Online Sewing Class: Altering Jackets

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8483 (Vogue Woman Wardrobe)

Reviewed by:carolynw

About carolynwstarstarstar
Member since: 3/19/05
Posted on:9/4/08 3:24 PM
Last Updated:9/4/08 4:32 PM

See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket    Suits / Separates    Pants

Sweater knit fabrics

carolmc said... (8/1/09 1:47 PM) Reply
I am looking for comments about the pants pattern that is also part of this pattern ensemble. Has anyone ever made the pants????
OlindaM said... (12/23/08 11:41 AM) Reply
Have just bought this pattern & hope to make up over the Christmas break - seeing the photo of a real person wearing the jacket is motivating - well done to you it looks great!
moushka said... (9/14/08 9:45 PM) Reply
Thanks so much for reviewing this pattern. Your version is terrific. Love the denim and closure. I thought this one had a lot of potential and bought it when it first came out. Glad to see yours turned out so well. I saw some embroidered wool at Fabricland that I think would look fabulous in this pattern.
carolynw said... (9/6/08 9:17 AM) Reply
Harriett - the facing is wide enough to allow for opening and fold back of both lapels wth no interior seams showing. It's great with the same fabric facing - but also would be a good place to use a complimentary color for added oomph!! I think it would also work for a two sided fabric and thus eliminate the need for a facing - just my opinion
Harriet Rogers said... (9/5/08 5:39 PM) Reply
Your jacket is fantastic-looking. Great style and color for you.Thanks so much for detailed review. Am I right in thinking that to wear the collar open, the fabric should be the same on both sides? If so, did you have to widen the facing piece to insure that this occurred? Thanks for attention.
shesflipped said... (9/5/08 3:58 PM) Reply
Fantastic looking jacket! It looks wonderful on you!
cecelia said... (9/5/08 8:27 AM) Reply
I can't believe this is a "Vogue Woman" pattern. It is very striking--love it for the unusual details.
Karen8320 said... (9/5/08 7:51 AM) Reply
Clin, this looks really good and I think it really suits you. The asymmetrical closing is a nice feature. I'm sure that with different fabrics this could be a very versatile pattern. It is lovely to put a face to your beautiful work!
Mahler said... (9/4/08 10:23 PM) Reply
Bonjour Clin, I am pleased to put a face on your name ! I like you jacket very much. This is more then a muslin, you are right.
Vonnevo said... (9/4/08 8:30 PM) Reply
Clin, your jacket is fabulous and the style is versatile too. What a bonus to have a nice jacket from a not-so-loved piece of fabric :)
Annette1 said... (9/4/08 6:58 PM) Reply
Carolyn: Well, you know me ALL TOO WELL! As soon as I saw your picture, I thought, I LOVE THAT! I went right online to see which pattern it is, and GUESS WHAT? It's on sale for only $5.99 "rat now." :o)) This looks GREAT on you. I love the asymmetrical closure, the loop buttons, and the FIT. I'm especially glad to see this one made up, because I'm never sure how true to form it will be when you only have a drawing to go by, particularly when there's an unusual element such as this collar. And I didn't even NOTICE the pants until you pointed them out. Dang it, I'm going to have to order it. (Carolyn made me do it, I'll vow.) I'm ALSO glad to finally put your pretty face to your name! :o)
Mufffet said... (9/4/08 5:28 PM) Reply
This is a pretty jacket. I like the warm look to it.
Kellie R. said... (9/4/08 4:32 PM) Reply
This is really cute! I think it's great with the denim, even though it was intended to be a muslin. Great job!
Aunt Gail said... (9/4/08 3:46 PM) Reply
I've had this pattern for about 6 months and am working my way up to it! So, I truly appreciate that thorough review you gave it. What would you think of making the very same jacket with a fabric that is not as stiff as the embroidered denim you used? Also, I really appreaciate the pix you have posted of the jacket open, I had no idea that it would like THAT good! Your review has inspired me to put this pattern Up on a Notch or two on my TO DO patterns. Thank you.

PerfectFuseTailorUltra Black