Pattern Reviews> Loes Hinse Designs> 5108 (Piazza Jacket)

Reviewed by:drsue

About drsuestarstarstarstar
Member since: 11/11/03
Skill level:Beginner

Posted on:11/23/03 4:20 PM
Last Updated:5/9/04 8:04 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 15 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket

Susan J. said... (7/9/07 4:06 PM) Reply
Thank you for the suggestions about improving the application of the back neck facing. Mine was pretty bulky.
CSY said... (1/25/07 10:44 PM) Reply
Your jacket is too cute. I want one too now!
EleanorMcCarthy said... (10/31/05 7:30 PM) Reply
Your jacket is fantastic. I like how it is shorter and more fitted than on the pattern envelope. Keep up the good work.
drsue said... (5/10/04 9:26 PM) Reply
Meredith: I'm only reporting what I read in the WSJ regarding twin sets! My dress form is a fabulous fit. I have one big issue with it but it might only be a problem for me. That is that the form's upper body was larger than my upper body. I had to use sand paper (for hours!) to sand of her boobs and make her rib cage smaller. I also had to make the neck smaller. The lower body was fine because that part of me is normal size. I told them how small I was but told me this would work for me. If they had only told me they made kids sizes I would have ordered one. If your are as petite as me that is what I would suggest doing. Mariella: I'm sure this pattern can be lined. However, I love how easy it is to put together that I would never do it.
Mariella said... (5/10/04 6:36 PM) Reply
What a great looking jacket, drsue. I'm awaiting this pattern in the mail (based on your earlier review and photo). I'd like to figure out a way to line it - I much prefer the on and off "ease" of a lined jacket. I recently finished my 2nd Retro Jacket and while I was in a rush to finish it so I could wear it, I may well put a lining into in the next few weeks. Those tiny seam allowances make it tricky. Thanks for all your tips on this pattern - I'm sure I'll be using them once my pattern arrives.
Meredith P said... (5/10/04 6:11 PM) Reply
Twinsets are out?! Oh no ;-) After seeing this, I think I'll have to get this pattern. Beautiful! Is that a Fabulous Fit dress form? Do you like it?
sewywabbit said... (5/10/04 11:15 AM) Reply
Very adorable and stylish! Another winner for you!!
drsue said... (5/10/04 10:05 AM) Reply
Kristi: I did not interface the fronts, although I did use a light fusible stay tape on the shoulders. My fabric is quite heavy, although it is also very drapey. The fabric is loosley woven and composed of bundles of thick threads. Probably its heavyness prevented problems, while the drapiness worked for the unstructured nature of the pattern.
Sew it seams said... (5/10/04 8:01 AM) Reply
Susan you did a beautiful job on this jacket. It looks very professional.
cindyann said... (5/10/04 7:44 AM) Reply
Wonderful rendention of this pattern. It does look more structured than the pattern pics.
kristi said... (5/10/04 7:05 AM) Reply
Sue, this jacket is gorgeous! really like the way the weave changes on the different parts. Did you interface the front pieces? I've only made this jacket once but was disappointed with the way my fabric (very drapey cross-weave linen) curled on the non-interfaced fronts.
Liana said... (5/10/04 0:25 AM) Reply
Soooo pretty! I love LH's Capri jacket, but I really may have to try this one. All your hard work grading was well worth it.
Carol Wisman said... (5/9/04 8:19 PM) Reply
Sooooo Sweet! I agree that you jacket is a much nicer look than the pattern! Great Job!
Diana Hilliard said... (2/18/04 4:48 PM) Reply
I just checked out the pattern photos, and yours is SOOOOOO MUCH NICER!! What a wonderful job you did!
drsue said... (11/24/03 7:03 PM) Reply
deepika: Thanks for the compliment! I did not line this. I would probably be too hard. I wore it today and I notice it doesn't slide over shirts in the sleeve area the way that lined jackets do.
Deepika said... (11/24/03 6:46 AM) Reply
drsue, your reviews and projects are eye candy. They look so professional! Thanks for sharing your wonderful work with us. Did you line this jacket?
Rebecca D said... (11/24/03 5:47 AM) Reply
Your jacket looks wonderful. I just bought the pattern this weekend and plan to sew it up, heaven knows when. I was curious about your comment that you had to shorten it, since your jacket looks about the same length as the photo on the pattern cover. I'll have to keep an eye out for this, as I am short-waisted. Thanks for the tip and the review.
cindyann said... (11/23/03 7:09 PM) Reply
Wonderful jacket. Your's looks so much more fitted than the pattern pic. Thank for the review.
Danvillegirl said... (11/23/03 6:13 PM) Reply
Looks good. You did a great job. I might consider this pattern myself. I like LH patterns. I need to check out CJ fabrics. You've mentioned them a few times. Seems like a good source for good knits.
Karla Kizer said... (11/23/03 6:02 PM) Reply
You have really been sewing upa storm lately. This jacket is yet another winner. Your grading and alterations must have worked; it looks great.
jlg said... (11/23/03 5:47 PM) Reply
I agree, it looks great. Nice job.
Lynngray said... (11/23/03 4:33 PM) Reply
Jacket looks great on you. Thanks for the review. I have pattern also, think I will try now.

by: gabc