Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8462 (MISSES'/MISSES' PETITE JACKET,)

Reviewed by:marec

About marecstarstarstarstar
Member since: 5/11/08
Posted on:3/16/09 11:34 PM
Pattern Size:Regular Petite

See other patterns in this category: Tops    Coat/Jacket    Pants
KatiCo said... (2/28/10 4:30 PM) Reply
KatiCo said... (2/28/10 4:25 PM) Reply
Thank you so much. As a petite--normally a 2P--your review was invaluable. I'm just about (and have been for a very long time) to start sewing after a long hiatus and I know if my first attempts are really awful, I'll be discouraged enough to quit. Back in the '70s, when I stopped sewing, patterns were pretty predictable. I remember being able to make an easy dress in a night (usually the night before something I was really against the wall about) without any real fitting issues. Now I'm afraid to start cutting. Reviews like yours are invaluable. I'd already purchased this as teh drawings looked like they would work, but I think I'll skip it. Thanks again :) P.S. Your own versions look great on you--especially the sleeveless top, but I'm too inexperienced to downsize or deal with any complications yet.
marec said... (3/20/09 3:11 AM) Reply
Reading your comments has made me re-think these jackets. In retrospect, and after wearing both jackets, I see I have to make some sort of closure for the black jacket. I don't want a button, or a pin. Maybe a frog closure would work to pull it together and add some drape to the front. Thank you for taking the time to carefully read the review and give your opinion. I appreciate your knowledge and feedback!
Heatherrique said... (3/19/09 1:18 AM) Reply
Useful jacket and totally chic! You remind me of the gorgeous Joan Severance....
Annette1 said... (3/18/09 1:10 AM) Reply
What a great review! I've always wondered about this pattern (which is already in my stash, so no need for me to borrow it). :o) FIRST of all, that BLUE is YOUR COLOR! By gosh, if you don't wear this jacket, turn it into a scarf or something. It's too pretty to give up. I actually think you wear these QUITE WELL. Some people can carry off "slouchy" and some can't. (I know I can't.) You look elegantly stylish in your jackets, though. As I look at your full-length pictures, I especially like the overall proportion of the outfits.
Kellie R. said... (3/17/09 4:38 PM) Reply
Your jackets turned out lovely! You'd never know that the instructions fall short-thanks for the heads up. I especially like the blue version. That shade looks fabulous on you!
Em's Summer said... (3/17/09 1:32 PM) Reply
Marec--Both jackets that you made are great for casual wear. I agree that the style does have a comfy sweater look! You did a great job.
MaryDB said... (3/17/09 1:06 PM) Reply
Nice job on working with a difficult pattern. I think the color is gorgeous on you and makes a lovely jacket.
pterion said... (3/17/09 10:19 AM) Reply
This is why I love Pattern Review. You have given a definite 'heads-up' to anyone planning on making this pattern. I actually prefer the blue one. I agree that the fabric doesn't have the drape of the black lace, but it is a lovely color and appears to fit you very well. Nice job on all the adjustments! Very cool style as long as one is willling to put in the tweaking time that you did!
Vintage Joan said... (3/17/09 1:50 AM) Reply
Your comment "useful jacket for covering up in cool buildings" totally cracked me up, sorry! :D (I have so many clothes that could be described this way!) If you are actually seeking opinions... I like the black version much better because it has a "comfy sweater" feeling to it. The blue one has a more sweatshirt-ish look -- less drapey -- so perhaps that fabric doesn't suit this style as well? Just a theory. ETA: I wrote my comment very late at night (early a.m.) and forgot to add ...Great review!/ great job -- both of these are very nice. :)

Victory Chloe Paper Pattern