Pattern Reviews> Christine Jonson> 714 (Cross Your Heart Top and V-Nec)

Reviewed by:Izzie

About Izziestarstar
TN United States
Member since: 6/28/03
Posted on:12/28/08 2:07 AM
Last Updated:1/1/09 3:41 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 18 people

sewbehind said... (8/12/09 12:05 PM) Reply
Izzie, your top looks great.
Izzie said... (1/2/09 11:37 AM) Reply
Thanks again, your critiques are very helpful, next time I will try the alterations that Sew4Fun shared in her review of the pattern.
Miss Fairchild said... (1/2/09 8:45 AM) Reply
The top is beautiful and the color looks great on you. I agree--I think the crossover part is a little too high; it seems to "cut" into the side of your neck as well. I would think lowering the inset panel about 1.5" to 2" would help. Great review and very helpful as I've been looking at CJ patterns for a while.
Sew4Fun said... (1/1/09 8:13 PM) Reply
Izzie, the top looks great on you. It's a nice fitting top isn't it? I sewed my muslin two days ago (after reading your original review) and the gathering hit me in exactly the same place, right between the apex. :/ I've altered my pattern to lower it about an inch. I did this by drawing a box around the gathered extension, down past the dot into the lower "princess" side section, cut and moved the section down filling in with tissue where necessary. This worked really well. It looks nicer a bit lower and the neckline doesn't strangle me as much, like it's doing to you too. :) My top now looks more like the photos in CJ's gallery. I find all CJ's tops to be too short in the front between neck and bust point and I'm 5' 4" tall. HTH
Izzie said... (1/1/09 6:11 PM) Reply
Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your comments. Mermie, I'm thinking that I just need to add length to the bodice at about the bustline...haven't really thought it through yet. I hope you'll do a review of your top so I can see how it works for you.
j222b said... (1/1/09 5:06 PM) Reply
The line drawing looks like the inset fits just below the bust like an empire. The fabric is so busy that this top looks great on you. I would lower the pattern for another fabric. Your girls look fine, I think this is a pattern error. I love the shaped hem.
Barbara3 said... (1/1/09 4:54 PM) Reply
I agree with everyone - you've made a great top! I ordered this pattern recently and am now even more eager to try it. Thanks for the review.
Mermie said... (1/1/09 4:53 PM) Reply
Thanks for the new pictures. I am working with this pattern this afternoon. After seeing it on you I now know that I also need to lower the inset or it will hit me right smack in the middle of my bust. Now, if I could only figure out where to make the adjustment! Your top looks great on you.
Sewing Chick said... (12/29/08 8:44 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review. I have been wanting to purchase this pattern. Your top looks great!
patsijean said... (12/29/08 2:07 AM) Reply
It is not obvious that you had difficulity with the front inset. My girls are not as high as they used to be either, so I followed Stacy and Clinton's advise and got a bra fitting. What a difference.
sj said... (12/28/08 5:49 PM) Reply
Your top looks great! I am just finishing this pattern in a bamboo cotton lycra knit and also had problems with the corners of the front. I think the bamboo makes the knit soft and a little slippery. I'm very pleased with the pattern and will make it again.
sewtime said... (12/28/08 3:32 PM) Reply
Love your top, great material!!
nancy2001 said... (12/28/08 10:22 AM) Reply
Your top looks great. I ordered this new pattern and can't wait to try both styles. Thanks so much for your review.
carolynw said... (12/28/08 9:52 AM) Reply
Nice looking top -thanks so much for the review as I have been thinking of getting this pattern.
shesflipped said... (12/28/08 8:16 AM) Reply
Cute top, and great review. I have been looking at this pattern as both tops are very unique. Your review was timely and helpful.
Sew4Fun said... (12/28/08 4:02 AM) Reply
Nice top! Thanks for your review as I have this pattern and I'm wanting to sew it.

No Pattern Used 0000