Pattern Reviews> Christine Jonson> 714 (Cross Your Heart or V-Neck Tee)

Reviewed by:Sew4Fun

About Sew4Funstarstarstarstar
AUSTRALIA
Member since: 6/23/04
Posted on:7/4/09 3:52 AM
Last Updated:1/4/10 1:33 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 37 people

Lou05 said... (5/12/10 2:01 AM) Reply
Thanks for the terrific job you've done -- with your top and with details of all the changes you had to make. I love your finished product. Now I might be brave enough to try this one since I know I'll have many similar issues. Thank you so much.
LucyGoose said... (2/20/10 11:51 AM) Reply
Thanks so much for the alteration advice - I'd really like to make this top and I think it will come in handy!
A of EC said... (2/15/10 1:43 PM) Reply
Thank you for such a detailed review! Fabulous sewing, I appriciate your persistence and results and thank you for sharing all the details of how you got there. My DD and I are both DDD cups on small rib cages and I am hoping to do some stylish knit tops for her very trim figure in the next few weeks. Thanks again!
heatherst said... (2/9/10 10:17 PM) Reply
Thanks for your very detailed review. I want to make this top and your review will be very helpful to me.
Robin Denning said... (2/9/10 6:54 PM) Reply
Hi Belinda, your top is wonderfully flattering. I am so glad you wrote such a detailed review. I would like to try this top and it's good to be prepared. A big success!
Andi said... (1/4/10 8:50 PM) Reply
Your finished top looks great. I was surprised you had such difficulty with this top, as it fit me right out of the envelope. I guess we all have different shapes! Thanks for putting together such a detailed review! HAve you tried the other top in this pattern?
carolhope said... (1/4/10 6:43 PM) Reply
This review is what Pattern Review is all about! Thank you so much.
Nata said... (1/4/10 4:34 PM) Reply
Love how you used the circles without getting that dreaded target look. Great job.
j222b said... (1/4/10 3:11 PM) Reply
Perfect top. Perfect review!
sewbehind said... (1/4/10 11:14 AM) Reply
A very helpful review, Belinda. Your finished product looks lovely on you. However, all that work to make it work!
Patti B said... (1/4/10 11:01 AM) Reply
Well, the end result was worth it! I am amazed that it took so much fiddling but will save your review for my attempt. Not like the normal CJ pattern IMHO.
Barbara3 said... (1/4/10 10:53 AM) Reply
Sorry, I inadvertently refreshed my computer before going off this page and my comment reposted.
carolynw said... (1/4/10 9:40 AM) Reply
Am so glad it all worked out for you and you deserve a star for sticking with it for so long - I think I would have tossed it. However, your end result is beautiful and I guess this pattern can now be one of your TNTs. Thanks for such athorough review
mhk3boys said... (1/4/10 8:30 AM) Reply
I love your top! Thanks for the awesome alteration photos and descriptions!
Lori V said... (1/4/10 7:33 AM) Reply
Your top looks great and all your hard work paid off. Thanks for all the information on this pattern.
DaisyEsq said... (1/4/10 6:54 AM) Reply
Your top looks perfect. Thank you for your great review.
Barbara3 said... (1/4/10 2:13 AM) Reply
I'm impressed with your persistence. It certainly paid off. Beautiful top that looks like a perfect fit.
Athene said... (1/4/10 1:44 AM) Reply
You look great in your top. A beautiful fit. But wow, you had to do a lot of work to get there. Thank you for such a thorough review.
cindyann said... (10/28/09 8:09 AM) Reply
This is just a fantastic review!
taylormade said... (8/7/09 5:56 PM) Reply
Great pictures and comments
KBT Sewer said... (8/3/09 2:59 PM) Reply
Really good review.I've just bought this pattern and have the same fitting problems.Looking forward to seeing your finished top
Lynnelle said... (7/4/09 8:52 AM) Reply
Thank you for writing such a detailed review. I only have one CJ pattern and had OK success with it. Your review has inspired me to take a second look. I can't wait to see your top.
sewnsewtoo said... (6/14/09 6:31 PM) Reply
Thank you for such a great review. I've made a couple of cj patterns that have been too tight. Thanks for the idea re % of stretch. I'm going to try it next time.
Deepika said... (1/24/09 11:00 AM) Reply
What a great review! I can't wait to see your finished top. The pattern looks promising.
sewing for fun said... (1/4/09 6:25 PM) Reply
I had the very same problems with this pattern - bust gathers hit way too high, shoulder gathers flattened out even though I stabilized the back shoulder, back neck too high and neckline strangled me (unlike anything I've experienced with other CJ Patterns!) I do not normally need to lower the bust line. I used a stretch velvet and had a terrible time getting the corners to work, even with stabilizer. I will try again with your suggestions & an easier knit - since stretch panne velvet tends to shift badly. I am looking forward to your updates and how the FBA worked out. I did my FBA a little differently. I love CJ patterns and do not normally have any difficulty after doing an FBA.
tlmck3 said... (1/3/09 4:09 PM) Reply
Thanks for the pictures of how you did the FBA and lowering the gathers. I would have been stumped by the FBA on that front. Very helpful info for such a new pattern.
Danvillegirl said... (1/2/09 10:20 PM) Reply
Looking forward to seeing your finished garment. I just learned of this pattern and your review is very timely.
nancy2001 said... (1/2/09 7:15 PM) Reply
I just received this pattern this afternoon and am planning to start the other version (the v-neck) tomorrow. Thank you for your very helpful review.
Annette1 said... (1/2/09 6:14 PM) Reply
What a GREAT review. I JUST bought this pattern and am anxiously awaiting its arrival so I can promptly throw it in the pile and forget I have it. When I later happen upon it, I'll be looking up your review! I'm not very hopeful on the gathered style for me, though. If the bust gathers are high on YOU, then they'll probably be strangling me. I like BOTH views, though, so by hook or by crook, I'll come up with something! Can't wait to see your finished product! :o)
Nancy K said... (1/2/09 11:27 AM) Reply
Thanks for this review. I have found her patterns to be just too snug in the past, but this is a great pattern and I may just go for it with your great advice.
Kay Y said... (1/2/09 9:46 AM) Reply
Really interesting pattern - I can't wait to see your completed top.
Joy Joy said... (1/2/09 9:26 AM) Reply
Thank you for this review. I have the same body type and I am just beginning in learning how to do a FBA. I have made outerwear mostly and adjustments are not of the same nature. I am an advance sewer, but with Gortex ect. A FBA is brand new for me. I have bookmarked your review as a reference.
Miss Fairchild said... (1/2/09 8:37 AM) Reply
Thank you for the sizing worksheet. It's very helpful. Also, your opinion on this pattern is timely as I've been looking at the CJ line from time to time and wondered about them. Waiting to see the finished review and photos.
JamieLiz said... (1/2/09 8:32 AM) Reply
Thanks for the "pre" review and introduction (for me at least) to Christine Jonson patterns. Very intriguing!
Grammy Gin said... (1/2/09 8:15 AM) Reply
I just know your finished top will be great. Looking forward to seing it.
Luckylibbet said... (1/2/09 7:59 AM) Reply
Thanks for the sizing worksheet AND your valuable opinion on how to use it effectively! I'll be using that in future. Also thanks for your comments on fitting this top - I'm really looking forward to the final garment on you! Cheers and happy sewing!
QuiltSewSewSue said... (1/1/09 11:20 PM) Reply
Thanks for the great review - I look forward to seeing the finished top!
Mermie said... (1/1/09 10:51 PM) Reply
Thank you Belinda. Great review.
Izzie said... (1/1/09 10:34 PM) Reply
Great review and EXTREMELY helpful...THANKS! Can't wait to see your finished top.