Online Sewing Class: Understanding Knit Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Textile Studio> 1405 (Basic Dress)

Viewed 2088 times
Reviewed by:Karla Kizer

About Karla Kizerstarstarstar
Member since: 4/8/02
Posted on:3/31/02 11:52 AM
Last Updated:7/3/02 1:17 AM
said... (7/4/02 0:22 AM) Reply
Thank you, everyone. I am proud of the dress, the daughter and getting that blasted picture posted...not necessarily in that order.
said... (7/3/02 8:16 PM) Reply
Karla - I'm impressed with the daughter, the dress, and the fact you could get a picture posted!! Looks great!
said... (7/3/02 1:05 PM) Reply
Karla, you talk about your daughter with such affection, it's really fun to read. She looks fabulous in the dress. The picture also reminds me how the same pattern can be used to make really different looking garments. I never would have guessed that dress was a TS Basic Dress.
said... (7/3/02 10:31 AM) Reply
Very cute-your daughter and her dress I mean. I think this dress looks better short. (Too bad my short skirt days are all "behind" me.)
said... (7/3/02 9:38 AM) Reply
Looking at your daughter's photo, I am tempted to shorten my pattern as well. Lets see how that goes.
said... (7/3/02 9:28 AM) Reply
It looks great! No one would suspect you whipped this up in the wee hours. :-)
said... (7/3/02 3:05 AM) Reply
ps. I meant her her armpits of course sorry, I just woke up.
said... (7/3/02 3:03 AM) Reply
Thank you Karla for this funny review, hope your daughters circulation and armoits are ok by now, the dress looks lovely on her.
said... (3/31/02 5:20 PM) Reply
Thanks Karla, that helps.
said... (3/31/02 12:45 PM) Reply
Laura Ann - This pattern is so simple that 2 years of sewing experience is plenty. You would have had it finished, too. Deepika, I just placed another dress pattern (one with back darts) over the Basic Dress pattern and copied the dart size and location. The only tricky part is determining the approximate waist level on the Basic Dress pattern; it isn't marked on the pattern and I should have mentioned in my review that I find that omission very annoying. Just study the pattern, especially the curve in the side seam, to approximate the waistline location, then draw in the dart so the widest part is at or just above your waist level.
said... (3/31/02 12:23 PM) Reply
Karla! I fell off my chair laughing :-) thanks for a wonderful review. I have never added darts on my own. How do you determine where to add them and how much?
said... (3/31/02 12:08 PM) Reply
Karla, what a funny story with a happy ending! Your life sounds alot like mine. I have three girls 19, 13 and 7. I wish I could fly by the seat of my pants as well as you. Alas, I have only been sewing about two years and would probably have been in deep......instread of be finished.

Marfy 2264