Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8548 (MISSES' COAT)

Reviewed by:annie11

About annie11starstarstarstar
IL United States
Member since: 3/3/06
Posted on:11/3/08 9:04 AM
Last Updated:11/3/08 6:35 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 17 people
See other patterns in this category: Outerwear
marjenann said... (11/4/08 4:47 PM) Reply
Wow! What a luscious looking coat. It is really a show stopper. You look fab! Annette
Timmithea said... (11/4/08 9:13 AM) Reply
The coats has a nontraditional look to it. None the less, it looks quite distinct and vogue on you. Put this ensemble with some boots and you will look fabulous. The collar is just something you're not used to. Get over it-you look FABULOUS!
lilyofthevalley said... (11/3/08 9:32 PM) Reply
Well, I've read your review after you've narrowed the sides below the waist. You know, this pretty coat has (to me) a pretty strong 70's vibe which is everywhere on the runways. And in the 70's, the funnel neck *was* stiffened and exaggerated. Come Winter, I think you're going to look smashing and very hip in this Beauty. -Lily
mylittleelephant said... (11/3/08 7:24 PM) Reply
Strangely enough after reading your review, I feel curious about this pattern and would love to try this and I am fairly flat chested......I do think your coat looks great and thank you for very interesting review.
Beek said... (11/3/08 7:21 PM) Reply
Thank yo for the informative and honest review. I am sure that you have saved other sewers from frustration!
michellep74 said... (11/3/08 6:37 PM) Reply
I think it looks great, but I can relate to your feelings about the neck. I bet you'll like it a lot more in a few weeks, even if you don't feel like re-doing the pockets to taper in the "pear shape".
Erica B. said... (11/3/08 6:28 PM) Reply
I think your coat looks nice also. I have this pattern cut out and I'm about to start interfacing.
CynthiaSue said... (11/3/08 4:54 PM) Reply
very helpful review. It looks really cute on you. and I would so have been driven by the adorable line pattern on the envelope as were you.. it looks great and I hope you can wear it!
Heatherrique said... (11/3/08 4:49 PM) Reply
My eyes cannot be deceiving me because the coat looks gorgeous and you look very stylish! I am so sorry that you had challenges you described! Very helpful review! Thanks!
Chicklet said... (11/3/08 4:27 PM) Reply
Oh thank you! I will check it out (and hopefully save myself a bit of a headache!) Thank you for the help!!!
annie11 said... (11/3/08 3:19 PM) Reply
I'm so glad that you guys think it looks fine. I think you are right- it is 70 degrees here and I'm probably just not in winter mode yet. I think that I will go back and taper the side seams to get rid of that pear shape. I just didn't want to do it because that will mean redoing the pockets as well. Chicklet- I think you'll be happier with View C. I wish I had chosen that one! I did what you call "bagging a lining", which a lot of coat and jacket patterns have you do. Here is a link to a tip here on PR that describes it:
Lynnelle said... (11/3/08 3:15 PM) Reply
Sorry it didn't work out for you. I bought this pattern for the style and returned it because I later had concerns about the neck. Despite it not working out for you, thank you for sharing your experience.
Chicklet said... (11/3/08 2:33 PM) Reply
Oh no! I am sewing this coat myself right now, so I am very sorry to hear that you are not happy with it! (I am working on view C though) I am curious though... How did you get around the handstitching? I am about to start on the sleeves, etc. and I too am a bad hand stitcher. Very easy vogue? I think not! Anyway, I think that your coat looks really great!
Annette1 said... (11/3/08 1:23 PM) Reply
VERY NICE coat, and a GREAT review! I actually think you look GREAT in your new coat, but I know exactly what you mean about the "turtle effect." :o)) I've eyed this pattern myself, but having made a couple of turtle coats in the past, I decided to pass on it for the reasons you stated. Yours looks fantastic though!
EleanorSews said... (11/3/08 12:31 PM) Reply
Lots to think about! You point out some important considerations. Your coat really is quite nice. Would it help you any to possibly taper the lower sides seams a bit? It's a shame to do all taht work and not be happy even when the finished product looks as nice as your does.
sewtime said... (11/3/08 9:55 AM) Reply
I also think your coat looks very nice on you. Sorry you don't also think that . Maybe the cold-cold weather will change your mind. Beautiful coat.
Frogstitcher said... (11/3/08 9:43 AM) Reply
I recognized this pattern immediately when I saw your picture in the gallery. Thank you for such a thorough and helpful review. Despite the challenges you encountered, I think your jacket is fabulous! Anyone who has made a coat knows the amount of hours and effort that is required and when you have issues along the way, it takes even longer. I love your coat, nice work!
carolynw said... (11/3/08 9:37 AM) Reply
So sorry to herar you are not happy with this coat - for what it's worth I think it looks very nice on you - at this time of the year as we move into coats it is sometimes hard to see ourselves all snuggled up in heavy clothing - so give it time - I'll bet when the flakes start to fall you will find use for this!!!

by: mesewlot