Online Sewing Class: Pattern Work

Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 3450 (Misses Tops and Skirt)

Reviewed by:Annette1

About Annette1starstarstarstar
Member since: 3/5/04
Posted on:9/24/08 8:14 PM
See other patterns in this category: Tops    Skirts

staging lady said... (3/25/13 6:37 AM) Reply
Thanks for a very informative and funny review. I just got this pattern in a discount sale so your instructions are really going to help. I love the top and necklace. Spending time on here today as we have 8-10 foot snow outside our door in this the first week of Spring 2013 and we are cut off! Tme to sew now we have the electric back on!
Gelbean said... (10/21/08 11:28 PM) Reply
Very cute top. Great review too.
AnneM said... (10/8/08 6:12 AM) Reply
Nice style on you, I think. It works in your fabric, so I'm sure it will be even better in the new fabrics.
Karendee said... (10/6/08 6:37 PM) Reply
As usual, this was a very helpful and informative review. I liked both your tops, but I like the shorter amt. of ruching on the taupe top better. Just MO. I will keep Aunt Ruth in my prayers; I grew quite fond of seeing her when you were making the red and yellow jackets for her for her birthday.
Meggie LuLu said... (9/29/08 5:48 PM) Reply
What a CUTE shirt!! I LOVE it!!!!
Heatherrique said... (9/26/08 2:34 AM) Reply
Annette, you may call this a muslin, but for some mysterious reason I think you are chanelling the ingenuity of Halston. Of all the designers, I just don't know why I chose him. I have admired his trend setting and cutting edge designs (beyond the 60's Braniff flight attendant outfits). Well, lo, and behold I found a 70s/80s Halston dress with the the same color and design elements of your top: Classic Halston ruched front dress. I hope everything's alright for your Aunt Anna Ruth.
2BSewing said... (9/25/08 7:55 PM) Reply
Nice top! I love this pattern. Great style. Enjoyed your review. :)
appleton78 said... (9/25/08 3:02 PM) Reply
Excellent review! It made me smile and was VERY informative! "Busty Little Number"... : ) I understand this all to well being a DD also. I will have to refer to it as--being a"BLN" also... THX for this wonderful review! BTW, you look great in this top!!!
michellep74 said... (9/25/08 2:00 PM) Reply
Very cute top! Thanks for sharing the details of how you did your FBA on this one!
tr1c14 said... (9/25/08 1:15 PM) Reply
Not only did you make what looks (to me) like a really nice, well-fitting top, the details you included were really helpful. I don't know your Aunt, but I'm wishing her the best.
Luckylibbet said... (9/25/08 12:50 PM) Reply
Annette, I've been thinking about Anna Ruth ever since the storm hit, and keeping her in my thoughts. I'm sure glad to hear at least that she's OK. Hoping her house is OK as well. Oh, and the shirt- fabulous job as always! I really like the style, but know what you mean about it needing the RIGHT knit.
lilyofthevalley said... (9/25/08 12:39 PM) Reply
Annette, loved your review of the ruching journey, and think you made really intelligent decisions with your alterations. Both are quite flattering and have me thinking, too, about a top with ruching extending the length of the bodice. So, thanks for the inspiration. I'm smiling about your muslin reluctance, to which I can relate. You look really pretty. And lastly, thanks for the word on Aunt Anna Ruth; I've been worrying about her. Please let us know when you have an update. --Lily
Sigrid. said... (9/25/08 7:33 AM) Reply
Annette, your MUSLIN was worth the extra effort, very cute top, and you have perfect fit. Love the necklace too. And another French word is toile. Sounds nicer than muslin, but it's only a word. The work is the same.
tenaya said... (9/25/08 5:26 AM) Reply
It looks great, and my prayers will be with Aunt Anna Ruth.
Aunt Gail said... (9/24/08 11:34 PM) Reply
As always, Annette... I so enjoyed your review and what you did to make it all kinda work out. You look pretty good in that black top - and it actually makes me brave enough to think -- notice t-h-i-n-k about actually making something like that for myself. Have I raved about why I like your reviews - besides us having the same body type? You add the right amount of pix, humor and real life experience to all of them. Hugs and double hugs!
Mahler said... (9/24/08 10:42 PM) Reply
Annette, muslin in French is "mousseline" which is a type light and transparent cotton that originally was made in Moussol a city in the middle east. I don't know if in French we can use it like all sewer on PR use it. For me, as I once said, a mousseline is a wonderful dessert. If you hate that word that much, well you can call those pieces of clothing, canvas like the ones artiste use to create a master piece. Sooo.... The beefy knit might have been to heavy but it looked good and it did not have the whimpy thing at the bottom. The next one with a midweight knit will be perfect. I wonder what it would look with rushing all the way down ? Nice top !
carolynw said... (9/24/08 10:23 PM) Reply
Annette I like this top - I made it using a Slinky knit - looking for nice knits try EOS - she has some good stuff as does Ann at Gorgeous Fabrics. I hope your Aunt Ruth is OK - not sure she should ahve gone back - what we are seeing on TV doesn't look like it would make for comfortable living - will say a prayer.
Karen8320 said... (9/24/08 10:06 PM) Reply
Annette, I think this is a great look for you and it is a very flattering pattern. The muslin (which I actually think looks really good) highlights the ruching to good effect. I love both colors - taupe and black are so smart and coordinate well with so many other colors. I think you've done a great job with this pattern and can't wait to see it sewn up in a fabric that you think will suit it better. You look great in this top and the jewelry is perfect for it!
Mrs.Moos said... (9/24/08 9:32 PM) Reply
I Really like your tops--even the M-U-S-L-I-N! But the black one and the jewelry you picked is an A+! I MUST have this pattern now--thanks for enabling me!
j222b said... (9/24/08 9:32 PM) Reply
Wimpy and Beefy tops are glamorous, lady-like, and sexy all at once. Your review is funny, too.
Athene said... (9/24/08 9:24 PM) Reply
This is a grea top, its very flattering. Smart idea to do the ruching over a longer distance. I hope your Aunt Anna Ruth's home is okay.
sewtime said... (9/24/08 8:53 PM) Reply
Cute top with a great fit! I love your review, you really put your heart into it. Have fun with more sewing!

Burda 7434