Mood Fabrics
Mood Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> BurdaStyle Magazine> 02-2009-119 (Puff Sleeve dress)

Reviewed by:CynthiaSue

About CynthiaSuestarstarstarstar
Member since: 10/11/03
Posted on:3/6/09 3:54 PM
Last Updated:3/6/09 5:51 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 26 people
chango said... (4/21/09 8:36 PM) Reply
I was warming up to this pattern, but I guess I'll skip it! I was wondering if the english instructions were written better, but I guess not, the french one are really bad... Well it does look good on you, because of that I'm still tempted to try it, hoping it looks as good as yours...thanks for the review!
SueV said... (4/10/09 7:15 PM) Reply
thanks for the tips on this.... I plan on tackling this this weekend
Kellie R. said... (3/7/09 5:01 PM) Reply
This is gorgeous Cindy! It's really flattering on you. Looks great AND is comfortable - what winner all around!
LindsayT said... (3/7/09 12:01 PM) Reply
I really love this dress on you.
Diane E said... (3/7/09 11:59 AM) Reply
Cindy, I really enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for all the helpful tips and thanks so much for the humor! I think your dress looks great and you look wonderful in it.
crisford said... (3/7/09 11:09 AM) Reply
Looks so darn cute on you; lucky you have the figure to make those puffed sleeves look feminine.
marjenann said... (3/7/09 9:30 AM) Reply
Smart and sassy!! What a dress!!
JEF said... (3/7/09 7:30 AM) Reply
I have to add to the chorus - you look great in that dress!
SoMsGal said... (3/7/09 6:26 AM) Reply
Very cute dress and the fit is fabulous.
morzel said... (3/7/09 1:48 AM) Reply
Looks wonderful on you!!!
cabinbaby said... (3/6/09 11:46 PM) Reply
It looks fantastic on you even though you had trouble with the sleeves. I want to make another shirt with a stretch velour but haven't gotten up the nerve yet. :)
Mahler said... (3/6/09 11:33 PM) Reply
I am sorry you had trouble constructing it. I think we should all write a long letter to BWOF and explain to them that good translator are available on the planet. Their instructions are as bad in French. I wonder if they are good at least in German ? Anyway, you look great, on the other end, was does not look good on you ?
Heidi Ho said... (3/6/09 9:04 PM) Reply
That dress looks so cute on you. I got lost on the construction details but will pull them up again if I decide to make this one!
Sew4Fun said... (3/6/09 8:42 PM) Reply
I like your dress! Glad to see you made it work even with poor instructions.
Heatherrique said... (3/6/09 8:41 PM) Reply
Cindy, this is really a fab looking dress with "global and overseas" appeal! I know a fellow PR mentioned you look like Nikki Taylor. You could also be a dead ringer for Cindy Crawford. Thanks for a very informative review!
AuntieShel said... (3/6/09 8:29 PM) Reply
Your dress is absolutely charming, I'm sorry you don't like it. I hope you'll wear it as it looks fabulous on you. Amazing how some instructions are crystal clear and others like mud.
Em's Summer said... (3/6/09 7:52 PM) Reply
Your dress looks soo pretty! I especially love the sleeves! It was definitely worth the effort! Great job!
Elke said... (3/6/09 7:07 PM) Reply
This dress looks very cute on you...definitely worth the effort!
Vintage Joan said... (3/6/09 7:00 PM) Reply
SO cute! Thanks for the translations. Burda's "English" wording really, really sucks. Your clarifications are extremely helpful.
MelissaB in WA said... (3/6/09 6:41 PM) Reply
That is really cute! Looks like it was worth the effort.
Gold said... (3/6/09 5:56 PM) Reply
You look very cute in your dress!Great job!!
Markie1 said... (3/6/09 5:51 PM) Reply
Cindy- you look adorable in that dress! I love your review, you are so funny and it was so helpful. Thank you!
marec said... (3/6/09 5:49 PM) Reply
OK, I'm going to pass on this pattern but really, really like the dress on you. It is gorgeous and you look terrific in it.
CynthiaSue said... (3/6/09 5:47 PM) Reply
yes, i really wanted to comment on CabinBaby's tutorial. I think we did similar things with the same end result. I know that she attached the inner sleeve, both the top and bottom of it to the puff sleeve before attaching the lower fronts and backs which is different than the order of BWOF. So go with what works for you guys or do it your own way as i'm sure there is another!
Re Becca said... (3/6/09 5:25 PM) Reply
That does look so darling! It was so worth the effort.
Christina Sonja said... (3/6/09 5:05 PM) Reply
Well, the sleeves sound like a PITA but the end result is worth it. Looks like a great dress for many situations.
Byrdie said... (3/6/09 5:04 PM) Reply
Despite your issues with the contruction, you ended up with a darling dress!
fuzzygalore said... (3/6/09 5:04 PM) Reply
Well, it looks like nobody could figure it right out.. But yours looks totally gorgeous. Simple, elegant, but different. Very cool.
Christas said... (3/6/09 4:58 PM) Reply
This looks great on you!
kasizzle said... (3/6/09 4:49 PM) Reply
You made it work, however tough it was. It looks great on you!
pterion said... (3/6/09 4:43 PM) Reply
Your dress is unbelievably cute and your review made me laugh. I'm in the middle of making the puff sleeve top. I puzzled over that 2nd step forever before I finally realized they just meant you should understitch the seam. Yeesh! Thanks for the helpful translations! Not that you need it now, but check out the reviews for #118 (the top). Angie a. and cabinbaby have some really helpful tutorials for that tricky armpit seam.
Meggie LuLu said... (3/6/09 4:23 PM) Reply
CUTE!! CUTE!! I LOVE your new dress!! You look STUNNING in it!!
cindy-lou said... (3/6/09 4:07 PM) Reply
Cindy, you look cute as ANYTHING in this dress! Definitely worth your effort! But based on your review, I'll skip this baby and move on. Great review-- thank you!

Understanding Sheer Fabrics