Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4789 (Maggy London Knit Top)

Reviewed by:mars418

About mars418star
TX USA
Member since: 1/2/08
Posted on:2/22/09 9:41 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 2 people
mars418 said... (2/24/09 8:18 AM) Reply
Thanks to all for your comments. Karen I donít mind the blunts commentsóthey echoed my thoughts once I saw the photos and how I really look in the tops! They just did not fit or feel right. I loved the line drawing and gave the pattern two tries so thatís more than a fair shake! Thanks again!
Karen8320 said... (2/23/09 11:27 PM) Reply
I hope my comment about not wearing the tops in public wasn't too blunt. What I meant was that there are probably many more flattering styles for you than this one.
Karen8320 said... (2/23/09 11:24 PM) Reply
Unfortunately, I'm with Patti B on this one. I wouldn't be wearing either of these tops in public. You've given this pattern your best shot and, you are right, life is too short and there are many other patterns out there to try. It's a shame, really, because the technical drawing has some very flattering aspects to it. Your review, though, is very helpful to everyone else.
wildberrymom said... (2/23/09 12:33 PM) Reply
The red top is flattering (in my view) to you if there were some way of straightening out that front seam (pressing, adjusting the twist, etc.) so that it has a nice drape. Since there appears to be plenty of fabric below the empire and twist it might be possible to redo that seam while pulling slightly so that the end result doesn't appear tight. Perhaps even from the middle down on the that front seam. The neckline and sleeve lines are very flattering on the red top.
wildberrymom said... (2/23/09 12:29 PM) Reply
The red top is flattering (in my view) to you if there were some way of straightening out that front seam (pressing, adjusting the twist, etc.) so that it has a nice drape. Since there appears to be plenty of fabric below the empire and twist it might be possible to redo that seam while pulling slightly so that the end result doesn't appear tight. The neckline and sleeve lines are very flattering.
nglalala said... (2/23/09 11:26 AM) Reply
Both of the tops are really nice! Great job and thanks for the review!
Patti B said... (2/23/09 11:13 AM) Reply
I too appreciate your candor and though I'm in the minority here, I agree with your assessment. It doesn't flatter you and life is too short to wear unbecoming clothes. /grin/ It may be that with a different type of FBA, it might look better? It seems a bit big above and below the bust. I'm glad you posted!
LoriU said... (2/23/09 0:28 AM) Reply
I really appreciate your honest review -- what I love about Pattern Review is that we can see the clothes on real people. I do like your red top, too!
merry-one said... (2/22/09 10:09 PM) Reply
The red one looks nice. I'd wear it, looks better than most RTW.

Understanding Interfacings