Online Sewing Class: Put it on the Bias

Pattern Reviews> Kwik Sew> 3181 (Jacket and dress)

Reviewed by:SouthernStitch

About SouthernStitchstarstarstar
United States
Posted on:11/13/03 9:54 AM
Last Updated:11/13/03 10:05 AM

lacidazy said... (3/13/08 12:55 PM) Reply
Great review....gave me tips to look for that I appreciate.
oldsewandsew said... (11/18/03 9:11 AM) Reply
Very Helpful review, and very good looking Jacket. Sounds like you and I have some similar problems to cope with, so I really appreciated your comments. Looks great Mary!
LittleShell said... (11/13/03 5:17 PM) Reply
Mary, I loved this jacket when I saw it on Friday. I meant to try it on, but totally forgot. (Maybe I was tired that night? Duh.) Do you think I could wear this--with a smaller print or a tone on tone solid? I think it might work on me if the fabric drapes enough.
Rhonda Noah said... (11/13/03 3:45 PM) Reply
Mary, I remember you saying you wanted to make this for PR weekend, and I thought I spotted it in the pix! Great job. And hey, if the sleeve doesn't bother you, who else would notice? Lovely!
SouthernStitch said... (11/13/03 2:59 PM) Reply
Thanks everyone for such nice comments! I am sooo sold on KS since sewing this pattern. They do wovens just as great as knit patterns!
gabrielle said... (11/13/03 2:12 PM) Reply
MaryT, that jacket looks great and I had completely passed that pattern by. It's nice to see it made up and looking sharp, and I can't wait to see it in your brocade.
Sammie said... (11/13/03 1:56 PM) Reply
Your jacket is lovely, the fit is so flattering. Can't wait to make it for me!
Oopsy-Daisy! said... (11/13/03 11:56 AM) Reply
This looks so flattering on you!
Dale C said... (11/13/03 11:49 AM) Reply
Can't tell the sleeves are backwards... looks stylish Mary.
AnneM said... (11/13/03 11:25 AM) Reply
Hey, I saw the NY pictures and said "Wow, love that jacket Mary T is wearing." I thought you had mentioned making the clothes you brought, so I wondered which pattern. Very nice. Unique look while not being super trendy.
Gigi Louis said... (11/13/03 11:02 AM) Reply
Just beautiful, Mary! Backward sleeve, what backward sleeve? :-)
Peggy L said... (11/13/03 11:00 AM) Reply
Sharp outfit!! I love the Brussels, too.
Teri said... (11/13/03 10:47 AM) Reply
Mary, I love your jacket. How lucky for you that the backward sleeve doesn't bug you. The style looks great on you!
Mini said... (11/13/03 10:29 AM) Reply
Mary, have you tried the "wrapped corner" technique. (I learned this years ago from Nancy Zieman's Busy Woman's Sewing Book". ) It makes a really crisp corner on everything, especially nice for collar points. Re the formard shoulder: the newer KS patterns seem to b drafted differently than the older ones. Anyone making the newer fall and winter 2003 patterns should be sure to check this before cutting out. This is a cute, versatile jacket-reminds me a little of the Javanese "kebaya" blouses that are worn with a sarong.
MaryBeth said... (11/13/03 10:25 AM) Reply
MaryT: This looked so good on you. The pattern in the jacket prevents the eye from seeing any irregularities. One possible suggestion: next time make the skirt a bit shorter like hte picture on the pattern (I should talk, my stuff was just slapped together mostly the night before I left) but it makes us short folks look taller when the skirt hem is nearer the knee. But then there's always the question of what shoes.....
Deepika said... (11/13/03 10:21 AM) Reply
Mary!!! wow... you achieved your goal. I remember you said on the pj party that you wanted to review a pattern which nobody has reviewed it before. I loved this jacket and whole outfit looked fabulous on you. The points on the jacket are really really sharp! And that's brussels skirt right? Now I want that pattern too!
Lou. said... (11/13/03 10:09 AM) Reply
Georgene Mary was wearing this jacket at the restaurant! Mary, non of us noticed the backward sleeve :-)
SouthernStitch said... (11/13/03 10:07 AM) Reply
I sewed this before and wore it out the Friday night of PR weekend. I'm still recovering too. Have to keep the jacket on if I'm wearing a sloppy shell underneath, but I don't mind, cause it is comfy and cool.
Georgene said... (11/13/03 10:03 AM) Reply
Looking good MaryT ! Amazing that your backwards sleeve feels OK when you wear it, but no one will know but you. (Do you have to keep your jacket on?) Did you make this since you came home from PR weekend? If so, I'm amazed. I'm still trying to recover...

Tessuti Mandy Boat Neck Tee