Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 10-2007-111 (My white and black trenchcoat)

Reviewed by:LauraLo

About LauraLostarstarstarstar
Member since: 1/25/06
Posted on:10/3/08 7:48 AM
Last Updated:10/3/08 9:59 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 35 people
strid said... (1/11/09 8:52 AM) Reply
You are a very talented designer. I'm certain it took hours to hand stitch the detail, but the results are very couture.
Sew4Fun said... (10/14/08 6:45 PM) Reply
Fabulous trench coat! Love it! I especially like your black, hand topstitching and buttons. The contrast really makes the coat. Incredible work!
EveS said... (10/6/08 10:47 PM) Reply
Seriously fabulous and incredibly helpful review as ever!!
carolynw said... (10/6/08 10:18 PM) Reply
This is beyond well done - it is so professionally finished that I think in any haute couture store you would pay $$$$ for it - beautiful work - very very impressive.
N_Vogue said... (10/5/08 9:03 PM) Reply
Awesome!!!! Details!!!!
SewSewHappy said... (10/4/08 10:09 AM) Reply
I'm speachless..........amazing!
Marji said... (10/4/08 9:16 AM) Reply
This is fabulous. You've inspired me to go with the hand topstitching on my latest jacket. I've been waffling. So happy to see you're back at your machine!
apple annie said... (10/4/08 8:57 AM) Reply
Exquisite trench with fabulous details. I admire your patience with the perfect top-stitching.
Fran G said... (10/4/08 8:13 AM) Reply
I wish I could think of something original that has not already been said, but I am so in awe of your trenchcoat that my thoughts can only repeat what has been said. This coat is gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! Your techniques and links are so helpful. Your topstitching..by hand no less..brings such life to your trench. And you do lookk fabulous in white!
eword10 said... (10/4/08 7:40 AM) Reply
Beautiful coat! I love the black running stitch especially.
Jolet said... (10/4/08 7:13 AM) Reply
Very, very nice coat!! Great result and I love the black and white contrast!!
trinicity said... (10/4/08 7:11 AM) Reply
what a beautiful trench, this looks amazing on your Laura
Woolygal said... (10/4/08 6:55 AM) Reply
Great Coat.
Annette1 said... (10/4/08 6:10 AM) Reply
LOVE the white with the black topstitching. I have a white leather jacket, and I'm always surprised that I never see anybody else with one. White's just so SMART looking. You look GREAT in your new trench!
Kitty Couture said... (10/4/08 3:02 AM) Reply
Laura, your coat is fantastic! So couture. I love the topstitching.
kerrynw said... (10/4/08 1:51 AM) Reply
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL jacket! All the hand stitching was worth the overall professional finished look. I loved your review and found it very helpful.
crisford said... (10/4/08 0:06 AM) Reply
This is so beautiful and what a wonderful job you did!
Mahler said... (10/3/08 11:41 PM) Reply
Talk about a trench coat with style. Oh la la, chic and choc. Superb. Great review, thank you so much for all the tips and tricks.
LindsayT said... (10/3/08 9:31 PM) Reply
This is fabulous! I love the topstitching.
Winifred said... (10/3/08 6:45 PM) Reply
What else can I say but I am in awe of your skills - a beautifully executed coat - all that hand topstitching! And a super clean apartment too ? You deserve an award. Love Winifred xx
svetlana said... (10/3/08 6:31 PM) Reply
Your coat is gorgeous and your review is so helpful. I am pretty much self taught, and your reviews always send me to new teachers. Thanks for all the helpful links. You look smashing in this coat, by the way
lilyofthevalley said... (10/3/08 5:38 PM) Reply
Laura, spectacular! I like how you look in white, too, and you look gorgeous. Your detail work is exquisite, as well. This is one very special trench coat. Lovely, Lily
Sheila457 said... (10/3/08 3:28 PM) Reply
Awesome Trenchcoat
ConnieBJ said... (10/3/08 3:09 PM) Reply
umm.. WOW! Another Gosh Laura I Love It! moment!
Leora said... (10/3/08 2:46 PM) Reply
Beautiful work!
Karendee said... (10/3/08 1:49 PM) Reply
Another fantastic trench! I am a fan of your Royal silk trench, and this white one ranks as high. The handstitching is an outstanding accent. Enjoy this beauty!
Karen6790 said... (10/3/08 1:30 PM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful. I've been thinking trenchcoat thoughts for a while and you've just pushed me to start thinking harder. Thanks for all the links and extras on how you did everything. I love the hand-sewn topstitching. It really adds that perfect extra to an already gorgeous trench.
canei said... (10/3/08 1:27 PM) Reply
Nice!
Twinset said... (10/3/08 11:49 AM) Reply
I adore your coat! Can I have one? :-) Thanks for the super helpful review; I will refer to it when I'll make a coat. GREAT job!
gatorgirl4325 said... (10/3/08 11:25 AM) Reply
Oh, my goodness!! Your trench is gorgeous!
Mary Stiefer said... (10/3/08 10:00 AM) Reply
This is beautiful and you can't go wrong with black and white - classic.
Elke said... (10/3/08 9:54 AM) Reply
This is beautiful! Thanks for the great review and helpful links.
moushka said... (10/3/08 9:53 AM) Reply
Lauralo - you have a great talent for combining the zeitgeist of the moment into one superb garment, in this case your beautiful trench coat. Fabulous coat enhanced several notches by the brilliant hand saddle-stitching. I think the reverse colour scheme (white on black) would look terrific, too. Great work and great review. Thank you.
cindyann said... (10/3/08 9:35 AM) Reply
So cool! Fantastic review.
HLT said... (10/3/08 9:13 AM) Reply
Stunning!!!
narcissaqtpie said... (10/3/08 9:03 AM) Reply
beautiful!
Lynnelle said... (10/3/08 8:54 AM) Reply
Always nice work and informative reviews. Well done, Laura.
Nancy Rhodes said... (10/3/08 8:52 AM) Reply
Oh Goodness what a superb result. I especially like the hand-sewn top stitching AND the placement of the stitches at the hem. Great design detail.
mamalobb said... (10/3/08 8:36 AM) Reply
I love the jacket. Now I'll need to add another project to my list. Thanks also for the links to some of the more difficult techniques. It's the little hints and tips that really make a difference in home sewing.
Lori V said... (10/3/08 8:27 AM) Reply
Your trenchcoat is incredible. Wonderful job on all the details and thanks for a very helpful review.
dbsewer said... (10/3/08 8:24 AM) Reply
Wow, you did yet another great job in creating a beautiful garment. Thanks for all the links, too. I wasn't aware that Kathleen's book had sewing instructions. I thought it was only a business book. Your coat is gorgeous and the hand detail perfect. Thanks for a great, detailed review.

Understanding Interfacings