Online Sewing Class: Altering Jackets

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8536 (MISSES' TOP)

Reviewed by:Amanda S.

About Amanda S.starstarstarstar
TX USA
Member since: 6/27/08
Posted on:11/3/08 9:51 PM
Last Updated:11/3/08 9:57 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 20 people
Dee2 said... (11/22/08 3:52 PM) Reply
Great top, beautifully sewn inside & out. Your illustrations are really helpful--thanks for the review!
Beachbug said... (11/14/08 12:01 PM) Reply
Thank you for the great info and the excellent detailed photos of your techniques. I especially enjoyed seeing the INSIDE of your garment. (No, I didn't become bored.)
Amanda S. said... (11/5/08 1:41 PM) Reply
Nancy2001 - Thanks! I like your ideas. I was thinking the design was flawed, not that it was simply too big in the neck. But now I see where I can correct the problem next time.
nancy2001 said... (11/5/08 1:05 PM) Reply
Amanda, what a great looking top in a beautiful fabric, and thank you for your very helpful review. I recently made this crossover top and posted my review. The way I got around the droopiness problem was to take a TNT tee shirt pattern that fit me perfectly and morph a modified version of the neckline onto it. I also used a shorter band around the neckline than the Vogue pattern specified. One other trick that might eliminate droopiness in the front area for you might be to go down a pattern size or two in the shoulder.
Sharon M said... (11/4/08 6:29 PM) Reply
Lovely version of this pattern.
janet said... (11/4/08 11:32 AM) Reply
You are making an exquisite wardrobe with exceptional craftsmanship. You look divine!
rozzybabe said... (11/4/08 11:23 AM) Reply
As always, a fabulous job!
EleanorSews said... (11/4/08 10:18 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review. What a lovely top! What about using clear elastic like you would to stabilize/prevent gaposis in a crossover wrap top? I'm waiting for JoAnns to have a sale to pick this one up.
Barbara V said... (11/4/08 10:00 AM) Reply
Pretty top and lovely sewing job. I like your French seams and that you chose to finish the bottom with a band. As a substitute for the cover stitch when I'm in a hurry and don't want to change my serger I sometimes use a double needle which gives similar results.
Rosebeee said... (11/4/08 9:53 AM) Reply
I have a wrap front shirt that does that same gapping thing! How are you going to fix your pattern? Maybe I could do the same thing with mine!! :) Your shirt looks fabulous, by the way! :)
kasizzle said... (11/4/08 9:05 AM) Reply
Cute top!
Gelbean said... (11/4/08 1:32 AM) Reply
Great top. Thanks for the info on the droopy front. I just ordered this pattern for that particular view. Great job overcoming your machine limitations by adding the bands.
AngieC said... (11/4/08 0:57 AM) Reply
Your top is absolutely beautiful! I love that fabric! Great review!
sewtime said... (11/4/08 0:02 AM) Reply
Beautiful top!! Love the fabric! Great fit!
Annette1 said... (11/3/08 11:39 PM) Reply
PURE PERFECTION! :o)
Vonnevo said... (11/3/08 10:30 PM) Reply
Beautiful Amanda ! ! I enjoy seeing your great fabric and pattern choices :)
DaisyEsq said... (11/3/08 10:13 PM) Reply
You've made a beautiful blouse. The inside looks just as pretty as the outside.
DorothyK said... (11/3/08 10:09 PM) Reply
Beautiful top. The fabric is perfect for the pattern. It really looks good on you.
Heidi Ho said... (11/3/08 10:01 PM) Reply
I think your top is very nice and I personally like the French seams. I have a serger but back when I learned to sew about 40 years ago I loved doing French seams even though no one saw them but me.
Kaitlinnegan said... (11/3/08 9:56 PM) Reply
Wow, your top looks great! I almost bought this pattern at the last sale, and next time I'll definitely have to! Would stitching the front wrap part down (through the 2 layers) fix the droopiness, or would it just create other problems?

Sewing Workshop Nikko Jacket Pattern