Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6749 (Misses Dresses)

Reviewed by:laranoelle

About laranoellestar
Member since: 1/29/09
Sewing skills:Beginner
Posted on:1/30/09 6:23 PM
Last Updated:9/21/09 0:38 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 5 people    Very Helpful by 1 people
Jaloma said... (5/9/12 9:35 AM) Reply
I think your dress looks amazing! Sorry to hear it doesn't fit well. I made another New Look pattern recently with a boat neck and cap sleeves and the front was too wide and gappy; I ripped the front seam away from the facing, carefully sewed four pintucks in the front, then (painstakingly) cut and joined the facing to match the shortened front of the bodice and reattached to the front. It worked an absolute treat. I think New Look (for me) run large around the upper and lower chest; then again I'm a C or D cup so maybe need to cut smaller size and do FBA.
laranoelle said... (9/21/09 11:13 AM) Reply
Thanks for the comments. I am getting better now at basting first and fitting dresses on my dress form before doing the final stitching. I am also more comfortable taking things apart and trying again! Thanks for the encouragement!! :)
okie2thdoc said... (9/21/09 8:43 AM) Reply
Is there anyone who can help you fit the dresses you make before you do the final sewing? You've got talent and now you need a little help before you become frustrated. Hang in there!!! Cute dress, sorry it didn't work out like you'd hoped but don't give up!!
arianamaniacs said... (9/21/09 7:40 AM) Reply
You did lovely work! Even though you're not 100% satisfied, you can still wear it. You also learned from it, so it's already a winner from my point of view =)
thirteenstitches said... (9/20/09 7:59 AM) Reply
Sorry your dress did not come out wearable! I hope you can salvage the fabric for a top maybe because it is a beautiful print and color. Nice try.
Kayseri said... (9/20/09 5:49 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review, it's a shame your dress didn't work (such pretty fabric), but its good to warn the rest of us.
EleanorSews said... (6/3/09 10:17 AM) Reply
So sorry this was not a good experience. But, it is so important so share the wadders as well as the winners. Better luck next time around. Most of us have our share of wadders, too.
PatM said... (1/30/09 9:14 PM) Reply
Welcome to pattern review! You must be disappointed with this dress. If you read the other reviews of this pattern, you will see that others have had similar problems.with the cap sleeves and bodice. You may have still decided to make this dress for the reasons you metioned. I hop your next dress is more successful. Check the reviews for the other versions. It is better to change the view and be successful than to persist with a view that doesn't work. The thumbs up sign means only that the pattern has been reviewed more than 5 times. It doesn't mean they are all good reviews or even that the same view or garment has been made from the pattern. I hope your next effort is a winner.
sewcrazy53 said... (1/30/09 6:36 PM) Reply
I had similar problems with a prom dress for my daughter, which I cut out in the smallest size - Size 6. The bodice was at least two inches too big; much too much to take in and look decent. The sewing teacher helped, and then the dress look a lot nicer. Good luck with your dress.

BurdaStyle Magazine 01-2015-109