Pattern Reviews> Jean Hardy> 630 (Misses' Riding Jacket)

Reviewed by:MaryDB

About MaryDBstar
Member since: 2/9/08
Posted on:3/5/09 1:15 AM

Other Projects by MaryDB using this Pattern

Just Make it Sew

Quality Fashion Fabrics

Arctic Mama said... (9/9/13 7:44 PM) Reply
Wow. Just wow. Looks awesome, and after hearing the arduous battle to complete it, my hat is off to you!
fourkid said... (2/18/11 11:37 PM) Reply
I just bought this pattern on e-bay. After a few years since your review, there still isn't anything else out there for equestrian jackets. DD just asked me to do this for her. I have never done a tailored jacket - but I will do what I can. Thanks for the heads up on the difficult areas and the tips. I am hoping to persevere to the end and hope my jacket will look as good as yours - they are so expensive to buy new (or even gently used), aren't they?
Saille said... (1/28/10 11:10 PM) Reply
I found this really helpful as far as wondering about how hard the instructions where. I was thinking of buying #680, because i had already made a show coat from suitability and hated the instructions, but at least all the marking where there and the pieces fit together. When i made that show coat, I too went thru my vintage tayloring and sewing books as well as my newer ones! I did ask Jean Hardy if she knew if the instructions are difficult for her patterns and she some people have told her they where. so I guess I will use the suitability pattern again, cuz at least the patterns have all marking on they for lenthening/shortening etc.
PrairieTides said... (7/7/09 1:33 PM) Reply
Nice job! I've tried the Jean Hardy 1017 Misses tops, the princess seamed top. I don't remember any problems with the instructions, but the muslin I made ended up too short in the body, too low in the front, and just looks bad on me! It looks beautiful on the hanger though! LOL!
Christas said... (3/6/09 5:03 PM) Reply
Simply beautiful jacket! Excellent review!
AdaF said... (3/5/09 2:52 PM) Reply
Good job!
CynthiaSue said... (3/5/09 1:48 PM) Reply
Well, wow. Yes, a pattern from the 70's would definitely be drafted for a "misses" which is a 16 yo stick figure perfectly erect body with no fat. Thats how they all were. Tailoring.....sigh. I had nothing but empathy for you. Even when you are good at it, there are just so many obstacles. I really like that the pattern is true to the current RTW one or vice versa! It is a gorgeous style. And with you being true to realy wool, and your tailoring, it won't matter that it's on the barn floor, it will last forever!!! That RTW jacket is probably 50%polyester and doesn't have hardly any internal construction at all! Congratulations. This is a fine piece of work you should be very proud of.
amy in mpls said... (3/5/09 12:14 PM) Reply
What a well done jacket! Shoot, i would wear it out with jeans its so cute! Best of luck to your DD!
Kellie R. said... (3/5/09 9:57 AM) Reply
This is gorgeous! When I lived in England, I paid 250 pounds for my wool riding jacket (12 years ago) - You did a great job - it's just beautiful!
nancy2001 said... (3/5/09 9:54 AM) Reply
What a great jacket and what an adventure. Tally ho!
HeyJane said... (3/5/09 8:41 AM) Reply
Wow your work paid off...that's a beautiful coat. PLEASE do not let it hit the floor of the barn or any other floor !!
marjenann said... (3/5/09 7:44 AM) Reply
Totally awesome and amazing!! This is a once in a lifetime coat. I am sure your DD will cherish this forever. A true masterpiece. You have raised the bar!!
mars418 said... (3/5/09 7:05 AM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful jacket and great job completing what sounds like an impossible job! Love the canary vest also.
mssewcrazy said... (3/5/09 7:02 AM) Reply
After the years of putting together Suitability I hope now adult (horse loving) daughter never wants to fox hunt or wants me to revisit sewing competition jackets/clothes. Lol! Your daughter's jacket looks really great- nice work.
Nancy Rhodes said... (3/5/09 6:18 AM) Reply
Awesome! Hat's off to your perseverance in the hunt to the end. & lucky daughter!
Diana M said... (3/5/09 2:55 AM) Reply
BRAVO! for sticking this through -- your DD has a beautiful coat. After all this work, if it does end up on the floor of the barn, well, I'd think there'd be some more clapper-beating called for . . . LOL

StyleArc Jessica Dress