Online Sewing Class: Sew a Designer Unlined Jacket

Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5219 (Fast & Easy)

Reviewed by:Seaspur

About Seaspurstarstar
BC CANADA
Member since: 2/24/04
Posted on:10/19/08 1:13 PM
Last Updated:10/19/08 1:13 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 6 people
AnneM said... (11/5/08 4:54 PM) Reply
The top is cute except that back neckline. I wonder if the fabric is just too drapey for this style. If you still have it, perhaps you can save this particular top (which looks very nice other than that, & the fabric really looks comfy) by doing some design-feature darts to bring it in & have it hug your body a bit more. If you do a number of small darts spread over the back it might work.
Gelbean said... (10/21/08 0:19 AM) Reply
It looks lovely in the photo. I can see why you don't like the back neckline. That's kind of weird. Thanks for the very helpful review.
greenandlilac said... (10/20/08 1:32 AM) Reply
Lesson learned, never loan out patterns, offer to trace if they don't want to buy their own.
avancleve said... (10/19/08 9:49 PM) Reply
avancleve said... (10/19/08 9:40 PM) Reply
I did this one as well. Did not turn out for me. I did skip the interfacing and have to say, my neck turned out MUCH better. After it was all done it was just to large for me, even after taking in the sides. I also thought the band at the bottom did not hang well on me. On a good note I did have my sister in law try it on and it looked great on her, the bottom band looked great on her. So after trying it twice for myself.....I have come to the conclusion it is not for me, but since it looked so great on my sister in law it can work for others. So sorry about your sunshine top pattern. I want that one as well, but it is far to expensive once you pitch in for shipping and handling (shame on the person you loaned it to :(
kasizzle said... (10/19/08 8:06 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review, I have this one in my stash and was considering making it up.
callmeRuth said... (10/19/08 7:35 PM) Reply
Your top looks similar to the Kwik Sew pattern I recently reviewed. Try this pattern if you want the look without the problems of the Butterick pattern. Oh--just noticed--the Kwik Sew has raglan sleeves, the Butterick does not.
sewtime said... (10/19/08 7:29 PM) Reply
I also have this pattern and will greatly benefit from your review. It is a very pretty top. And the color is just beautiful. It is so frustrating when a pattern does not turn out just right.
Judy Wentz said... (10/19/08 6:56 PM) Reply
I have this pattern. I hope that I can figure out how to make it without the neck problem. The front is just precious.
tlmck3 said... (10/19/08 6:49 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. I cut this out weeks ago but never finished it because the weather cooled off. I will definitely interface both sides of the neckband when I do finish it up. The other reviewer of this top also had a problem with it.
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (10/19/08 6:04 PM) Reply
Seaspur, don't give up on the pattern yet. I'm trying to figure out what happened. I just finished this top and my back neckline look fine. I'll load a picture as soon as I dump my memory card. I did have trouble with the neckline because the interfaced section shrunk after fusing and I had to do lots of snipping to get it to fit. The next time I will fuse first, then cut the neck band.
crazygrad said... (10/19/08 3:40 PM) Reply
The shirt is cute, but the back neck is weird. This pattern is in stash contest pile. So this review is helpful. Maybe I'll make it with some fabric that I don't love! Thanks!
Twisted Kitty said... (10/19/08 1:19 PM) Reply
Good review - I DEFINITELY won't be trying this pattern!! That back neck just looks odd!...

BurdaStyle Magazine 12-2014-132