Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1060 (MISSES' COAT)

Reviewed by:Sharon M

About Sharon Mstarstarstarstar
MN USA
Member since: 8/3/02
Posted on:10/12/08 12:22 PM
See other patterns in this category: Outerwear
iSewQuiltArt said... (9/30/10 6:44 PM) Reply
Thanks for a great in depth review, you have keyed me into quite a few things to watch out for when I sew this coat up shortly. Thankyou!!
swany said... (1/11/09 11:40 AM) Reply
I am glad I read these reviews. I am in the process of making this coat with a linings. I definately will leave out one dart on both the front and back and see how that goes.
cindy-lou said... (11/18/08 5:50 PM) Reply
Sharon-- GREAT review! I'm working on this coat right now. A friend in my sewing class warned me that I might want to try on her muslin-- she pointed out to me that a Sandra size C is listed as a 30.5 inch waist, but that this coat in a size C has (printed on the pattern piece) a finished garment waist measurement of 30.0 inches. Huh? Negative ease in a coat? So I tried her version and will make an 'E' and see how it goes. Yours is gorgeous, darling! Thanks as always for having the same taste as I do and making this ahead of me. :)
Gelbean said... (10/21/08 0:47 AM) Reply
Gorgeous coat.
Jane Warren said... (10/16/08 0:22 AM) Reply
Sharon, I love your coat. I have just finished this one - and, like you I had to take out some of the darts - I removed a set at front and at the back. I made in a "plus" size, but it seems that if you had the same issue with the fit, it could well be the pattern and not us (well, I like to think so!)
Beek said... (10/13/08 12:02 PM) Reply
Fun coat! And what a wonderful review. Thanks!
moushka said... (10/13/08 11:29 AM) Reply
Very chic. SB has a gallery page on her website. You should send her a picture of your coat, I'm sure she'd love it! Great review, thanks for the warning about the darts.
Allie in Hong Kong said... (10/13/08 8:17 AM) Reply
This is absolutely gorgeous, I would never have looked at this pattern before seeing your review. Love the fabric, sleeve hem shape and the tie waist detail.
Darla in PA said... (10/13/08 6:42 AM) Reply
Cute coat!
Danvillegirl said... (10/13/08 5:35 AM) Reply
Very nice!
Kitty Couture said... (10/13/08 4:13 AM) Reply
This looks fantastic!
EveS said... (10/12/08 11:19 PM) Reply
I'd be happy w/ 9 mos of coat weather if I had this coat!! Love your fabric and the tie, too! Great stuff, Sharon! ps - Please don't smoke. ;) heehee
Josephine said... (10/12/08 11:13 PM) Reply
That is great!! Now I want one! :-)
Kay Y said... (10/12/08 9:45 PM) Reply
I like the inside as much as the outside! Gotta love HK finished seams, especially in such a snappy contrast fabric.
Lori V said... (10/12/08 8:14 PM) Reply
Fabulous coat.
RLL said... (10/12/08 5:00 PM) Reply
Love the coat, love the fabric. Your version is so much nicer than the envelope version. I would never purchase that pattern by the envelope pic, but your coat is much more convincing of a purchase. Thanks for a nice detailed review too.
Annette1 said... (10/12/08 4:59 PM) Reply
I've mulled this pattern over many a time, wondering how it would look made up "for real." Well, now I know: EXQUISITE! I just LOVE this, EVERY LITTLE DETAIL. Brilliant choice of fabric, too. How about next time you have something that requires hand sewing, you send it to me, and in return I'll send you ALL of my ironing? :o)
Athene said... (10/12/08 3:47 PM) Reply
A lovely coat. Thank you for all the tips. I can visual it in denim for the spring - I think it would look great.
Karendee said... (10/12/08 3:27 PM) Reply
Not only is your coat beautiful, it has lovely workmanship. I found the inside back view so interesting, that I "dreamed" about making the coat with the seams sewn right side out with a lovely contrast trim. I thought it was a great idea. I do have this pattern and plan to make it in some form. Thanks for this thorough review.
sewtime said... (10/12/08 3:17 PM) Reply
Really a beautiful coat! Love the fabric.
lyra said... (10/12/08 2:19 PM) Reply
That is such a beautiful, swanky looking coat! :-)
QuiltersFan said... (10/12/08 1:52 PM) Reply
Thanks for the detailed review. I have a large SB pattern collection and was going to pass this one by but I think you have convinced me not to.
Rebecca D said... (10/12/08 1:48 PM) Reply
What a lovely version of this coat and thank you so much for reviewing it. I have my fabric picked out, I just have to make time to sew it. Your review was extremely helpful.
marec said... (10/12/08 1:19 PM) Reply
Very nice coat Sharon. I love the fabric and think the design is so chic. I have just fiished a jacket using upholestry fabric so I was interested to see the inside finishes on your work. Mine is not nearly as nice! Thanks for sharing, marec
Aunt Gail said... (10/12/08 1:16 PM) Reply
Absolutely a marvelous review. I especially liked the TRUE Confessions of the review, in which you admittedly skipped a step and then had to rectify it. THAT is why we love in depth Pattern Reviews. I print out ones like yours when I sew the pattern. It is like having the Voice of Wisdom--or at least--Experience right next to me. The INSIDE of your coat is just as exciting as the outside. Your extra effort certainly shows with the pix you provided.
Dei said... (10/12/08 12:32 PM) Reply
Beautiful and what a creative use of fabric.
Bonnie O said... (10/12/08 12:27 PM) Reply