Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2590 (Claude Montana Coat)

Reviewed by:Nikki

About Nikkistarstarstarstar
Member since: 4/8/02
Posted on:10/9/03 5:36 PM
Last Updated:10/9/03 5:36 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
Medeiros said... (7/6/05 3:09 PM) Reply
Nikki, you're a talented seamstress and have great style. Love the coat. But you should try smiling for the photo! :)
xela said... (6/4/04 9:18 AM) Reply
Although I will never make this coat it is very interesting to read. Nikki is certainly thorough and it is much appreciated. Thank you
adele said... (2/11/04 7:41 PM) Reply
Saw the photo and review of this coat a couple of weeks ago and just purchased a pattern of same today. Thanks for the tips!
Everyday Sewist said... (11/1/03 11:26 AM) Reply
Nikki, I just noticed this review. The coat is stunning! I love the Montana patterns. Your review is very helpful and inspiring too.
Rennie Ashby said... (10/20/03 11:27 AM) Reply
Looks complicated. Glad it turned out so well for you. You did a great job!
Katharine in BXL said... (10/13/03 4:02 PM) Reply
Nikki, did you see Simplicity's 5386? It's costumes for Matrix characters with The Coats.
Jill Giard said... (10/13/03 11:11 AM) Reply
Oops - please disregard earlier query re: London shrinking! Must read ALL comments...
Jill Giard said... (10/13/03 10:54 AM) Reply
Very Matrix! Thanks for the review - I've been eyeing the pattern. Can you enlighten me - London shrink? Do you mean you steamed it? Great review - great coat!
Lisette said... (10/11/03 3:27 PM) Reply
Just beautiful!!
Dale C said... (10/10/03 10:24 PM) Reply
Oh my! What a wonderful job you've done on that coat! I love it!
Katharine in BXL said... (10/10/03 5:41 PM) Reply
Wow Nikki! What a breathtaking coat. You did so much work on it. I too have never attempted anything so complex. For Skymom, the pattern recommends ltwt wool coating, felt and twill. Stunning coat Nikki!
Nikki said... (10/10/03 11:21 AM) Reply
Skymom, I'm not sure how well the coat would work in a heavy coating fabric, my wool twill was pretty lightweight. Maybe someone who has more experience with coating fabrics will speak up.
SouthernStitch said... (10/10/03 9:17 AM) Reply
I'm so impressed. This looks great on you, I'm inspired!
Skymom said... (10/10/03 9:06 AM) Reply
Nikki, you look incredible in that coat--not too happy in the pictures, but very glamourous nonetheless. I love this pattern, and you did such a beautiful job on it. Reshaping the collar was a brilliant idea. Do you think this pattern could be used to make a really warm winter coat? With heavier coating fabric, and maybe a bit of interlining (flannel, perhaps)? I really really need a very warm winter coat, and want something long that will cover most of my clothes. I passed this over because it's a litte more fitted than seemed sensible for a heavy coat.
Gigi Louis said... (10/10/03 9:04 AM) Reply
Nikki, you should be so proud, your coat is absolutely stunning!
Nikki said... (10/10/03 8:48 AM) Reply
Marita, this coat is just a fall/spring coat, not heavy enough to wear when it is very cold. Åsa, london shrinking is a way to preshrink wool without washing it - there have been some discussion on the message board describing how to do this, try this link
monahan said... (10/10/03 7:10 AM) Reply
Great coat!
PattiA said... (10/10/03 5:16 AM) Reply
Nikki, this is beautiful. But I think you should upgrade your stated skill level to 'Advanced.' Gorgeous, lively color will be fun to wear when the skies are gray.
Marita Kinnula said... (10/10/03 4:18 AM) Reply
Nikki, wonderful!!! it came out so nice, great color and a very good review, now you have a great coat for fall, did you think about putting interlining to it for extra warmth or do you think this will be enough? You do have quite cold winters there if I remember right. Gongrats!!!!
Asa Hagstrom said... (10/10/03 2:43 AM) Reply
What a fabulous coat you have made, Nikki! I am very happy to see this pattern reviewed, as I bought it a year ago but needed some inspiration to get me started (now I have plenty!)... What is "London shrinking"?
Irene said... (10/9/03 11:11 PM) Reply
Beautiful coat, Nikki! You'll be warm and visible on snowy nights near the Charles. Thanks for the thorough review.
Nikki said... (10/9/03 10:21 PM) Reply
Thanks, everyone! I had actually originally wanted a darker red, but could only find the bright reds in the right weight. Georgene, I just picked up a lovely piece of faux fur the other week and have a hat/scarf/muff ensemble cut out :)
Jennie Pakula said... (10/9/03 10:02 PM) Reply
Fantastic coat, Nikki, and so striking in red - just what you need on a dreary winter's day. You might be interested to know that the same pattern is reviewed in Australian Stitches, a few issues ago, also in a bright red twill. One of the editors made it for her daughter who is living in London.
Georgene said... (10/9/03 10:01 PM) Reply
It came out very beautiful Nikki, how wonderful! I have never attempted anything this complex, with all the pretreating, haircanvas, lining. This is a major piece. Can't wait to see the hat I know you are going to make and wear with this.
Evatgirl73 said... (10/9/03 9:35 PM) Reply
WOW! That is a beautiful coat, wonderful job!! Very helpful review as well. Again, the coat is outstanding, you should be very proud of yourself!!
Joos said... (10/9/03 9:10 PM) Reply
Given the effort, the red coat really looks stunning on you! Thanks for the review.
GorgeousFabrics said... (10/9/03 8:30 PM) Reply
Nikki, that coat is gorgeous. Great review, and I loved the interview! -Ann
Deepika said... (10/9/03 7:24 PM) Reply
Wow Nikki what a nice coat! And the red really suits you. Thanks for such a helpful review.
jlg said... (10/9/03 6:58 PM) Reply
Nikki, I am so impressed. Your coat is very cool. I love the red fabric.
Nikki said... (10/9/03 6:33 PM) Reply
Kris O, I've found hair canvas in the interfacings at a number of stores; I'd guess that places that carry suiting type fabrics would be more likely to carry it than Joann. I got lucky, and a store nearby got in a bolt of 72" wide hair canvas for a good price, so I bought a whole lot.
Kris O said... (10/9/03 6:25 PM) Reply
I'm so happy to read your review! I've read many of your question/comments about this coat on these boards as I've been lurking about and it's great to see your finished project. It's wonderful! Where did you get hair canvas? I've never seen it.
Elona said... (10/9/03 6:15 PM) Reply
Very handsome, Nikki! I haven't seen the Matrix films, but from the photos, I'd say the garments appear to be variants of a traditional priest's cassock, like this one Yours has the severe look, but with the punch of red. Very nice.
CarolynGM said... (10/9/03 6:00 PM) Reply
Excellent review and beautiful coat. I have long admired this pattern, so I'm glad to finally see it made up on someone who wears that style so well. And thanks for the warning about narrow-shouldered people.
Tina C said... (10/9/03 5:53 PM) Reply
Nikki, Great review with helpful comments on techniques you used. The coat is beautiful!
Lisa Laree said... (10/9/03 5:44 PM) Reply
Ooo, Nikki! Very cool coat! Great detail on the review, too!