Online Sewing Class: Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Pattern Reviews> Loes Hinse Designs> 5108 (Piazza Jacket)

Reviewed by:jlg

About jlgstarstarstarstar
Member since: 3/5/03
Posted on:10/7/03 3:00 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 6 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
Deepika said... (10/9/03 6:35 AM) Reply
This is a great review. I will refer to it when I do decide to make this pattern (I've been thinking about it). Love your jacket!
Janet D said... (10/8/03 11:41 PM) Reply
Awesome.
Marita Kinnula said... (10/8/03 2:25 PM) Reply
JLG, this pattern compliments you, the fabric choice was wonderful. I love that garden(green with envy for not having one).
Neefer said... (10/8/03 1:56 PM) Reply
Just beautiful!
sewnew said... (10/8/03 10:04 AM) Reply
the fabric and your jacket look great.
Diane E said... (10/7/03 11:13 PM) Reply
This is a beautiful jacket. The fabric is wonderful! I agree that the jacket is close-fitting. In my initial test of this jacket I tried to get away with the XS and just couldn't. My "real" one will be bigger, even thought my bust measurement is 34" and as you said, the XS indicates 35".
jlg said... (10/7/03 10:32 PM) Reply
Tee Jay, I'm not sure. I think it would work with fabrics that are drapey or not. My fabric had very little drape. Thanks everyone for the encouraging comments.
Tee Jay said... (10/7/03 8:35 PM) Reply
So, so cute! I am glad I just bought this pattern. I love the two fabrics. How drapey or not drapey do you think this pattern calls for? I am thinking less drapey would be better.
Irene said... (10/7/03 7:01 PM) Reply
This is a gorgeous jacket and very helpful review. Your fabric selection makes this a nice jacket to wear over a simple dress, as well as with casual pants.
Georgene said... (10/7/03 6:59 PM) Reply
This looks great on you without shoulder pads, it must be the nice heavy structured fabric.
Pam Z said... (10/7/03 6:39 PM) Reply
You look wonderful in your new jacket. Great lines & beautiful fabric. Thanks for the new fabric source.
Skymom said... (10/7/03 6:25 PM) Reply
Wow! Between you and the Piazza, and Gigi's Portofino, I think I'm going to have to place a LHinse order soon. THis looks even better than the jacket envelope. What an excellent fabric choice.
Elona said... (10/7/03 6:21 PM) Reply
Gosh, it's nice to see this one made up! It looks just great on you. Nice job.
Tonia Van Dyk said... (10/7/03 6:16 PM) Reply
Wow, I love the fabric in this style, it looks beautiful. I have this pattern, but for some reason, I haven't made it up yet. I'll be tracing it out first chance I get!
Debbie Spriggs said... (10/7/03 6:09 PM) Reply
This jacket looks just wonderful on you. The fabric and scale of the jacket both suit you very well. Another beautiful project! You and Gigi are both going to cost me $. Now I want a Piazza jacket AND a Portofino dress :)
Gigi Louis said... (10/7/03 5:45 PM) Reply
The Portofino will look fab on you! Think I'll ask DMIL about those elephant ears (she is my gardener).
jlg said... (10/7/03 5:25 PM) Reply
That's supposed to be (7) shoulder pads.
jlg said... (10/7/03 5:23 PM) Reply
Georgene, no interlining and no shoulder pads (although the pattern has shoulder pads, I just hate the things on me in casual jackets.) The pattern pieces are (1) upper collar, (2) under collar, (3) side front, (4) back, (5) sleeve, (6) neck facing and (7) shoulder facing. Gigi, it's only fair; you made me buy the Portofino today. The elephant ears are Black Magic, I think. We have to replace them every year here in Memphis (at least where we have them; I have seen elephant ears overwinter when they are up against a house.)
Gigi Louis said... (10/7/03 5:04 PM) Reply
A little off-topic (just a little!): what variety of elephant ears are those behind you? They look almost black - just beautiful!
Gigi Louis said... (10/7/03 5:03 PM) Reply
Your jacket is spectacular - I LOVE the fabric you chose! You know, this is the only LH jacket pattern that I do not own - guess that will be changing soon....
KristenI said... (10/7/03 4:42 PM) Reply
Looks so nice! I love the fabric too. Looks like you will get a lot of wear out of it. I'll have to check out Waechter’s Silk Shop!
Georgene said... (10/7/03 3:51 PM) Reply
Wow that sure does look great! I love the way you used both sides of the fabric. What did you use to interline the facing? (Or did you?) P.S. Did you use shoulder pads, as most people do with LH jackets?
SouthernStitch said... (10/7/03 3:45 PM) Reply
Really nice jacket! Love that fabric. So glad you had a good result.
AnneM said... (10/7/03 3:08 PM) Reply
Great review; good information. Look forward to seeing a picture.

by: dinagideon