Online Sewing Class: The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 12-2008-126 (Misses' Tuxedo Shirt)

Reviewed by:Heatherrique

About Heatherriquestarstarstarstar
Member since: 6/27/06
Posted on:1/12/09 8:35 AM

Sweater knit fabrics

Robin Denning said... (3/1/09 3:18 PM) Reply
I like the addition of black buttons- it jazzes it up. Nice!!
Karen8320 said... (1/24/09 4:52 AM) Reply
Burda keeps pounding a rhythm to my brain, la-di-da-di-di, la-di-da-di-da ... and the pleat goes on ... Louella, this is a lovely departure from your usual colorful fabrics, and what a stunner! You've done a great job with this shirt and it looks fabulous on you! A really, really smart look. The Academy Awards are coming up and if Bolt were to invite you and Heather to be his guests, I'm sure George Clooney or Brad Pitt couldn't help but notice you!
pterion said... (1/14/09 4:12 PM) Reply
Such a sharp looking blouse! You look like you are ready to go out on the town.
Jali said... (1/14/09 9:08 AM) Reply
I love your shirt and your enjoyable and informative review. The pattern photo says nothing much really. Yours however, makes me want to sew something like this.
ChristineX said... (1/13/09 5:26 PM) Reply
That's a great shirt!!
Sheila457 said... (1/13/09 1:52 PM) Reply
Such a lovely blouse. I haven't graduated to BWOF yet, but hopefully will try one this year.
CatMukai said... (1/13/09 12:44 PM) Reply
Great review! I love your idea of using pattern instructions as envelopes for BWOFs...I'll have to start doing that! Thanks!
Squeezylemon said... (1/13/09 9:10 AM) Reply
I always love all your projects! And a laugh reading your review into the bargain! Beautiful blouse on you Louella, you always make me want to rush home from work and get busy at my machine!
BillieJean said... (1/13/09 6:22 AM) Reply
It seems that white shirts are "the thing" right now and yours is gorgeous. Great work.
Nancywin said... (1/13/09 1:01 AM) Reply
OK, now I have that song (Band on the run) stuck in my head! The blouse looks fantastic, and I really like the combination of the ruffle and black buttons.
kerrynw said... (1/13/09 0:46 AM) Reply
Beautiful blouse! Interesting and fun review.
Annette1 said... (1/12/09 11:35 PM) Reply
Well, as usual, another FUN and INFORMATIVE review. Aside from that, though, your blouse has turned out BEAUTIFULLY. Move over, Eva, Louella is in the house! You've done such a nice job on this versatile top, and even in a fabric that wasn't particularly cooperative. I love it!
ITAdmin said... (1/12/09 6:35 PM) Reply
Love this; good job.
nellc said... (1/12/09 5:46 PM) Reply
Lovely shirt, the pleated ruffle is a really nice detail.
Gelbean said... (1/12/09 5:21 PM) Reply
Great blouse. I love the pleated front. Thanks for the very informative review. You look fabulous!
lilyofthevalley said... (1/12/09 4:48 PM) Reply
Louella, your blouse is just beautiful and so skillfully made! Thanks for the pleat reference, as well as Busy Mom's method for applying blouse front plackets and cuffs. Love your tune references and see that you've incited Seamingly Simple to join the music madness. Always such a pleasure to read your wonderful reviews. Lovely, Lily
Heidi Ho said... (1/12/09 3:50 PM) Reply
Very nice, and a great review with lots of information. That shirt looks great on you. I'm thinking of making it myself from some white cotton jacquard I got.
Ody said... (1/12/09 3:44 PM) Reply
Wonderful review and I love the blouse. Very interesting details about your sewing techniques. Sorry I missed the review on the purple blouse because that is a wow as well and I will go back and pick that one up. I love the story about the dog---aren't little girls the most fun!!!
Vonnevo said... (1/12/09 2:52 PM) Reply
Beautiful blouse ! Thanks for a humorous and helpful review :)
Christas said... (1/12/09 2:27 PM) Reply
I LOVE your reviews! You have a wonderful sense of humor and STYLE! This blouse is so lovely.... great job!
michellep74 said... (1/12/09 1:07 PM) Reply
I love all of the funky, groovy fabrics that you usually use, but this blouse proves that you look smashing in a feminine white blouse, too!
Twinset said... (1/12/09 1:04 PM) Reply
This is a GWS (great white shirt)! Thanks for the review!
sewtime said... (1/12/09 11:57 AM) Reply
Your top is so pretty. It looks beautiful on you. Nice review.
Seamingly Simple said... (1/12/09 10:34 AM) Reply
What a wonderful, stylish blouse! I love how the pleated front band adds texture and interest to an otherwise plain white shirt. That fabric is tricky; having mastered it you are for sure a Material Girl.
merteuil said... (1/12/09 10:27 AM) Reply
Great shirt. I was planning on making this, I'll have to keep your suggestion for marking the pleats in mind. Thanks for the review!
Sallygirl said... (1/12/09 10:18 AM) Reply
Excellent review! Everything Burda I see made "in real life" I like SO much more than how it is featured in the magazine. I would pass up so many things were it not for seeing things like your blouse here done in a very wearable, doable way. Thank you!
mastdenman said... (1/12/09 10:01 AM) Reply
Cute blouse.
Kim12469 said... (1/12/09 9:48 AM) Reply
I love it! It looks wonderful on you. I'd never have thought to make this but may just have to give it a try.
mylittleelephant said... (1/12/09 9:42 AM) Reply
I would love to try this pattern one day and your review will be very very helpful, it's also nice to know that it can be a nice basic shirt without the pleats, thank you! Lovely job!
Em's Summer said... (1/12/09 9:38 AM) Reply
Another beautiful blouse! And a great fun review, too!
Frogstitcher said... (1/12/09 9:20 AM) Reply
Love it, Louella! I was just looking at this last night thinking I could use a tuxedo shirt. Your notes are fabulous and worth referring to. I'm glad my blouse review was helpful for you; now you'll never go back to hand sewing those frontbands and cuffs again. -Lisa
Re Becca said... (1/12/09 9:16 AM) Reply
This is really cute on you. Much cuter than Eva's! Thanks for the explanation on the pleats, I always manage to get my eyes crossed on those.
Judy Wentz said... (1/12/09 8:47 AM) Reply
Lovely job. Thanks for the review!

by: piffle