Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 06-2008-118 (Dress)

Reviewed by:Kbenco

About Kbencostarstarstar
AUSTRALIA
Member since: 11/8/06
Posted on:10/23/08 8:07 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 16 people
Johanna Lu said... (11/10/08 3:44 AM) Reply
This dress is soo gorgeous, I just love your interpretation of the pattern, also I'm having serious bouts of smocking envy :)
Sew4Fun said... (11/6/08 11:55 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress! I really love the smocking detail.
KathleenS said... (10/31/08 7:23 PM) Reply
All the contrast colour details are great, really worthwhile.
3KillerBs said... (10/26/08 7:43 PM) Reply
The smocking makes the dress.
popoagiesmiles said... (10/25/08 11:43 AM) Reply
This reminds me of the difference between the way peasant skirts looked on me when I was a size 4 and how they look on me at size 10. At size 4, the gathers lightly filled me out and my tiny waist was accentuated. At size 10, a peasant skirt looks okay but doesn't flatter me as much as a smoother style does. Seems like gathers may flatter a slight girlish figure more than even a relatively slim womanly figure. You actually look good in your first dress, but I understand that it was not the look you were going for. Great job on the dresses. I love the pink/green version. Very in while also being modest and wearable. This style can be old-fashioned or up to the minute, depending on the fabric and embellishment.
Miss Fairchild said... (10/24/08 7:58 AM) Reply
Isn't it something when we recant? But then, the dress looks beautiful and we wouldn't have seen its beauty if you didn't. I think your first dress looks fine, but I can certainly understand your feeling; this one's better. Looking at the line drawing, my first impression was complementary colors, like a blue dress with an orange tie, but your color choice is more pleasing to the eye.
arianamaniacs said... (10/24/08 4:55 AM) Reply
Wonderful color combination, a beautiful dress!
josie e said... (10/24/08 0:22 AM) Reply
Love it! Stylish, but still young and fun. Your daughter looks fabulous and your smocking work is just gorgeous
Annette1 said... (10/24/08 0:07 AM) Reply
This is BEAUTIFUL! I liked the FIRST one too, though. :o) I'm always in awe of your smocking skills, something that I would NEVER have the patience (not to mention know-how) to do. This COLOR is gorgeous. Your beautiful daughter is looking quite grown up!
Miz Lolly said... (10/23/08 10:47 PM) Reply
Wow, it's so beautiful! Love the contrast piping and smocking!
meli88a said... (10/23/08 3:57 PM) Reply
so, SO SO cute! The smocking is a perfect touch.
LindsayT said... (10/23/08 1:45 PM) Reply
Very nice! Love the extra touches.
michellep74 said... (10/23/08 1:34 PM) Reply
I agree--the solid color/trim make a huge difference! Absolutely lovely dress!
Christas said... (10/23/08 1:09 PM) Reply
Excellent review! I love it when smocking can be incorporated into garments for older girls. This is such a beautiful dress. You did a lovely job on it!
Vintage Joan said... (10/23/08 12:30 PM) Reply
This dress is a knock-out! The green is a wonderful contrast to the pink, and the smocking is sooo lovely. I'm glad you listened to the people who encouraged you after your first attempt. They/you were right -- the fabric was the problem last time, not the pattern.
katlew03 said... (10/23/08 11:34 AM) Reply
What great designer details that really take this dress from ordinary to extraordinary.
CynthiaSue said... (10/23/08 11:27 AM) Reply
you are a true creative talent. what a piece of true craftsmanship. she looks lovely!
sewtime said... (10/23/08 11:06 AM) Reply
Cute dress! No wonder you made another one! Great review-great dress!
Barbara V said... (10/23/08 11:02 AM) Reply
Smocking on the front section is so clever. I really must try it sometime. It adds much interest along with the contrasting sash and trim. Very pretty dress.
gatorgirl4325 said... (10/23/08 10:18 AM) Reply
Fantastic job on this dress - the smocking, piping and contrast color is just enough to give it some WOW!
mastdenman said... (10/23/08 9:43 AM) Reply
I like the solid color with trim version much better than the print version too. It looks lovely on your DD.
squirrellypoo said... (10/23/08 8:45 AM) Reply
Beautiful work! I'm so inspired that you had another go after the last time...
Jatman said... (10/23/08 8:14 AM) Reply
Wow. This dress is stunning. The smocking and contrast colors add so much. Beautiful work!

Serendipity Studio Sew Serendipity Bag (book