Pattern Reviews> Textile Studio> 1405 (Basic Dress)

Reviewed by:Mini

About Ministarstarstarstar
WI USA
Member since: 3/21/02
Posted on:3/30/02 0:03 AM
Last Updated:6/17/03 4:07 PM
CatherineN said... (6/17/03 7:01 PM) Reply
Your reviews teach me so much about pattern adjustment.
Everyday Sewist said... (12/9/02 11:02 AM) Reply
Mini, thanks for your thorough review. Lots of good suggestions for fitting dresses in general. I was also wondering if this style would work for me since I have "stomach curvature." Your review answers that question.
said... (5/29/02 11:48 PM) Reply
Stephaney, you might look at Burda for linen dresses. I also like some of the current Kwik Sew dresses. I mentioned 3053, which I reviewed, but they have others too that are suitable for linen.KS 2716,2786,and 2982 are a few that have simple lines and should be as easy to sew as the Basic Dress. I haven't tried those 3 yet, but they are recommended for linen. To be honest, I am finding as as I work more with Kwik Sew I am liking them even better than Textile Studio. They just seem to fit me better. Their online catalog is www.kwiksew.com.
said... (5/27/02 3:09 AM) Reply
I'm so glad I read your review. I was thinking about making this pattern out of 100% linen but I think I'll pass after reading your review. I'm looking for something to mimic my Eileen Fisher dresses. Some are straignt falling and some a line. Any suggestions? By the way, I just want to say that I always enjoy reading your reviews. They're so thorough. Just what I need!
said... (4/30/02 3:33 PM) Reply
I made this in a lightweight knit and was disappointed to find I had just made a sleep shirt!
said... (3/30/02 4:17 PM) Reply
What a terrific, helpful review!
said... (3/30/02 12:34 PM) Reply
Deepika, I haven't made this in a knit, so I don't really know. I like to use patterns specifically designed for knits. But from the other people's comments it sounds like it works with the right fabric choice.
said... (3/30/02 11:33 AM) Reply
Mini, super review! I found this pattern only has enough walking ease in a knit such as matte jersey. In a woven, I add side slits.
said... (3/30/02 3:26 AM) Reply
Mini, thanks so much for the review. It sounds like this pattern would be perfect for DD#1. She's shaped the same as the pattern, i.e., broad shoulders and narrow hips! Thanks so much.
said... (3/30/02 0:21 AM) Reply
the knits I've used have been forgiving, is what I was trying to say! Thanks again for your great review!
said... (3/30/02 0:20 AM) Reply
Mini, your review serves as a model! It is thorough and precise and extremely helpful. I have sewn this pattern, and it has been fine, but with your suggestions it will be so much better the next time I make it! I think the knit fabrics I've used have bee
said... (3/30/02 0:13 AM) Reply
Mini, I cannot thank you enough for reviewing this pattern. I want to make this dress but since it seems very straight forward to sew, I just wanted to see if it fits well at all or not. How do you feel about sewing it in a knit?

Understanding Knit Fabrics