Pattern Reviews> Jalie> 2559 (Women's Jacket)

Reviewed by:Alexruthe

About Alexruthestar
QC CANADA
Member since: 3/5/04
Posted on:11/19/08 6:13 PM
Last Updated:11/20/08 7:50 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 2 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
Pattycakes60 said... (3/28/10 11:41 AM) Reply
I am not very far along in my classes either. Your jacket looks very beautiful in the pictures. Thanks for the suggestion on lining. I DID take Sarah Veblen's All About Linings Class and would like to challenge myself. Think I'll try it. Thanks for the review.
msgadget said... (6/28/09 0:07 AM) Reply
That doesn't look like a beginner effort. You did a great job with the jacket.
Fictionfan said... (6/8/09 9:31 PM) Reply
I just got this pattern. Your problem with the way the lapels are lying is not anything due to your sewing or skill. It is an error in the pattern. The front piece is drafted as the front facing should be, and vice versa. If you make this again, use the front facing as the front and mark the buttons and buttonholes as the original front is, and use the original front for the facing. The front facing is the part that folds over (the rever), so it needs additional fabric for the turn of the cloth, so it will lie over the front via the roll line without trying to curl back. Just as the upper collar needs a little more fabric than the under collar, the front facing needs a little more (about 1/8 inch) more outside the line of the front pattern piece at the lapel just to the collar junction and to the roll line bottom. After the roll line spot, the front facing needs a little less than the front piece so the facing doesn't roll out to the outside. HTH if you make this jacket again. If it weren't for the pattern error, your jacket would be perfect!
okie2thdoc said... (11/20/08 9:18 PM) Reply
I didn't know they made jackets! Thanks for the review.
DorothyK said... (11/20/08 9:09 PM) Reply
This is a very cool jacket. I love the lapels. I never would have considered making something like this before, but now I think I'll buy the pattern. Actually, I think corduroy is a good choice for this pattern.
emailtk said... (11/20/08 6:09 PM) Reply
Nice Job!!! Looks very nice!!!! Thanks I was looking for a pattern like this!!!
CynthiaSue said... (11/20/08 4:31 PM) Reply
this looks really sharp!! Lands end has corduroy blazers just like this. great color!
EleanorSews said... (11/20/08 10:35 AM) Reply
From what I can see, it looks like you've done well. And yes, all of us periodically find we do well to follow some type of instructions depending on the project and how often we we do a technique or whatever. Thanks for the review. I was going to pick up a Vogue jacket pattern this week-end but really wanted a shoulder princess seam and voila! Here it is!
Alexruthe said... (11/19/08 10:23 PM) Reply
Slightly bigger pics can been seen on my blog. http://alex-rambles.blogspot.com/ I'll add some detailed shots there soon. But honestly, I did learn a lot, and am glad the fabric only cost me about $6 because I can't wear this out in public, purely a learning experience, and I must follow instructions better next time.
Sew4Fun said... (11/19/08 9:14 PM) Reply
Congrats on writing the 500th Jalie review! I'd love to see a larger photo of your jacket.
Christas said... (11/19/08 9:11 PM) Reply
Your pic doesn't enlarge ... looks really nice from what I can see. Love the color!
katlew03 said... (11/19/08 7:56 PM) Reply
The picture is too small to see, but it looks fine to me. Just think how much you learned.
Izzie said... (11/19/08 7:14 PM) Reply
Woo Hoo! Looks like you did the 500th Jalie review...congrats!

by: Artemisia ...