Online Sewing Class: Leather 101

Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5300 (Connie Crawford Blouse)

Reviewed by:Debbie Cook

About Debbie Cookstarstarstarstar
Member since: 4/11/02

Posted on:2/25/09 8:17 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 78 people

bphillips33 said... (10/2/13 1:03 PM) Reply
Just found this pattern at a thrift shop for .25, and it's not even cut! I've been looking for a basic blouse pattern in multi-sizes. But I REALLY struck gold when I found your review! I can't wait to begin. Thank, Debbie. It is tremendously helpful. And your sewing skills are impressive!
puckcarrier said... (3/16/13 0:14 AM) Reply
Great review! I love all the pictures, especially the one with Chilli the Wonder Dog. I also agree with you about shortening sleeve length.
heathergwo said... (12/6/11 11:35 PM) Reply
Wow! looks great and really detailed review - thanks for sharing!!
HappySheep said... (8/19/11 7:38 PM) Reply
I found it hard to find a blouse with a peter pan collar. I think I looked through 5 books before finding this one. (I'm thinking it will look very "Mad Men" under a cute cardigan) I have printed off your review Debbie and hope it will help me. Thank you.
Christine B said... (9/18/09 11:14 AM) Reply
I've pulled this patten out of my stash, and am looking forward to trying it out in hopes of making it my TNT blouse pattern. I really appreciate the detail you go into in your reviews - I'm somewhat narrow through the shoulders, somewhat thick waisted and a DD+ cup, so I'm really hopeful that this one will fit fairly well right out of the envelope.
Jo Ann Ely said... (8/18/09 3:23 PM) Reply
Connie is coming to our ASG in Oct and making a 2 day seminar on this blouse pattern and all the different ways to change it. Thanks for all you hard work and photos!!!!
Desert Lady said... (6/5/09 9:31 PM) Reply
Thanks for all the 'extra' pictures that show your changes.
spratley said... (3/17/09 11:19 PM) Reply
Have you tried Petite Plus patterns? Designed for narrow shoulders, D cup bust, "real" (plus) sized shorter women. Sounds like a lot of your normal alterations would already be in these patterns. I love them...worth checking out!
Izzie said... (3/7/09 10:59 PM) Reply
Wow! Great review, I don't know how I missed seeing it when you first posted it. Your blouse is perfection!
lorjoh1 said... (3/4/09 11:54 PM) Reply
I love this blouse and have ordered it than ks for so much info have printed it out and am ready to go when the pattern arrives many thanks
Andreahg said... (3/4/09 7:40 AM) Reply
WOW! this blouse looks fantastic on you. I struggled with the fit, but maybe it's worth going back for another try.
marciae said... (3/2/09 8:58 AM) Reply
I have a blouse started - hope mine turns out as well as yours. Great review - as always!!
PJDiddy said... (3/1/09 2:07 PM) Reply
I love the pattern. The blouse looks great sewed up.
fourkid said... (3/1/09 10:00 AM) Reply
Great review - and lovely blouse. I read all your blog entries and reviews and learn so much from you - how about a Tampa area meeting and fabric shoppping day????
thimbledore said... (3/1/09 8:52 AM) Reply
Thanks for posting all of your experience with this pattern. Very educational. :-) And that top looks so excellent on you!
Yvonski said... (2/28/09 4:54 PM) Reply
Another really great review. I learn so much from you. A big thankyou.
lorjoh1 said... (2/28/09 4:20 PM) Reply
I love the look of the blouse and found the review very helpful
JanJanB said... (2/28/09 1:02 PM) Reply
Your blouse looks gorgeous! I especially like how it fits in the sleeve area.
prkj said... (2/28/09 11:35 AM) Reply
Debbie, you always have something useful to say about fitting, and I carry it along to other patterns. The instructions with CC's patterns don't necessarily tell you how to get the most out of them. But you do!
ReneeSews said... (2/28/09 11:18 AM) Reply
I may have to give this pattern a try! After my many failed attempts at a good blouse pattern, lol. Great Review as always, Thank you!
PaulaM1960 said... (2/28/09 9:59 AM) Reply
Thank you! I'm adding this to my wishlist and will get it the next time I'm out. I've been looking for a good blouse pattern. I'm shaped about the same as you so it's great to see it made up and how nice it looks on you! The piping is a wonderful touch. Thank you.
Rhoda K said... (2/28/09 9:25 AM) Reply
As always - a beautiful blouse and a thorough review. I'm definitely trying this pattern, too.
dreamdesigner said... (2/27/09 5:22 PM) Reply
You're definitely NOT the only one that likes to study pattern pieces! I would definitely miss it on pattern instructions. Even Burda has those!!! Cute blouse!
Annette1 said... (2/26/09 11:39 PM) Reply
THERE'S Miss Debbie, looking FABULOUS as ever! I've missed your reviews, and enjoyed every word of this one. (And NO, you're NOT the only one who likes to study pattern piece drawings.) I'm SO mad at my PC, as it's not letting me open any pictures.>>>:o( I hope I can tomorrow. I CAN tell the color looks GREAT on you, and I know your reputation, so I know it's sewn beautifully. You've convinced me this pattern is well worth the having. And I really NEED another pattern! Great job. :o)
OP Gal said... (2/26/09 7:27 PM) Reply
Love the fabric, especially the color. I'd never thought of edge stitching the back pleat like that, but it looks great. I'll be doing that in the future. I love the picture of you with Chili. You're obviously fully in control as you appear to be issuing a command while Chili dutifully obeys. I'm impressed.
pdavis114 said... (2/26/09 6:34 PM) Reply
Thanks so much! And like you said, I ordered two of them. Appreciate your help so much! Get well. Patricia
marycds said... (2/26/09 4:11 PM) Reply
I bought some of the Crawford patterns from her website before she started designing for Butterick. Didn't like them especially the dresses/tops that had a design change at the shoulder to eliminate the need for darts- only looked good if I was standing up with arms down and not moving. I haven't really tried any of the Butterick Crawfords but I will try this. I've been looking for a camp style shirt with darts and a yoke. Thanks a bunch for a great review.
Grammy Gin said... (2/26/09 3:06 PM) Reply
Wonderful review, Debbie. Your work is so impeccable...so perfect! I love the fabric & the added piping detail.
TessKwiltz said... (2/26/09 1:59 PM) Reply
Great review & great blouse! You inspire me!
gatorgirl4325 said... (2/26/09 12:41 PM) Reply
I bought this one on your recommendation and can't wait to try it for myself! Chili is too cute :)
Deepika said... (2/26/09 12:13 PM) Reply
Not only does the pattern rock, its your shirt and your REVIEW too. Love the peter pan collar!
carolynw said... (2/26/09 9:16 AM) Reply
Really nice - love the color - loooks realy nice on you
eugenia123 said... (2/26/09 8:07 AM) Reply
I love this blouse, you look great wearing it and it looks like it fits you perfectly!
mssewcrazy said... (2/26/09 7:53 AM) Reply
I love the becky homeecky term -just added it to my sewing vocabulary permanently. I am such a dufus I would have used the facing blindly following instructions. When I ever get this blouse started I will not use the back facing. Lol!
jbsew said... (2/26/09 7:11 AM) Reply
Great review and great spring blouse!
Athene said... (2/26/09 0:40 AM) Reply
A very attractive blouse in the paisley with piping trim and thank you for such an informative review. Your dog is adorable and I love that giant tree in the background - its a beautiful backdrop for your photo.
sewtime said... (2/26/09 0:10 AM) Reply
Love-love your blouse.
Sherril Miller said... (2/25/09 11:52 PM) Reply
What is up with that skimpy back yoke. Definitely lengthen it next time. I really like how you added the piping. This year, I'm going to try to add those little design details to all my garments.
Mrs. Franks said... (2/25/09 10:53 PM) Reply
This is my first comment ever! I have the pattern and I am looking forward to trying it!
PVA said... (2/25/09 10:52 PM) Reply
Thanks for another great review/tutorial. I love the blouse, it has all the elements I truly love to wear, especially the back with the yoke & pleat. The sizing and groupings look very encouraging. I'm another one who's going to just do with the patterns I already have. (Hah! Something like a snowballs chance we all know where!)
Luckylibbet said... (2/25/09 10:44 PM) Reply
Excellent review, and a really terrific blouse. So nice to hear you have another TNT!
Enis said... (2/25/09 10:39 PM) Reply
Debbie, The top look fantastic on you. And I loved your review. So much very pertinent info for me -- especially since I am trying my first CC pattern for the Plus Size Sew Along.
Diana M said... (2/25/09 10:27 PM) Reply
Thanks for this great review, Debbie -- I have this one tucked away, it keeps calling me, but I've been holding off cuz I didn't want to have my hopes dashed -- you've given me courage!
Darla in PA said... (2/25/09 10:10 PM) Reply
Great blouse! You make me want to run out and purchase this pattern just for the DD sizing. My pattern cabinet is completely stuffed yet. :)
Sew4Fun said... (2/25/09 9:46 PM) Reply
Nice blouse!
Karendee said... (2/25/09 8:41 PM) Reply
This is a great review and you look lovely in your blouse. What a wonderful find with this pattern that requires almost no alteration before making.
mssewcrazy said... (2/25/09 8:36 PM) Reply
Drats you only told us to get one copy- now I have to wait for another road trip or sale ! I do think I will get it in the other size range just in case I lose weight(yeah right). Your blouse is wonderful looking and the dog is too cute also. Thanks for telling us about this one.
CTBarb said... (2/25/09 8:35 PM) Reply
Thanks for the wonderful review. I also am a little skeptical fo Connie Crawford patterns....but you have inspired me to consider buying this one. Your blouse looks wonderful on you...great fit.
QuiltersFan said... (2/25/09 8:34 PM) Reply
Excellent review. Great blouse. Just when I thought I wasn't going to buy any more patterns....
Christas said... (2/25/09 8:30 PM) Reply
Flawless sewing...... the collar piping looks so nice, as does all of the blouse!
Meggie LuLu said... (2/25/09 8:24 PM) Reply
Your blouse looks so nice on you!! I LOVE the fabric you used!!

Colette Patterns Meringue