Reply
All your hard work and efforts paid off in an outstanding dress - well done!!
Karendee said... (9/15/08 2:11 PM) Reply
I think you did a wonderful job on this dress; it is lovely and distinctive.
Terri A said... (9/15/08 1:59 PM) Reply
Thanks for all your kind comments. I am blown away really! I am glad the length of the review wasn't too annoying:-) I tried to present it as it truly was... BTW, Nancy - It did cross my mind (repeatedly) that I might buy a dress somewhere. I was freaking out a bit there between steps 85 and 116... LOL
Amanda S. said... (9/15/08 12:55 PM) Reply
I have always loved this pattern, but boy is it intimidating. You did a fabulous job!
Mahogany Stylist said... (9/15/08 12:50 PM) Reply
Terri, What a beautiful work of art.
DorothyK said... (9/15/08 12:03 PM) Reply
This is amazing. That you would even attempt something like this is beyond my comprehension. What beautiful work! Thanks for writing such a good review.
Heatherrique said... (9/15/08 10:22 AM) Reply
Marvelous and impressive interpretation! Beautiful detailing! You definitlely are beyond your stated level!
cindyann said... (9/15/08 9:19 AM) Reply
Very pretty! I love the side lacing. I made a vogue dress very similar to this so I can appreciate the HARD work that you put into this. She looks lovely in it.
Kay Y said... (9/15/08 9:19 AM) Reply
Wow, that was a lot of work, but the results are outstanding. Strange the contrast between the control and effort required to make such an ethereal product!
Marji said... (9/15/08 9:13 AM) Reply
She looks lovely! Kudos for sticking with it.
Michele19 said... (9/15/08 8:58 AM) Reply
What a beautiful dress. I loved reading your story! 148 steps??? your bravery paid off, a wonderful achievement.
Nancy Rhodes said... (9/15/08 8:24 AM) Reply
OH MY What an intricate dress.. It is just lovely! Pretty color too. Stand proud Mom! You tackled a tough one and saw your way through to the end. I would have been crying my eyes out while I was standing with credit card in hand at the priciest dress shop in town buying my way out of that sort of difficulty... and that would have been on day two! I also enjoyed reading your progress notes.. Thanks for sharing with everyone here.
MarilynB said... (9/15/08 8:03 AM) Reply
The dress is absolutely beautiful. All your work was definitely worth the end results. As a possible substitute for the D rings next time, you might try covering cording with the fabric and making loops with it in place of the rings. Just a thought.
Nancy Anne said... (9/15/08 7:27 AM) Reply
Very nice job, and you show a lot of tenacity by agreeing to make a pattern with that many steps!
ButtonFaith said... (9/15/08 5:36 AM) Reply
The dress is outstanding....after accomplishing the 'corset', ruffles and 148 steps I think you can change your level to 'advanced'! Great, great job!
sewtime said... (9/15/08 0:39 AM) Reply
Incredible! So Lovely.
michellep74 said... (9/14/08 11:57 PM) Reply
Mouth-droppingly gorgeous dress! Thank you so much for sharing your process and final result with us!
Meggie LuLu said... (9/14/08 11:30 PM) Reply
WOW!!!! What a COOL dress!!!! I just LOVE the lace up detail!!!
CharityAK said... (9/14/08 11:07 PM) Reply
Oh wow! This is just mind-boggling. I can't imagine attempting something like this. But it looks absolutely fantastic. Soooo pretty.
meli88a said... (9/14/08 10:47 PM) Reply
wow. This is a beautiful dress!
Terri A said... (9/12/08 3:26 PM) Reply
It is for my daughter -she is in a wedding tmrw. Thanks!
kim*brown said... (9/12/08 10:06 AM) Reply
This is going to turn out beautiful and it will be worth all the work. Who is it for?
Mahler said... (9/10/08 10:29 AM) Reply
I am reading with great interest all you progresses with that dress. Thank you for reviewing so interestingly. !
pinkli said... (9/10/08 7:57 AM) Reply
So far so good, Terri. I completely agree about the amount of thread required. I went through so much when I made my version - it felt like I was constantly down to the shop to buy more. Looking at your review makes me want to make another version, as I had such fun (in a challenging way) making this dress. Enjoy the process, not to mention the final product! :)
Terri A said... (9/5/08 7:18 PM) Reply
Hey Roz, I can walk away from a lot of things and I am not a perfectionist in most every way, but when it comes to sewing... it just kills me if it isn't right!!!! How does Monk say that? It's a gift... and a curse:-)
Terri A said... (9/5/08 7:13 PM) Reply
LisaAnn, That is a fab dress! Dreamy blue chiffon! Thanks for the link!
rozzybabe said... (9/5/08 6:54 PM) Reply
I've read all the details of the extremely involved sewing you do, mostly formal, & your work's always looked outstanding. Now you're taking a real "dilly" on!! The fact you're willing to take out the ruffles, & loose lots of work time just shows how particular & precisely you sew your garments. Chiffon is a tricky fabric, IMO, so hang on because I know you'll have yet another unique, gorgeous gown when you're done. I'll check your blog in the hope of more details.
KathleenS said... (9/5/08 6:42 PM) Reply
Looks good so far. I was excited to see the pattern because I have it too (and have been somewhat deterred by the amount of cutting). I don't have any useful advice though - just go slow, take care, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Terri A said... (9/5/08 5:11 PM) Reply
Oh - Marji - that is true - stitching the ruffles down could backfire! Thx for the tip:-)
Terri A said... (9/5/08 5:09 PM) Reply
Thanks for all the positive feedback. I need it on this one. The D rings are on a drape panel that laces up on the side. You can see it more easily in the line drawing for view A on the pattern picture. There is a side zipper on the other side. Thanks for the tips on the ruffles. I think I will buy the chiffon in the same color that doesn't have sequins and just serge them - maybe it will look better than the sequin fabric would have anyway- since there are lumps randomly wherever sequins are in a serged edge, or a narrow machine hem.... thanks:-)!!!!
LisaAnn said... (9/5/08 3:46 PM) Reply
I had done a serged edge (rolled hem) on chiffon once. I noticed that it worked very well on one part of the fabric but not another. It had to do with the grain, I think it worked better on bias cuts than the straight edge. You can kind of see it here http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh200/lcchick/103107wedding021.jpg?t=1220643875 on the side of the dress. When I tried to serge the bottom of the dress, it was a disaster. It was like the serged part was pulling away from the fabric. I ended up just narrow hemming that part. It didn't look as I had wanted it to, but it was okay. Ya gotta love chiffon! Best of luck with the remainder of the dress, what you have looks very pretty!
Deepika said... (9/5/08 3:41 PM) Reply
wow, 29 pieces!!! I can't wait to see what the finished dress looks like. I love the fabric you chose. What are the d-rings for?
Marji said... (9/5/08 2:27 PM) Reply
that dress is a lot of work, but it will be really pretty when you've got it done. If it were me, I'd use the "couching over a piece of crochet cotton or string" method to gather, then baste it in place until your fitting, because this dress requires absolute perfect fit. If you stitch those gathers down, then have to rip them out, it'll be worse than losing just an hours worth of work. It's looking good so far.
crisford said... (9/5/08 10:37 AM) Reply
Hang in there! It looks beautiful so far, in your photo. I will be interested to know what you finally did for the ruffle edge. I have tried different methods for just this, but it seems to depend on the stiffness of the fabric.
wreninrome said... (9/5/08 10:05 AM) Reply
wow...sounds like a lot of blood, sweat, and tears, but it looks beautiful

Pin-up Girls 1230