Pattern Reviews> Butterick> B5053 (Butterick by Connie Crawford)

Reviewed by:rejoyce

Last Updated:3/1/09 11:46 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 11 people
bananaoil said... (3/7/09 4:29 PM) Reply
Your pants look good. You could end up with a TNT pants pattern, a quest I've been on for years. Good luck!
Carol Mendoza said... (3/3/09 1:53 PM) Reply
Rejoyce, you did a wonderful job on your pants, I hope to try a pair myself soon. With the great tips given in the comments I'm sure the next pair will be even better and like Sherril says a good fitting pair of pants is like gold!
michellep74 said... (3/2/09 10:46 PM) Reply
Nice job on your new pants! I agree with Sherril--definitely check out the Sandra Betzina video on putting in a fly front zipper. It's the only method of putting in a fly zipper that I've seen that's made sense to me.
Sherril Miller said... (3/2/09 10:06 PM) Reply
First of all, congratulations on finding a pants pattern that isn't a pull-on. You need to go to Threads magazine's website and find the Sandra Betzina video on her fly zipper method. It's fool proof and you'll never see the zipper with that method. Honest. Second, your fit is really good over the hips, which is hard to do. The legs still need some tweeking, but it's not quite as hard. I recommend you not wear tapered pants. You need a straight legged pattern and it's easy to alter this pattern for. So congratulations, you're well on your way to a great TNT pants pattern. You know, they are more precious than gold.
EleanorSews said... (3/2/09 12:45 PM) Reply
Lots of information here! Pants fitting is really such a major undertaking and you've come very close indeed. Hats off to you on this one!
Ody said... (3/2/09 9:36 AM) Reply
Rejoyce, You have done a wonderful job on those pants. There is a Plus size sew along with some of the very best fitting people there in that thread. I went back through a few pages and did not see your name, so if you are not posting there, you need to be. We would love to have you with open arms. Sherill or Debbie could help you tweek the fit so your pants could kick it up another notch. Great review, and hope to see you there.
Nancy Rhodes said... (3/2/09 8:32 AM) Reply
Hi Pants are difficult -- but once you get a better fit, a wearable pair which you clearly have here... you can improve with every subsequent pair. Congrats! You are on a roll. Bravo!
sewnsew43 said... (3/2/09 7:51 AM) Reply
CC sizes do run large as I found out with her sccop neck top. It fell off my shoulders. In my ongoing quest for the perfect pants I may try these next. It is better to err on the side of too big so altering is possible and they are not a total loss. Good job
renren said... (3/2/09 5:30 AM) Reply
Thanks for your review! I had considered buying a couple of CC patterns, but my measurements put me right on the border of the smaller and larger sizes meaning I would have to buy both size ranges to make sure I was covered. With this information, that her sizes run larger, I can probably get away with buying just one size range (and I would never actually buy both patterns for coverage, so this means I will go back and seriously consider her patterns). Good luck as you continue tweaking the pattern!
Tall Mary said... (3/1/09 11:51 PM) Reply
Thank you for this very helpful review. I have some of Connie Crawford's patterns and had read that they run large. It is helpful that you reiterated this in your review and discussed the type of fabric you used. Kathy

StyleArc Steffi Jacket