Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5209 (Retro '47 Dress)

Reviewed by:nicegirl

About nicegirlstarstarstarstar
DC USA
Member since: 5/10/06
Posted on:4/7/09 11:55 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 26 people
Paris75008 said... (8/6/09 10:59 AM) Reply
I'm in the middle of making the halter version of this dress. I was debating whether to interface the midriff. You've just convinced me! BTW, I put several tucks into the bodice front pattern tissue to get rid of the gape. That pattern is really gapey, especially under the arms.
Barbara V said... (4/9/09 2:23 PM) Reply
A cheery happy looking dress. Nice job. I purchased this pattern with the sleeveless version in mind to make, but now I realize the style with sleeves is also very nice. The "sisters" image is cute.
nglalala said... (4/9/09 11:48 AM) Reply
Very cute dress! I love the print of the fabric!
Kathy in NM said... (4/8/09 10:20 PM) Reply
Great modern version of a classic vintage pattern! Perfect fabric, and great fit. You inspire me to try out some of the vintage patterns I have....
LauraByrnes said... (4/8/09 6:32 PM) Reply
Omigosh, this would have been the perfect pattern for me to use with my project!! (the 3 knock-off halter dresses) Your work is amazing..I'll be following your posts!
Markie1 said... (4/8/09 2:49 PM) Reply
Wow- I love this dress. The fabric is awesome, it fits you beautifully and the photo could be a postcard!
MagpieJen said... (4/8/09 2:38 PM) Reply
Sunny, gorgeous dress, and your review is incredibly helpful - thank you!
Hilary said... (4/8/09 10:18 AM) Reply
Your dress is *SO* cute! love, love, LOVE it!!
eugenia123 said... (4/8/09 10:13 AM) Reply
Fabulous dress and beautifully made.
Secretsugar said... (4/8/09 9:54 AM) Reply
Lovely as always! I've got this pattern sitting in my stash, just waiting for the right fabric to make it up in. Your fabric choice is perfect!
Grammy Gin said... (4/8/09 9:01 AM) Reply
Adorable! I hope you & your sister had a great vacation. Your wardrobe & vacation pictures are neat!
barbcl said... (4/8/09 9:00 AM) Reply
Classy as heck!
arianamaniacs said... (4/8/09 4:43 AM) Reply
I never noticed this pattern before, but I love your version! Lovely summer dress
FreyaStark said... (4/8/09 0:22 AM) Reply
A really lovely dress. Well done. It's great to hear that it works in cotton. I thought it would be essential to make it in something very soft and/or drapey because of the gathering. I have plans for this pattern myself.
Pamaro said... (4/7/09 9:42 PM) Reply
Great style dress on you. Beautiful choice of fabric too.
Christas said... (4/7/09 9:06 PM) Reply
Perfect mix of the retro with the modern! The dress looks fantastic on you!
jessbev said... (4/7/09 8:45 PM) Reply
Gorgeous - I love it. I want one too.
Slyvchan said... (4/7/09 8:10 PM) Reply
Beautiful, and I love the fabric choice! It fits you perfectly!
imsewcrazy said... (4/7/09 7:22 PM) Reply
This is the perfect summer dress! It looks so cute on you. I would want one for everyday of the week, but that's just me. :-)
Emi1yKate said... (4/7/09 7:20 PM) Reply
You look lovely in your dress. This is the best kind of vintage reissue- it's got that cute retro look but still looks beautifully modern. Well done!
Nancy K said... (4/7/09 5:25 PM) Reply
Great dress that is really becoming on you.
Elke said... (4/7/09 4:34 PM) Reply
This dress looks fabulous on you!
michellep74 said... (4/7/09 4:09 PM) Reply
Very cute!
petro said... (4/7/09 3:39 PM) Reply
Looks great, better on you than the pattern envelope drawing.
truebias said... (4/7/09 2:28 PM) Reply
i can't get over how cute this is!
Mufffet said... (4/7/09 2:25 PM) Reply
Oh my, what a lovely summer dress! Such a nice color and such style! Love this one!
cabinbaby said... (4/7/09 2:05 PM) Reply
I love this dress on you! The color is fantstic.
Aixoise said... (4/7/09 1:59 PM) Reply
This style was invented for you. It's a perfect match, especially in this fabric, for your figure and your personality. Nice work!
Karen6790 said... (4/7/09 1:16 PM) Reply
That's a very happy dress - just the thing for your vacation in Miami and for the rest of summer. Nice job, and worth the work to line it properly.
Marie-Claude said... (4/7/09 1:05 PM) Reply
This dress is so pretty! It looks very good on you. And thanks for the tip about the zipper... I'll have to remember that one!!
SilvrGhost said... (4/7/09 12:42 PM) Reply
Lovely!
Michelle L said... (4/7/09 12:35 PM) Reply
Adorable!! I have this pattern and I SWEAR I am going to make it for the summer. I just got a length of magenta sateen that I was going to use for a trench, but the drape would be much more appropriate for a dress. This one, perhaps?
Frosty772 said... (4/7/09 12:21 PM) Reply
Omg thank you so much for this review!! I have this pattern and was trying to come up with a fabric to make it out of. The fact you used cotton makes this that much easier to plan out and make now!! Fantastic dress!!
Mahogany Stylist said... (4/7/09 12:03 PM) Reply
Love this dress. I think I bought this pattern last year. I'm seriously thinking about sew it up the spring. Thanks for the review.

Rainshed 150