Mood Fabrics
Mood Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 01-2009-110 (mock wrap top w/ front gathers)

Reviewed by:Heatherrique

About Heatherriquestarstarstarstar
Member since: 6/27/06
Posted on:1/21/09 8:28 AM
Last Updated:1/31/09 12:16 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 22 people
UteK said... (3/11/09 3:54 AM) Reply
Your shirts looks great. Thank you for sharing your modifications which were very helpful for me. With this aid from your review IŽll hurry to get my new shirt.
gatorgirl4325 said... (2/2/09 12:31 PM) Reply
Do you manage to keep a straight face when the students come up with the awesome thoughts they so freely share?? :) Another great top! Your daughter is so adorable too!
Mufffet said... (2/1/09 4:38 PM) Reply
Another great top. LOVE the black and white fabric! Terrific fit!
Heidi Ho said... (1/31/09 11:39 PM) Reply
Thanks. That was the way it looked when I compared your photo with the one in the magazine but I wasn't quite sure. I love both of your tops, they look great.. I'm inspired...that is what I should be working on instead of wool pants since this winter has been hotter than summer usually is where I live.
Heatherrique said... (1/31/09 9:20 PM) Reply
Heidi, since I raised the left and right necklines 2" starting from the lower end, tapering to zero below the shoulders, I had to raise the right front's gathered part so that it was higher than what was marked on the curved edge of the left front. I searched and could not find an asterisk or mark for the placement on the curved piece of the lower left section. You can baste all the edges together and adjust accordingly to center the neckline and to determine your desired level of the neckline.
Heidi Ho said... (1/31/09 8:42 PM) Reply
This version turned out beautiful too! I have a question though since I plan to make this and raise the neckline. When you joined the bodice front to the curved lower section did you join it higher up on the curved piece or did you gather it more. Since I haven't traced this pattern off yet I was curious how you did it. I like the low version shown in BWOF but it really limits where you can wear it. The tale about your student's comment was cute and entertaining!
Christas said... (1/31/09 7:27 PM) Reply
This version is fantastic! Love it!
sewbehind said... (1/31/09 7:03 PM) Reply
I will add my praise to your growing list! Great looking top. You look terrific.
marjenann said... (1/31/09 4:32 PM) Reply
What can I say?? Beautiful as always!!!!
ITAdmin said... (1/31/09 4:00 PM) Reply
Both your tops and the prints are great. Neat pattern, too, although I can see how it could present some unique challenges.
Elke said... (1/31/09 3:22 PM) Reply
Cute top and fabric!
Kellie R. said... (1/31/09 2:38 PM) Reply
Fabulous top!!!! I agree, it's very feminine and flattering. I can see it dressed up with a nice skirt or down with casual pants or jeans. Great job and very helpful review!
crisford said... (1/24/09 9:37 AM) Reply
Very nice top, and your fabric looks perfect for this pattern!
okie2thdoc said... (1/23/09 9:07 PM) Reply
Very cute. Your titles make me giggle...
cindy-lou said... (1/23/09 2:08 PM) Reply
VERRRRRY cute top! Thanks for the helpful post-its. :)
Mahogany Stylist said... (1/23/09 1:50 PM) Reply
I love your top!
cindy-lou said... (1/23/09 1:43 PM) Reply
VERRRRRY cute top! Thanks for the helpful post-its. :)
pterion said... (1/23/09 9:42 AM) Reply
Nice wrap top and you always have such fun reviews!
Jane S said... (1/23/09 9:16 AM) Reply
Wow, your top is so flattering and feminine. Thanks for such a helpful review. I'll be referring to your adjustments when I finally start working on mine.
Heatherrique said... (1/23/09 8:35 AM) Reply
Thanks for the very kind comments! NiceGirl, I included a quick pic of the inside. I hope that helps!
Karen8320 said... (1/23/09 1:58 AM) Reply
Louella, you look an absolute knock-out in this! The style of the top is intriguingly different and the design of the fabric really sets it off perfectly. You've definitely inspired me to become a Burda WOF convert. Great work!
Gelbean said... (1/22/09 7:29 PM) Reply
Cute top. I love the fabric.
AnneMarie60 said... (1/22/09 6:37 PM) Reply
Duplicate post. People always comment that they didn't know how it happened. Truly, I don't know how this happened!
AnneMarie60 said... (1/22/09 4:17 PM) Reply
Very cute top! Most helpful review. I, too, will be copying your neckline adjustment. I also love your gorgeous fabric!
Kbenco said... (1/22/09 3:51 PM) Reply
Very smart top, and very helpful review. I will be copying your neckline adjustment. A one evening top is just what I need!
MelissaB in WA said... (1/22/09 1:57 PM) Reply
Very cute top!
ryan's mom said... (1/22/09 12:47 PM) Reply
This rocks, especially with that great print! In fact, I think I made a top in the same type of fabric, but different shade--pink/purple with sequins. That is such a fun print. You're looking like a Hot Momma for sure!
Peggym said... (1/22/09 11:34 AM) Reply
great top . I will look it out and give it a go. It is very elegant
nicegirl said... (1/22/09 10:59 AM) Reply
Very cute top! I'd love to see a picture of those three layers if you get a chance. I am having a hard time picturing it and I'd like to be lazy and piggyback on your work. Heh.
squirrellypoo said... (1/22/09 3:01 AM) Reply
It looks great on you!! I'm glad you love it so much, too.
renren said... (1/22/09 0:31 AM) Reply
I saw your review and said, "Let's check out Heatherrique's Boutique," and of course found something extraordinary. Another beautiful, unique top!
Ody said... (1/22/09 0:10 AM) Reply
I looked at the picture and thought I bet she got that fabric from Gorgeous Things. You have such good taste in fabric and then you match with the right pattern so well. Great job and the top is gorgeous on you!
Amanda S. said... (1/21/09 10:14 PM) Reply
Great top, and great review as well.
Christas said... (1/21/09 9:54 PM) Reply
Well, you have done it again! How you turn out so many cute garments I haven't a clue! Everything always looks great. This top is no exception. Love that fabulous fabric!
michellep74 said... (1/21/09 6:28 PM) Reply
Very pretty! Count me as another person who didn't notice this top in BWOF but loves your version!
lilyofthevalley said... (1/21/09 5:45 PM) Reply
Louella, your top and the fabric used are divine! You know, I completely missed this top in the BWOF issue and your excellent review has me running to the bookshelf. I must have it and like you, I shun the Burda plunge and will follow your lead. Your closet of stunning tops must be nothing short of breathtaking. Another beauty for you, Lily
PixieCat said... (1/21/09 4:54 PM) Reply
Lovely fabric and beautiful top. It looks great on you!
Heidi Ho said... (1/21/09 4:51 PM) Reply
Thanks for the great review. Your top turned out sooo cute. When I saw the photo I thought that isn't so low cut but after reading the review I can see why. I'll have to try that since I hope to make it up one of these days.
tweedcurtain said... (1/21/09 3:05 PM) Reply
Those gold dots are fun! Thanks for the helpful hints about revising the famous BWOF plunge, and the seaming tips that I am sure non-serger owners are grateful for.
Annette1 said... (1/21/09 2:43 PM) Reply
What a great review, and this top is just PERFECT! Your raising of the neckline brought it to just the right point where it looks nice and yet you don't have to worry about it being too low. You wondered if any of us were familiar with "that annoying little pleat captured in the seam." Why, yes, I'm WELL familiar with that annoying little pleat! In fact, I had a COUPLE of annoying little such pleats in that gathered top I made too. :o) However, I can out-annoy anybody, so I won in the end (with a little help from my friend, the seam ripper). This is one of your BEST TOPS YET! :o)
Em's Summer said... (1/21/09 12:49 PM) Reply
This turned out beautifully! As usual!
shesflipped said... (1/21/09 12:05 PM) Reply
Cute, cute! Great print, great style!
annie11 said... (1/21/09 11:18 AM) Reply
You never cease to amaze me with your gorgeous wardrobe! Great job, and thanks for the tip on raising the neckline.
martinanne said... (1/21/09 10:49 AM) Reply
Thank you for the review! I am glad I have this issue because I really want to make this top.
Elke said... (1/21/09 10:11 AM) Reply
Cute top and great fabric!
carolynw said... (1/21/09 9:35 AM) Reply
Lovely - the fabric is beautiful
Karen6790 said... (1/21/09 9:33 AM) Reply
This one was on my list to sew before I saw yours, but it just jumped up a few steps because of it. Great top, perfect fabric for it - and yes, I have made the acquaintance of that annoying little pleat on more than one occasion. Beautiful top.
Re Becca said... (1/21/09 9:29 AM) Reply
Love the colors, and you just can't beat a one evening shirt that looks so good!
Sic said... (1/21/09 9:27 AM) Reply