Online Sewing Class: Altering Pants

Pattern Reviews> Other> 547 (Hollywood 547: 1930s Dress)

Reviewed by:MagpieJen

About MagpieJenstar
CANADA
Member since: 2/22/05
Posted on:4/15/09 4:01 PM
Last Updated:4/15/09 4:36 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 21 people
Sickofitcindy said... (8/5/10 1:32 PM) Reply
This is perfect! What a great dress :)
DesignsByDenise said... (5/1/10 11:02 AM) Reply
What a beautiful dress - you did wonderful work. The buttons are so unique, and I love the piping to outline the bib and how you picked up the red in the other buttons and belt buckle. A change of shoes and you could be ready for "ladies" tennis back in the day. Lovely, lovely job. A sepia-toned or black and white photo would have fooled us all!
mymichelle said... (5/3/09 11:49 PM) Reply
words cannot even describe how much i love this dress
Ariadne said... (4/26/09 4:24 AM) Reply
rave pn, with that crazy time machine feeling. What an absolutely smashing dress. And an even better review-tutorials! and closeups! the review itself is like a movie star! I hope you wear it out for a wonderful time. ari
petro said... (4/17/09 2:08 PM) Reply
Very understated-elegant. It looks so beautifully cool and summery.
Diane333 said... (4/16/09 10:33 PM) Reply
You and you're dress look fantastic!
waltzqueen said... (4/16/09 4:06 PM) Reply
You did a WONDERFUL job with this dress and you look FABULOUS with the hat and shoesl!!! I love vintage patterns and have many, but I've only made one evening gown so far - which was much easier.. You are an inspiration!
Beek said... (4/16/09 2:05 PM) Reply
Absolutely fabulous dress. I wish they still made patterns like this and I wish women would wear them! What a wonderful review.
edot said... (4/16/09 1:54 PM) Reply
Don't tell Claudette Colbert I said so, but ... there's no way she looked any better in her version than you do in yours. Stellar! Amazing! Spectacular! Omgoodness! You are fantastic in this lovely 1930s style.
fuzzygalore said... (4/16/09 1:41 PM) Reply
Oh, fabulous!!! And I'm totally with the piping instead of all-white bib, it's brilliant.
DoggyGirl said... (4/16/09 11:36 AM) Reply
This is wonderful. So elegant! And your review was very helpful.
leanmeansewingmachine said... (4/16/09 11:13 AM) Reply
Great dress! The look on you is fabulous!
pterion said... (4/16/09 10:58 AM) Reply
You look like you stepped out of a 1930's fashion magazine. Very impressive! Bravo!
piffle said... (4/16/09 10:17 AM) Reply
I love it! the shoes are great, too. Very well done.
Byrdie said... (4/16/09 10:06 AM) Reply
This is adorable! I love the look of vintage clothing!
Marie-Claude said... (4/16/09 4:19 AM) Reply
Stunnng. Absolutely stunning. There are no other words!
Caroleleah said... (4/16/09 3:30 AM) Reply
OOOOOOOO!!! I do NOT have words!! This is beyond perfection!!!!! *SIGH!!* WOW!!! Your abilities are astonishing!!
milo1000 said... (4/16/09 2:55 AM) Reply
Breathtaking! You look like you stepped off a screen. Amazing.
Heidi Ho said... (4/15/09 11:40 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress!!! The details are amazing! And the shoes and hat totally complete the look.
Barbara V said... (4/15/09 10:29 PM) Reply
This is such a pretty vintage style and you wear it so well. Nice job!
Twinset said... (4/15/09 10:01 PM) Reply
Greeeaaat dress! Your rendition of this 1930's number is just perfect! Very interesting review and nice pictures!
MagpieJen said... (4/15/09 9:56 PM) Reply
echolalia - I'm entering the contest - I wouldn't miss it! This one I made earlier so it doesn't qualify. Hopefully I'll have another Hollywood pattern done in time! :-) Thank you everybody for your kind words!
echolalia said... (4/15/09 9:38 PM) Reply
This is beautiful, evocative of a bygone era but still wearable today. You have done a wonderful job on the construction. Not entering the vintage contest?
AnneMarie60 said... (4/15/09 8:24 PM) Reply
Fantastic job! Your dress is charming! You look wonderful. I love your shoes, too. Excellent review!
Andreahg said... (4/15/09 8:01 PM) Reply
This is kamikat from FL: I LOVE this dress!
mrsv83 said... (4/15/09 7:18 PM) Reply
Fabulous!
Florigal said... (4/15/09 7:04 PM) Reply
Quite smashing! You look so smart in this flattering dress. Love it!
Dee Woods said... (4/15/09 6:40 PM) Reply
Your dress is really, really nice! The way you've styled your photo is perfect. It would be easy to mistake this from an actual photo from that era.
eibhlin said... (4/15/09 5:58 PM) Reply
Wonderful!!! I Love it!!!!
Kellie R. said... (4/15/09 5:38 PM) Reply
I'm so excited!!!!!!! This is just superb! You really pulled everything together beautifully! I like how you picked up the red in the GORGEOUS glass buttons in the belt buckle. The hat and shoes finish off the look perfectly! Fantastic dress!
Heatherrique said... (4/15/09 5:16 PM) Reply
Fabulous interpretation of a classic! You look dazzling!
Pattern Junkie said... (4/15/09 5:11 PM) Reply
Simply spectacular! I love it!
Christas said... (4/15/09 4:18 PM) Reply
Excellent review! Oh, my goodness I LOVE this! The shoes, the hat, the buttons ..... you have captured a moment in time! It is just lovely! I have so many vintage patterns, including the Hollywood Patterns. WOW! You have inspired me so much with your wonderful review! I think you should wear this garment proudly with a great big smile. It's just perfect.
Jatman said... (4/15/09 4:12 PM) Reply
Wow! Your dress is spectacular! Nice job!

Islander Sewing Systems Men's Islander Shirt Pattern Pattern