Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8545 (MISSES' JACKET AND PANTS)

Reviewed by:Joy Joy

About Joy Joy
Member since: 12/17/08
Posted on:12/30/08 7:13 PM
Last Updated:12/30/08 9:40 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 13 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket    Pants
moduff67 said... (11/29/10 2:54 PM) Reply
I literally have this pattern on my coffee table, ready to cut out tonight in a red/black/grey wool houndstooth check coat fabric I bought from I am SO glad I read your remarks as I am 5'7" and may need to watch that overall length AND the 'lite' instructions. What about buttonholes: does the front edge have enough support? Should I make my own facing and interface it? Lining is out, since it needs to drape. Thanks much to Joy Joy! -Maureen
AMarie said... (3/30/10 8:34 PM) Reply
I'm so glad you made the version with the attached collar/scarf. That was what attracted me to this pattern since I was looking for a coat with a hood of some sort. That is disappointing and surprising that Vogue didn't provide clearer instructions. If I decide to make this coat, I will take your advice and make a gusset to go under the arm section. Your coat turned out beautiful despite all the obstacles you had to overcome. Thanks for sharing your experience.
katie lynne said... (1/5/09 3:10 PM) Reply
Ooooh, I want your coat! You've created a splendid coat. Your craftsmanship is impeccable. I LOVE the fabric. I long for a hood/caped collar like this. And I agree with Izzie, your coat is far more stylish and appealing than the envelope's illustration. Thank you for such a marvelous review!
Nancy K said... (12/31/08 12:11 PM) Reply
They really have gotten lazy with their instructions lately. But, you seem to have triumphed and have a great, cozy and warm coat, just as you wanted. Lovely
Kay Y said... (12/31/08 9:07 AM) Reply
Your coat is beautiful - good save on the proportions and details! I'm curious to know what sort of stitch you used for the topstitching - is it a blanket stitch? Any chance of more photos??
bebrown said... (12/31/08 8:57 AM) Reply
Beautiful coat! I've been looking at this pattern particularly the view with the great looking collar but I'm also short -- guess I'll keeping looking. I hate having to reinvent the wheel when I sew.
BillieJean said... (12/31/08 5:37 AM) Reply
Beautiful coat!
sewtime said... (12/30/08 11:57 PM) Reply
Love your coat!
Athene said... (12/30/08 10:56 PM) Reply
Your coat is lovely. I have been very curious about this pattern - and your version is wonderful thanks to all the extra work you did - Vogue instructions and drafting can be a bit disappointing at times.
Nancywin said... (12/30/08 10:43 PM) Reply
I agree that Vogue does not always give you enough bang for your buck. Your coat turned out beautifully and I'm sure it is very warm (and heavy!) You will get a lot of use out of this one.
Christas said... (12/30/08 9:53 PM) Reply
Your coat looks wonderful! Your efforts have produced excellent results.
Izzie said... (12/30/08 9:37 PM) Reply
Before I read your review, I looked at your picture and thought, wow, her coat looks way better than the envelope picture...hmmmm no wonder! You had to re do the whole thing! Glad you kept at it, the coat is awesome.
regine said... (12/30/08 8:40 PM) Reply
Your cost is stunning and I am very impressed with all the changes you made, it was worth it!!
QuiltersFan said... (12/30/08 8:26 PM) Reply
Just fantastic.
Winifred said... (12/30/08 7:47 PM) Reply
Beautiful coat - thanks for such a good review. I do wish the pattern writers would consider those who are at the beginning end of their sewing careers more, and have better and clearer instructions. We cant all afford classes and probably a good number dont know about PR (where you learn a lot !!) We need to spread the word.
Flying Seamstress said... (12/30/08 7:25 PM) Reply
Well worth all your efforts, the coat is awesome! Thank you for a very thoughtful review.

by: desensitis...