Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8329 (Shirt and jacket)

Reviewed by:BrianSews

About BrianSewsstarstarstar
MA USA
Member since: 2/16/08
Posted on:3/19/09 7:47 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 4 people    Very Helpful by 21 people
See other patterns in this category: Easy to Sew    Mens - Jackets    Mens - Shirts

Sweater knit fabrics

aquafern said... (6/28/09 0:59 AM) Reply
This was great! I love getting man's opinion on men's clothes.
SewSuElle said... (4/21/09 2:36 AM) Reply
I would also love to read a sewing blog authored by you. You've got great energy; creative and fun! I'd also like to see more of those Elton John platform shoes. Too cool! The neckband tip is awesome.
Nancy K said... (3/27/09 8:46 AM) Reply
Great review and tips. Terrific t shirts
TanyaMT said... (3/25/09 9:49 PM) Reply
Good to see creative menswear reviewed. My husband is asking me for more clothing that actually fits, but there were not enough men's patterns reviewed on PR. I have an old 70s pattern of a T-shirt for him that fits similar to this one seems to with your modifications. It too had a curved side shaping that men's tee patterns just don't have now.
Wells said... (3/25/09 10:02 AM) Reply
You rock. Thanks for the neckline tip and the fun photos. You are a breath of fresh air.
brrmm said... (3/22/09 3:29 AM) Reply
Hey fella, keep up this terrific work. I love sewing with knits too and your fabrics are to die for. Great work and I adore your photo album - fun, just like you said. Look forward to more of your reviews.
Diane333 said... (3/21/09 8:17 PM) Reply
I like your reviews and your sewing abilities, but best of all, I like your fun photo shots.
nancy2001 said... (3/21/09 2:11 PM) Reply
Your tee shirt looks great and you got a perfect fit. Congratulations on a TNT (tried 'n true pattern).
Race said... (3/21/09 8:05 AM) Reply
I love your work! And the pictures are terrific. Please keep inspiring us! Did you make any of the pants in the photos? The big blue plaid is HOT!
Mahler said... (3/20/09 10:28 PM) Reply
oossspy double trouble !
Mahler said... (3/20/09 10:20 PM) Reply
If I may add, I propose a toast to tolerance, diversity, creativity, love, life, fashion, fun, laughter, short life and Wallmart's fabric table. ;-) keep coming we love you.
Catbird said... (3/20/09 8:38 PM) Reply
Oh Nancy & RocketBoy, I'm sorry to see a disagreement cropping up. I enjoy reviews from both of you so much and I do think there's room for all of us here. Our styles vary but our love of sewing and creating is the same, I think. My two cents.... And p.s., These t-shirts are fantastic. Great stuff. It's becoming obvious to me that I need to spend WAY more time in the WalMart fabric dept!
Sandi S said... (3/20/09 8:05 PM) Reply
Good tip for the neckline - I like your fabric choices.
tr1c14 said... (3/20/09 4:30 PM) Reply
I really like this T-shirt. Did you do the embellishment, or was that just the print of the fabric? In any case, it's very flattering.
j222b said... (3/20/09 2:18 PM) Reply
The striped shirt seems to have more of a drop shoulder-it looks nice, too. I enjoy your pictures and reviews.
nellc said... (3/20/09 2:15 PM) Reply
Great t-shirts and your photos are brilliant.
EastwoodFan said... (3/20/09 1:15 PM) Reply
I agree with most reviewers on here, I think Rocketboy has breathed some new life into this site. I enjoy the fun poses as well as the great reviews. Rocketboy and some other great members on here inspire me to sew outside the box or at least think outside the box. My reviews are probably boring as I don't include photos. I think there's room for all ranges of sewing talents on here.
Mrs.Moos said... (3/20/09 11:26 AM) Reply
Great job on the shirt. I like the fabric. My son got an EZ-Screen print kit for Christmas and I am going to have him print on some of my $1 yard specials. This sounds like something you may be interested in. We are going to print the T-shirt pieces BEFORE they are assembled. BTW, I would like to personally ENABLE you. I would like to see you get a coverstitch machine and some binders. I bet you could really have fun with that! Thanks for the great reviews that always have much usable info!
Byrdie said... (3/20/09 11:15 AM) Reply
They all look great! Love your poses:)
Kristina C said... (3/20/09 11:01 AM) Reply
Great fabric choices, and the look is great! You seem like a lot of fun, too!
Irene Q said... (3/20/09 10:52 AM) Reply
Thank you SO MUCH for reviewing these men's patterns!! The info on the fit is priceless - only a man really knows how a man's clothes fit. I like the Burda patterns best for DH (and me), too. And I love your photo shoots - don't change a thing!
mylittleelephant said... (3/20/09 10:42 AM) Reply
You really have the style and I love the way you use colors, can't wait for your next one.
cindyann said... (3/20/09 10:16 AM) Reply
Wow, I need to head over to the Mobile Walmart. They sure don't have great stuff like that in Pensacola. I'm really taken with the one of the woman and the stringed instrument! Very cool. BTW, did my DH give you those shoes? He had a pair just like them in the 70's. Very rock star!
birdmcfarland said... (3/20/09 9:43 AM) Reply
I love these t-shirts. I've been considering starting to sew for my husband and this might just be my first project. I can't believe you get these cool fabrics at WalMart! Thanks for sharing, as usual, fantstic review and excellent work!!
BrianSews said... (3/20/09 9:32 AM) Reply
Nancywin- I will be absolutely sure to show off my seams and construction on the next review. Since these are simple serged t-shirts I thought that would be rather boring. If you've read my jeans review then you know that there's plenty of photos detailing my stitching skills. I think PR is a great spot to show off my fabric choices, sewing skills, style, photography, and my creative energy! I'm glad that there are so many people who agree with me. And for you Nancy, there are plenty of other pattern reviews to keep you busy, don't let mine take up your time. I think there's room for everyone here, don't you agree?
Sewliz said... (3/20/09 9:24 AM) Reply
Goodie! I've had this pattern for a while wondering if I should bother sewing it up for my DS. He is built a lot like you so it is a go. Your photoshoot is great entertainment, I laughed with delight. And was reminded of a decades old lust for harness boots, maybe I should finally get some so I can enjoy them for my next couple of decades. Although they might be cool to wear with a walker. Please do include some nerdy detail photos of the sewing things you talk about. In-progress tutorials can be especially helpful when a particular technique is a new concept to someone.
Jan Flaherty said... (3/20/09 8:55 AM) Reply
Rocketboy, I think I love you. But I want to know for sure. I really like the photo shoot. I think it will inspire people to be more creative and fun in how they present their reviews. As much as I love the cheesecake, I'm glad to see the pics were a tad less sensational while still being sensational, proof that it can be done. You have my attention, so glad you weren't just in it for the WOW.
zazzie said... (3/20/09 7:38 AM) Reply
Thanks for the many photos. Sewing to me, is much more about "stylisme" than techniques. But that may be just me.
cgHipp said... (3/20/09 7:24 AM) Reply
Great review - you always provide excellent details and they are very much appreciated. I also enjoy your fun photos!
Ellenatlga said... (3/20/09 6:34 AM) Reply
Great shirts! But your white platform shoes are DA BOMB!!! Keep sewing!
Tailypo said... (3/20/09 2:00 AM) Reply
Another terrific review with great pictures and super fun use of prints. I would love to see pictures of this neck binding technique. I do hope you start a sewing blog. My husband wants me to sew him a new wardrobe by ripping off every one of your reviews (well, except for the swimsuit. He is a too modest for the banana hammock.) I look forward to your button front shirt review.
Nancywin said... (3/20/09 1:04 AM) Reply
Rocketboy, it seems to me that you have some good sewing skills and a good eye for fashion. I can see that you like photography and posing. I think it would be more beneficial for the readers on this site if you would limit/adjust your photos to show the details of the garment. There are many other sites where you can show off your photography skills that might be more appreciative of your artistic interpretations. Many of us click through to your photo album because we want to see details of your work, not so much the modeling shots. I think your reviews are well-written, but I think you would be more warmly received if you kept your photos more on the conservative side.
Elke said... (3/19/09 11:48 PM) Reply
Great fit and I really like your fabric choices!
cabinbaby said... (3/19/09 10:59 PM) Reply
Burda is also the pattern company that fits me the best too. They have envelope patterns and a magazine. The magazine is mostly women's fashions but they do print a few men's patterns a few times a year. They are a whole different realm than Simplicity, McCalls, Vogue, and Butterick. You may want to look into one. The current 03/2009 version has a few nice men's items. I can't link to it right now b/c the Burda site isn't showing the March one. The main website is www.burdafashion.com.
Athene said... (3/19/09 10:45 PM) Reply
Very nice fit - I have the pattern to make for my hubby and you results are very inspiring.
DaisyEsq said... (3/19/09 10:26 PM) Reply
Thank you for an informative review. The joy you take in sewing your own clothing is evident in reading your review and looking at your pictures. makes
Nancy Rhodes said... (3/19/09 9:58 PM) Reply
Your enthusiasm is contagious!
kim*brown said... (3/19/09 9:42 PM) Reply
Great fit and I can see your personality through your style. Don't you just love expressing yourself through fashion!
shesflipped said... (3/19/09 9:25 PM) Reply
Great review, great tip on sewing the neckline, and a wonderful assortment of t-shirts. You have a great eye for finding unique fabric!
Mahler said... (3/19/09 9:00 PM) Reply
Super style, wonderful fit, great t's.... I forgot... cool white shoes.
BrianSews said... (3/19/09 8:54 PM) Reply
Yes I will review some button down shirts next. I've got some vintage patterns coming I'm rather excited about. A short shorts pattern too just in time for summer! If you can be on the look out for some vintage envelopes, they had much slimmer fits back then. You can easily modernize them if you need to, it's mostly the collar that changes with the times.
Karen8320 said... (3/19/09 8:51 PM) Reply
RocketBoy, your shirts look fabulous on you! I love your advice because it's applicable to all of us: find a good pattern that suits your figure type; experiment with fabric; and try some different sewing techniques that make the garment look good. Experimenting with fabric and design is what makes sewing so much fun - as well as knowing that no one else will ever be wearing what you are wearing. You are a creative sewist and an entertaining reviewer. Great work!
CShelley said... (3/19/09 8:38 PM) Reply
I like your Elton John imitation. Always enjoy reading your reviews and seeing what you're up to. Keep 'em coming!
okie2thdoc said... (3/19/09 8:29 PM) Reply
If you get time, would you please review a button down shirt? My husband is built like you (it appears) and your review is helpful. I'm trying to find a shirt that works for his frame without it being HUGE! Thanks.
SewItUp said... (3/19/09 8:21 PM) Reply
Wow, Rocketboy, you're on a tear with pattern reviews! This review, like your others, is informative, inspirational and entertaining. I can't claim to have your slim build and will probably never get quite as creative as you do with your sewing but I love your work. It's great to see other guys sewing and writing reviews. There are too few of us! Thanks for all the time and effort you put into your reviews and photos. Rock on!
Kay Y said... (3/19/09 8:19 PM) Reply
You are really good at finding interesting fabric and putting it to good use! Nice album.

McCall's 9701:1969