Pattern Reviews> McCall's> M5633 (Shorts and Pants in 2 lengths)

Reviewed by:QuiltSewSewSue

About QuiltSewSewSuestarstarstar
QLD Australia
Member since: 4/28/08
Posted on:1/27/09 4:21 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 5 people

velosewer said... (6/13/10 4:02 AM) Reply
Thank you for sharing your experiences with this pattern. I'm just about to cut a pair out for the beach and now I'll definitely take your advice and see what challenges I have. I'm also ditching the cuff on the shorts because I have cyclist thighs. That's a nice way of saying thick and heavy:)
Em's Summer said... (5/23/09 1:36 PM) Reply
Thank you for covering the pitfalls! Great review!
Caroleleah said... (1/30/09 7:00 PM) Reply
QSSS: A fitting issue with the cuffs!That's great information to have on this pattern; thank you so much for your description of your fitting challenge, and your "gosh-darn-it-I'm-gonna-wear-these!" solution. You truly look cute in your short shorts! With your fix, the legs ended up being just exactly the right width at the thigh, and the overall fit is just GREAT! You look like a very petite/shorter lady, and the waistline sitting a bit higher than you'd hoped actually gives you the appearance of more leg length - you're totally cute! Thanks for the review!
Caitycat said... (1/28/09 10:03 AM) Reply
What a disappointment! We must try and find a solution to this cuff thing - why do they fit FINE then suddenly turn into tourniquets when rolled? I don't understand that at all. That said - WORK THOSE SHORT SHORTS, WOO HOOO!!! I think they look great. Ok, not as "going out for the evening" shorts, but as knockaround everyday shorts? Fine! (Of course, I still cannot come to grips with the juxtaposition of the words "Formal" and "Shorts" - it just DOES. NOT. WORK.)
persevering said... (1/28/09 1:38 AM) Reply
QSSS - Your reply is greatly appreciated. Thanks again for your attention to detail which you are so kindly sharing.
QuiltSewSewSue said... (1/27/09 5:21 PM) Reply
Persevering - the fit was good apart from the things mentioned in the review.
persevering said... (1/27/09 1:40 PM) Reply
Looking good! The fit looks great to me! And you didn't have to make adjustments (crotch, etc.)? Thanks for your review. (I've been wondering about how these would be to sew and look as pants.)
donna mel said... (1/27/09 7:49 AM) Reply
sorry you didn't end up with what you set out wanting. beautiful choice of fabric. i have to say mccalls is not my favorite.
Natasha B said... (1/27/09 4:51 AM) Reply
You wear your short shorts well! I thought they looked short in your photo - I figured you were braver than me, until I read there were issues with the cuff. They look great even if they aren't what you were planning. I just made KS3614 and was really happy (although they weren't cuffed). I'll race you for review 28!!!

Favorite Things Little Hip Skirts Pattern