Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 3003 (V-Neck Top)

Reviewed by:Katy M

About Katy Mstar
NA AUSTRALIA
Posted on:9/8/03 5:40 AM
Last Updated:9/8/03 5:42 AM

See other patterns in this category: Coordinates    Tops    Skirts
Katy M said... (9/8/03 7:32 PM) Reply
Thanks so much everyone! I will go out and read up on a full bust adjustment, that sounds like the problem. I really love this top and this pattern so I'll do anything to get it perfect! Mel - the shop is called Rathdowne Remnants, it's the yellow pages. Up the back to the left on a shelf they have monster $3 bags of (big) remnants!
Mel.J said... (9/8/03 7:22 PM) Reply
Hi Katy, Your top looks great as is in the picture, but I'm sure the next version will be tweaked so you're happy with it. I think previous comments might be right in considering a deeper bust dart. PS where's your local fabric store ?? (if it's in Melbourne I might check it out)
AnneM said... (9/8/03 3:43 PM) Reply
Very nice - I like the added black lycra. Full busted people generally have to pick the pattern size based on their high-bust measurement (just above the bust), & then do a full-bust adjustment. I do not have that problem, myself. Anyway, the top looks just fine on you.
Elona said... (9/8/03 1:30 PM) Reply
Katy, when you stand sideways to a mirror, do the "loose, rolly bits" point diagonally from your waist up toward your bustpoint? Could you make them go away by kind of pinning the fullness out along that diagonal line? If that's the case--I hate to say it--they may be indicating the need for a deeper dart, rather than less of one. Most patterns are drafted for a B-cup, and with you being a C-cup but tiny enough to wear an XS, well, it sounds as though you may need what's called a "full bust adjustment." You may want to look at a wonderful book by Palmer and Alto called "Fit For Real People." It would help you understand how to analyze those "rolly bits" (I love that expression).
Sew it seams said... (9/8/03 9:22 AM) Reply
Hi Katy. I really like your design ideas for this top. It's really cute on you. As for the easing, if the pattern is shaped slighly at the side bust and maybe slightly longer than the back piece, then I would straighten the sides and fold out the extra lenghth and that should take care of the easing that you don't like. And for the neck, your photo looks good, but if it feels too loose, can the little dart in the "v" be taken in a little more? Then you could open the dart on the indside and hand stitch it down to reduce the extra bulk. I have a similar pattern and it seems I needed to shorten the length of the neckband when I used a real stretchy knit also. I love your top. Great review!
Tee Jay said... (9/8/03 7:23 AM) Reply
Your top is so cute. I love the extras, it makes it look really neat. The fit looks good in the picture. I remember sewing in college, too, back in those days the dorm actually had a sewing machine for everyones use.
Lou. said... (9/8/03 6:18 AM) Reply
I've been looking at this top again....I found the sizing very much depends on the stretch of your fabric. Love the look of your top, but can't help you out I'm afraid...maybe darts would help??

Understanding Knit Fabrics