Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8918 (Pullover top)

Reviewed by:CarrieA

About CarrieAstar
Member since: 4/8/02
Posted on:8/24/03 0:19 AM
Last Updated:8/24/03 10:44 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people
CarrieA said... (8/25/03 2:32 PM) Reply
No, not the seams, just the top stitching.
Deepika said... (8/25/03 1:59 PM) Reply
Thanks for your comments Carrie. Did you actually use two threads in the needle to sew this? Even the seams?
Mariko said... (8/25/03 8:41 AM) Reply
I like your top! Sounds like you had some difficulties in sewing with microsuede, however, it looks really nice and the plain cream/white color brings out the design very well. I'll add this pattern to my wish list!
CarrieA said... (8/24/03 9:20 PM) Reply
Thanks for the comments. Georgene, of course! Duh...I seem to get stuck in the obvious. Thanks for the suggestions. Deepika, I think what I mean by weight is really drape. Since it's a tunic style, and rather up and down, if there isn't enough drape it would stand away from the bustline and have that "when are you due?" look that I avoid like the plague. I wouldn't recommend going down in size as it would probably be too tight across the shoulders and across the hips. It's long enough to cover my rear, so if too tight, it might ride up in an unflattering way. If I were to make it again (and I just might) I would choose a fabric that has more color or a cool texture/patten. The style is casual, so the fabric is what will make it interesting. The microsuede was easy to work with but I wish I has used the beautiful blue piece I bought. By the way since I know you have some of the microsuede, I used a smaller needle size, and two threads and longer stitch length to topstitch. Also, a thimble when hand basting...this stuff is tough! The suggested fabrics are linen (like the cover picture) heavyweight rayon and crepes. Actually, a drapey crepe would look great in this.
Jennie Pakula said... (8/24/03 8:10 PM) Reply
You did a fantastic job! What a lovely top!
Deepika said... (8/24/03 7:49 PM) Reply
Carrie you made it! wow. looks fabulous. I have this pattern and this review is now really inspiring me to make it. Why do you say that the fabric should be weighty? What in your opinion are good fabric choices for this pattern. I too want to make the view you made.
jlg said... (8/24/03 6:12 PM) Reply
I like your top a lot. I would never have thought of that fabric, but it seems to work beautifully.
aperiolat said... (8/24/03 5:40 PM) Reply
The top is awesome! I really like the style and the choice in fabric sounds so comfy to wear. You did a wonderful job on it. I like the topstitching also.
Katy M said... (8/24/03 6:45 AM) Reply
I think it looks gorgeous! Great job!
Georgene said... (8/24/03 5:26 AM) Reply
Nice top! You can still convert your tie to a button and loop by clipping one end and sewing closed and making a loop from the other end. It might be nice with a wooden button or something like a bead. P.S. I really like your dark green leafy background with the plum color dressform in the photo, it shows off the top really well.

Favorite Things Little Nightie Night Pattern