Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8561 (Marcy Tilton)

Reviewed by:Ann Smith

About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Posted on:3/3/09 2:20 AM
Last Updated:1/23/10 7:32 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 22 people
Barbara V said... (1/24/10 1:52 PM) Reply
Ann, Both of your skirts are fabulous each creating a different mood and fashion need. That your DH assisted in leveling the hemline is very sweet!
lmg said... (1/24/10 1:39 PM) Reply
The pocket looks fantastic. I love this new version in grey wool. Dressy but casual. Lovely.
Ann Smith said... (1/24/10 1:33 AM) Reply
sew2little, I hand sewed the hem. Now that I see it in the photos I think I should have trimmed the hem narrower to prevent drag on the stitches.
Christas said... (1/24/10 0:10 AM) Reply
Well, you have forged through your traumatic stress and made another very pretty skirt! Your pocket detail is just lovely. Both skirts look so nice! Glad you stuck with it and came up with a solution to the mistakes in the pattern.
sew2little said... (1/23/10 7:53 PM) Reply
Great look, Ann! As usual, your sense of style is right on! Did you hem by hand or machine? Marci
Sew4Fun said... (1/23/10 7:31 PM) Reply
Ann, your pinstripe skirt is gorgeous! I want, want, want it. :) Your whole outfit is wonderful. I am bookmarking this review as inspiration for when autumn rolls around. Great outfit!
m/m said... (3/22/09 5:03 PM) Reply
Marcy Tilton's website now has an explaination of how to use the pattern piece(s) that gave Ann so much grief. It's all got to do with ironing out the stretch in the bias cut pattern pieces and then recutting them with the stretch removed. See for directions and photos of how to cut the bias pieces. It looks like the directions are being corrected too.
Ann Smith said... (3/18/09 11:52 AM) Reply
ssssdeb, none of that makes any sense to me. What are they saying?
ssssdeb said... (3/18/09 11:38 AM) Reply
I just got this second response. Thought I'd share. Dear Debbie, When the problem 1st originated, I pinned the tissue using the new method, and it works correctly. There is nothing wrong with the tissue. Cordially, Meg Carter Consumer Services
ssssdeb said... (3/18/09 11:18 AM) Reply
I just got this from Vogue. It sure doesn't seem to jive with this review. I believe the reviewer and think Vogue is not taking full responsibility. Dear Debbie, Thank you for your email concerning Vogue Pattern 8561. Whenever possible we try to provide our home sewers with the information they request. I will send you a copy of the revised guide. The tissue has not been changed. The optional part on the guide you have, has been now made apart of the construction no longer optional. Cordially, Meg Carter Consumer Services
ssssdeb said... (3/17/09 1:21 PM) Reply
This was very helpful but a bit scary! So glad I read the review before sewing it up. I will contact Vogue to find out about a replacement pattern. Thanks!
Barbara V said... (3/12/09 1:17 PM) Reply
Even though the fabric was fussy and the pattern contained fatal flaws your finished skirt is beautiful especially combined with the top and jacket!
gotasew said... (3/9/09 10:19 PM) Reply
Thankyou I have this pattern and was going to try it with a pinstripe polyester??? Maybe I'll give it a miss.
Kit said... (3/6/09 8:16 PM) Reply
Your skirt turned out great despite all the problems. I have this pattern too so I wrote to Vogue customer service to ask them how to get a corrected version, and they replied with a new instruction sheet in pdf format. The fix is just what you said -- remove extra fabric from perimeter of the three pieces.
Mahler said... (3/4/09 9:59 PM) Reply
This is such a great skirt, littlejazzbird and I wanted to buy the pattern. Am I ever so happy I red your review. Your rescue 911 worked really well. The final look is excellent. For the traumatic stress, I hope that Vogue as good lawyers ! ;-)
Pam~Off The Cuff~ said... (3/4/09 4:00 AM) Reply
Ann..thanks so much for this review! I have this pattern and you just saved me alot of angst...whew!
Physics Girl said... (3/3/09 4:24 PM) Reply
Wow... I eyed this pattern quite a bit but passed on it, because there's just too many patterns and too little time. Phew! I'm glad this eventually worked out for you... your results are lovely as always.
lilyofthevalley said... (3/3/09 2:09 PM) Reply
Ann, this is not the first time I've seen you evade the pitfalls of a faulty pattern/difficult fabric and rise from the ashes like the Phoenix. Your entire ensemble is Utter Class and I'm pea green with envy. Lovely, Lily
sewtime said... (3/3/09 1:37 PM) Reply
FANTASTIC outfit!!
cecelia said... (3/3/09 12:41 PM) Reply
Thanks for the warning on this since I just bought the pattern. Yours turned out beautifully though.
DorothyK said... (3/3/09 12:24 PM) Reply
I know what you went through with this pattern. I'm in awe that you were able to work it out - and thankful that I haven't yet purchased the pattern. The entire outfit looks stunning on you.
Robynz said... (3/3/09 11:14 AM) Reply
I tried this pattern.... luckily I cut a muslin first.... I didn't have the fortitude to go through everything it would have required to make it work.. You are right.. The pattern in incorrect in several places. The length is so long that after I would have shortened it to a better length, I felt I would have lost quite a bit of the feel, (and that would also mean fixing all the other errors.) In the end I tossed the pattern - an expensive throwaway... I was very disappointed!
moushka said... (3/3/09 10:07 AM) Reply
Your outfit is gorgeous despite the pattern nightmare. A less experienced sewist would have ended up with a wadder. Let's hope Vogue fixes this error quickly for all of us who love Marcy's designs. Thanks also for identifying the problem with the pattern. At least PR readers will know what to look for if they want to try it out. What an incredible help you are to us here on PR, Ann! Thank you for so generously sharing your expertise and experience with us. Sue
hmacski said... (3/3/09 9:44 AM) Reply
Hi Ann: I just read your review and it prompted me to go back and re-read the other reviews for this pattern just in the nick of time. This was my next sewing project and I really like the fabric I've picked out for it, so I don't want this project to end up in the trash!! Instead, I've just sent an email to customer service at vogue patterns asking about their plans to revamp the pattern and make good on it for all of us who rushed to purchase it. So thank you all for having educated us about the pitfalls of this pattern. Ann: As always, you've done a creditable job. Great outfit and you've inspired me to try the plaza jacket on a piece of fabric I have in stash. I just gotta say, Missy Ann - you totally rock and always inspire me to try something new.
li'l miss muffett said... (3/3/09 9:32 AM) Reply
This really looks gorgeous! The Plaza Jacket looks cool with it, too. Thanks for the review though, I've been drooling over that pattern but haven't bought it yet. Wonder how long it'll take them to get ti fixed! LOL!!
pterion said... (3/3/09 9:09 AM) Reply
Your outfit looks lovely despite the ordeal. I also think that at the very least Vogue should replace the pattern and reimburse you for the fabric. Thank you so much for the review!
Grammy Gin said... (3/3/09 8:56 AM) Reply
Lovely outfit...shame you had the problem that Vogue was not able to figure out. They certainly should owe you something!
CarolynGM said... (3/3/09 7:52 AM) Reply
Thank goodness you reviewed this pattern. I have it and had hoped to make it up soon, but now it's going on the back burner. Yours turned out well despite all the problems you had.
Modiste Madness said... (3/3/09 7:37 AM) Reply
Thanks for being the pioneer on this one. Your results are great, but I feel your pain.
Yvonski said... (3/3/09 2:26 AM) Reply
I feel for you. Well done, the outfit looks fantastic. Vogue should send you a bottle of wine for bringing it to their attention. As if they care LOL
The Technique of Underlining Garments