Pattern Reviews> Burda> 3197 (Start 3 T-shirt)

Viewed 2059 times
Reviewed by:Lisa Laree

About Lisa Lareestarstarstarstar
AL USA
Posted on:9/26/03 3:18 PM

Sweater knit fabrics

Athene said... (11/6/08 9:32 PM) Reply
Good review and tips. Thank you
Hilary said... (9/30/03 1:06 PM) Reply
I think your tee looks great! I like the binding treatment of the neckline you described~I use this same technique for the baby clothes I'm making,~they actually suggest using a purchased bias tape(i guess they mean woven) to bind the neck and leg openings of a knit garment! ACK! I agree this method is much more RTW and very easy too!great review, i think i'm gonna have to get this one :o)
Rhonda Noah said... (9/30/03 2:55 AM) Reply
Lisa, great review! Very informative. The t-shirt looks like it has a great shape and style. I like that neckline also. Your question about the wrinkle indicating the need for an armscye dart (eased in) is a good one. My knit tops often have this same wrinkle, so perhaps I'll try the dart on my next Jalie 2005 tee, and see what happens. And of course, I'll report back here on what I find out. ;-)
Lisa Laree said... (9/29/03 11:11 PM) Reply
Well, Betty, despite what everyone says about it being 'fitted' rather than 'snug', I'm kinda of the opinion that, if the seams on my under garments show, the garment could stand a little more ease! (LOL) I know, I'm probably more aware of it than anyone else, but that's what made me say it was snug.... ;)
Everyday Sewist said... (9/29/03 10:52 PM) Reply
I have some fitting "issues" with the armscye of this pattern too. It's a bit different from other t-shirts I've made. I think that's just the way it's drafted--your top fits just like the model's in the photo. That's interesting what Marcy Tilton said. (BTW, in my comment about making it less fitted, I didn't mean to imply that you "need" to do that. )
Evatgirl73 said... (9/28/03 0:44 AM) Reply
I also think the tee looks very nice, and not *too* tight, just nicely fitted!
Debbie Spriggs said... (9/27/03 5:59 PM) Reply
Your Tee looks like it fits very nicely. I like the fitted look, it follows the current fashion trends and has a nice youthful appearance.
Lisa Laree said... (9/27/03 9:14 AM) Reply
Thanks for the encouragement, ladies! I have bee kinda mulling over this shirt for the last 24 hours, reading some of the other fitted T shirt reviews, and I have a fitting question... Could I eliminate the wrinkles under the arm by adding a dart and rotating it into the armsceye, then easing it in? I remember Marcy Tilton said that a dart 'wants' to go in the armseye of a tshirt; didn't understand that then but I think I see it now. This shirt is a little more noticeable than others I have (it's also the snuggest...) but even RTW has some wrinkles at that point, so maybe it's an adjustment that I need to make?
Everyday Sewist said... (9/27/03 6:39 AM) Reply
Lisa, it looks very nice--not too tight, just fitted. I've found this particular pattern fits very true to size on me, except that the shoulders (not the upper chest) are a bit broad for me. Since you know your shoulders & armholes fit, you might just want to taper out to a larger size (according to your measurements) for the rest of the pattern, for a less fitted look. I also usually have to add a bit of ease to the waist, but I have to do that on all my patterns. The scoop neck on this pattern is not too low, but once I made it in a fabric that stretched out easily, and it got a little droopy (almost too low). Next time I make it, I'll probably just raise the lowest part of the neckline about .5".
Danvillegirl said... (9/27/03 6:30 AM) Reply
Lisa, this was very helpful information. I like the look of the T!
Skye said... (9/26/03 7:33 PM) Reply
nice fitting T looks very good on you
Sew it seams said... (9/26/03 6:23 PM) Reply
Very nice fitting t-shirt. It looks very good on you.
Gigi Louis said... (9/26/03 3:42 PM) Reply
Lisa, this tee looks great on you!

Sew Chic Phantom Jacket and Pant Pattern (ln1106)

Sew Chic Phantom Jacket and Pant Pattern (ln1106)

PerfectFuse Medium Black