Online Sewing Class: Understanding Wool Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Jalie> 2908 (Women's Stretch Jeans)

Reviewed by:cabinbaby

About cabinbabystarstarstarstar
AK USA
Member since: 4/8/07

Best Patterns of 2009
Posted on:4/13/09 6:40 PM
Last Updated:9/18/09 8:55 PM
See other patterns in this category: Pants

Other Projects by cabinbaby using this Pattern

lotte mae said... (2/1/10 10:57 AM) Reply
hi there. just looking at your fit problem with the back yolk and waistband. i cant work out if you have applied the tip from emeile to your paper pattern pieces or not. the new jeans with bright pockets look like they still have a gap.?. hope you dont mind if i suggest a tip? you have done such a good job with them and they look so nice in you it seams a shame not to make them perfect! so you could try this..... your gap is really pronounced directly at cb and extends to just below where the yolk is attatched to the main trouser. FOR THE YOLK ; take all the excess from the CB seam in the yolk and taper it down about 2 cm beyond the yolk into the trouser itself. you can curve this seam ever so slightly into the body as well to get a lovely snug fit. you will loose some height at CB in the yolk by doing this so if you want you can add what you have lost to the top of your yolk pattern piece. FOR WAISTBAND; you will get a really nice curve in the back only if you shape the waistband at the CB. if your waist band is shaped it has to be cut in two pieces with a seam at the top of the band.(so if the pattern is just a one piece waist band that fold over you will have to fold it in half , add seam allowance ontop of the fold line. cut away narrower piece and bin it! the remaining larger piece is your starting pattern ,of which you will need to cut 2 of) Shape the waist band by taking away the required amount of ease in three or four darts (rather than just at the CB which creates a pointed dip at the CB seam..) Spacing them between the area that is gaping only. take away the required amount of ease at the top of the waistband tapering down to the same amount of ease at the bottom of the waistband as you took for the top of the yolk. you can then transfer these 'darts' to the paper pattern. once you have transfered them you can fold the darts out and sticky tape or pin them in place. then redraw your waistband on a new piece of paper giving it a really lovely smooth line ,giving you your new fitted waistband pattern . make sure your new curve is nice looking and not jagged. To get a really nice finished look the 'inside ' WB pattern piece should be 2mm narrower than the 'outside' piece so that when it is all stitched in place the seam at the top of the WB lays on the inside. that should do it really. i hope this helps, its a lot longer than i anticipated. your probably asleep by now! pictures would help but not sure how to do that here yet. obviousley if you have a pair of jeans or trousers that you need to alter at the waist and dont have any extra fabric then take the excess only from the cb thereby creating a seam line and make it a feature by double top stitching up the seam in line with rest of the double top stitchin running up the cb of the back of the trousers. ok let me know if that was absolute rubbish to you or not! nicola x
suzette said... (10/3/09 9:57 PM) Reply
Great information here! Thanks so much for sharing, I am now encourged to make my own jeans! Kind regards, Sue
Sew4Fun said... (9/19/09 9:26 PM) Reply
Another great pair of jeans!
Mahogany Stylist said... (9/19/09 4:40 PM) Reply
Great pair on jeans! I love everything about them: the style, top stitching, and fit. The top is super cute too.
digs57 said... (9/19/09 3:56 PM) Reply
Very cute jeans, but oh, I do loooove the colourful top.
Re Becca said... (9/19/09 12:24 PM) Reply
Adorable! I love the pockets, loud is the style now. Do you know what Houston store he got the fabric at? We have several wonderful fabric stores here.
portercs said... (9/19/09 9:27 AM) Reply
Adorable!
ryansmumAria said... (9/19/09 1:16 AM) Reply
I love everything you make!
sheila in Missouri said... (9/18/09 10:08 PM) Reply
Great looking jeans and top! What pattern is the top and where did the fabric come from?
Heidi Ho said... (9/18/09 9:17 PM) Reply
Great!! I love the pockets!
KristenI said... (5/29/09 2:55 PM) Reply
Those are so cool! Thanks for sharing the details :)
Sallygirl said... (5/29/09 8:50 AM) Reply
I love these, Dawn! They look perfect. I have my first pair of Jalie jeans all cut out and ready to sew, just trying to decide what I want on the pocket and if I want to take a chance and modify my yoke for a swayback without making a muslin since this is an issue in every pair of RTW jeans I've ever bought. Debating making a muslin first.....
FreyaStark said... (5/29/09 7:18 AM) Reply
Wow! Very smart. The star motif is especially impressive.
KrystalL said... (5/28/09 10:30 AM) Reply
I already commented on your wardrobe post, but these jeans just take the cake! Perfect work!
Annieq said... (5/28/09 10:18 AM) Reply
cabinbaby, you are a star. thanks for the gaposis link
Athene said... (5/28/09 2:12 AM) Reply
I love your jean and the fit you got. Thanks for Emilie's Gaposis Fix tip.
CurlyCrafter said... (5/28/09 0:18 AM) Reply
such amazing jeans! One day I hope to make some as nice.
Patzee said... (5/26/09 6:16 PM) Reply
Grateful for a great review. Thanks!
quixoticpixels said... (5/22/09 3:01 PM) Reply
Thank you for posting such a thorough review. I keep checking back here as I'm working on my own pair. Such a great pattern! Your jeans look fantastic!
lilyofthevalley said... (4/19/09 2:05 PM) Reply
Absolutely smashing jeans, Dawn! The fit, the embroidery, your alterations - all perfect. A joy to see these beauties. -Lily
persevering said... (4/19/09 12:20 PM) Reply
Amazing fit and pattern review! Your precise description of measurements (yours & pattern) is greatly appreciated because I can apply this knowledge with all other information you have provided, so I can foresee better how this pattern and pattern company could work for me! (PS Though I don't comment every time, I greatly admire your work & always enjoy & learn from seeing your work and reading your reviews. Thanks again.
Vintage Joan said... (4/18/09 11:55 PM) Reply
Both pairs are fabulous! I would swear that second one was RTW -- wow!
Elona said... (4/18/09 8:08 PM) Reply
Lovely jeans! Boy, you are on a pants-fitting roll with these, and the pattern appears to be a total winner for you.
Dale C said... (4/18/09 7:12 PM) Reply
Another great pair!
solosmocker said... (4/18/09 6:11 PM) Reply
Fabulous review. This is wonderful booty fitting info and I can't wait to try it. I have the same issue. Your jeans look very high end.
angie.a said... (4/17/09 6:54 PM) Reply
Totally RTW. And a perfect fit! Love them.
crisford said... (4/15/09 11:29 AM) Reply
Now I have to try these! Thank you!
Sew4Fun said... (4/14/09 8:21 PM) Reply
Wonderful jeans! Nice fit and great topstitching. This Jalie pattern seems to be bringing out the best in people's sewing.
cgHipp said... (4/14/09 7:01 PM) Reply
The jeans are fantastic - well made and so flattering on you! I think the link to your blog at the bottom is a little off.
nellc said... (4/14/09 5:50 PM) Reply
Great looking jeans!
KG2 said... (4/14/09 5:27 PM) Reply
Awesome job as usual! I have to say that I did like my Jalie pants more after wearing for a day. The lycra does definitely relax, but does not become baggy!
Heidi Ho said... (4/14/09 3:51 PM) Reply
WOW!!! Those turned out awesome!!
Pamaro said... (4/14/09 3:46 PM) Reply
These fit you perfectly. Thanks for all the helpful info on your review. I also like the print fabric under the zipper flap.
Catbird said... (4/14/09 1:31 PM) Reply
GREAT jeans and excellent review, full of helpful information. I like the octopus idea (I have an octopus pin made of silver, so I guess I'm in your esthetic camp). It could be cool on a back pocket. Funny about the snowflakes -- I thought they were pins too. I've been debating about whether to get this pattern, and I think you just clinched the sale. These look amazing on you!
li'l miss muffett said... (4/14/09 12:08 PM) Reply
Oh these look soooo good! I cannot wait for mine to get here!!! Ack!
Sic said... (4/14/09 7:59 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review - those are great looking jeans! Also, I am throwing in my vote for the octopus design for your next pair!
mhk3boys said... (4/14/09 7:24 AM) Reply
Your jeans look very awesome! I love your photos on how you altered the back! I have this issue myself and greatly appreciate them because I'm more visual than just reading it. Thanks! Great jeans!
Pam~Off The Cuff~ said... (4/14/09 6:52 AM) Reply
Wow..these are really NICE! Your sewing skills are fab as always. This pattern is now on my list thanks to you!
QuiltSewSewSue said... (4/14/09 6:15 AM) Reply
Great review and a fantastic pair of jeans!
ajax said... (4/14/09 4:36 AM) Reply
Great jeans and the fit looks really good. Very professional looking top stitching. I may have to get this pattern to add to the many other great patterns that I haven't found time to sew up!
jonnie664 said... (4/14/09 1:06 AM) Reply
Wow - so professional and stylish! Great job with the fitting and topstitching!
renren said... (4/13/09 10:55 PM) Reply
You are such a sewing beast!!! (That is a high compliment according to my teenage daughter who is a math beast.) Also, in regards to dorothyn's comment about your perky backside, sometimes I think you don't really have a swayback, but it's all that perkiness you are adjusting for. Could that be?
Sweetiebop said... (4/13/09 10:01 PM) Reply
Great Jeans.
cabinbaby said... (4/13/09 9:51 PM) Reply
dorothyn-- hee hee, it took me forever to figure what you were talking about. The "pins" are snowflakes falling in front of the camera. lol.
dorothyn said... (4/13/09 9:37 PM) Reply
Wow, those look so professional, and the fit is fantastic. I must say, I envy your perky backside. Mine is flat, and droopy now in middle age! I have to ask - Are those pins randomly placed in fabric? It looks like your jeans are getting acupuncture!
Karen6790 said... (4/13/09 9:29 PM) Reply
I'm fine-tuning my Ottobre jeans, but I ordered the Jalie pattern too, so I can compare and then take one more thing off the list of clothes I still have to buy in the store. Your jeans are fabulous, I'll be happy if mine turn out anywhere near that well.
Leora said... (4/13/09 8:35 PM) Reply
Ok! See the back thigh, how it is nice and fitted?? THAT's what I've been trying (fruitlessly) to do. Yay, I'm buying this pattern pronto!! Awesome jeans, great review!
JEF said... (4/13/09 8:30 PM) Reply
They're great! And they look stunning on you. Can't say I like the look of the squid as a possible pocket decoration but it would be unique!
leanmeansewingmachine said... (4/13/09 8:17 PM) Reply
Great looking jeans!
Riordan said... (4/13/09 8:13 PM) Reply
Your jeans are wonderful, and you look absolutely amazing in them. I am so eager to try this pattern (on order)!!! Very helpful information in your review--thanks so much!!
Christas said... (4/13/09 6:43 PM) Reply
Wonderful jeans! These look fantastic!

Indygo Junction IJ869