Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 2601 (Misses Blouse)

Reviewed by:Karen6790

About Karen6790starstarstarstar
PA USA
Member since: 3/2/06
Posted on:4/20/09 8:42 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 17 people
taffee said... (5/29/09 10:23 AM) Reply
Very, very nice work. Good detail.
Kelly D. said... (5/8/09 9:50 AM) Reply
Very cute top. I can see the need for the alterations you did even on the model on the pattern envelope! You made this into a very chic and fresh spring top. On the loops, have you ever tried Fasturn tubes? I've made some pretty narrow loops with the smallest one and they turn like a dream as long as you cut your fabric on the bias and it isn't bulky, which would be unlikely for a blouse of this type.
truebias said... (4/27/09 3:54 PM) Reply
this is super helpful. i also thought that this pattern had a ton of potential. it reminds me of a shirt that would be at anthropologie with its 1950's cut. i am about to cut out my pattern tonight and i am also going to add to the bodice and skirt. thanks!
MagpieJen said... (4/22/09 12:37 PM) Reply
You're so right - this is much nicer than the envelope suggests! Such a flirty top!
Judy Wentz said... (4/21/09 7:53 PM) Reply
I love this. Great job.
carolynw said... (4/21/09 6:48 PM) Reply
Karen I love the top and it's recycled material - how "green" is that!! The fabric really gives it a big WOW factor!!
JeanEsther said... (4/21/09 5:14 PM) Reply
Wow--I didn't even consider this pattern because the photo was so unflattering, but now I'm putting it on my list.
Beek said... (4/21/09 12:13 PM) Reply
Wow, this is a beautiful top. You've manipulated the fabric like a true expert! Bravo!
mleclair said... (4/21/09 11:39 AM) Reply
I also looked at this pattern and wasn't sure about it. Yours is lovely. The pattern matching on the stripes is excellent. Thanks for a helpful review.
AnneMarie60 said... (4/21/09 9:09 AM) Reply
Feminine and flattering! Great job, as always.
persevering said... (4/21/09 9:05 AM) Reply
Yes, very pretty.
pfaffkj said... (4/21/09 8:48 AM) Reply
Gorgeous top! Wonderful use of the fabric. This is a pattern I would never have looked at without your review. Thanks!
Kellie R. said... (4/21/09 8:40 AM) Reply
Your blouse is really pretty! I love the silhouette and yours looks perfect and I don't think the loops look too thick at all!
chacha45 said... (4/20/09 10:51 PM) Reply
You have a good eye. I wouldn't have thought I could get such a cool, elegant-looking garment from that rather frumpy-looking pattern photo.I really like the white button loops, they add zip and are so unexpected. Very arty!
castout said... (4/20/09 10:41 PM) Reply
The fabric seems perfect for this shirt. Very pretty!!
Kaitlinnegan said... (4/20/09 9:43 PM) Reply
I had a feeling this pattern had promise..and now I know it does! Yours looks fantastic!
Athene said... (4/20/09 9:36 PM) Reply
Thank you for the review - your top turned out very nicely - helpful to know that you needed to add length to the upper bodice.
renren said... (4/20/09 9:22 PM) Reply
Beautiful! All those stripes working so well together, symmetrical even on the diagonal. Wow! Maybe this will help you with the loops: I have been watching Palmer/Pletsch Serger videos and in one they make spaghetti straps, and button loops, using their serger. They make a tail twice as long as they will need for straps/loops and then they lay it between a long, skinny piece of fabric (the right sides are together, like a long, flattened straw), and they serge the seam, making certain not to catch the long, long tail they made, which is at the core of this strip they are sewing. When they have sewn this flattened tube, they cut it off the newest tail, and then carefully pull the original long tail out of the tube and it turns the tube inside out. It is remarkable. The tubes/straps were perfect. I hope I have made this clear, but if you want, I will rewatch the videos and see exactly which one it is on. Also, maybe googling "Palmer/Pletsch spaghetti straps serger" will flush something out. Another thing I did when I sewed pajamas with skinny straps was to use a straw. After I sewed the flattened tube, I worked it around a straw, just gathered it on. Then I stuck this long, flexible blue thing through it, and caught the fabric end in it and pulled it through. I though of that while walking my dog because turning the straps was very, very tedious. It worked like a charm, but I would trust Palmer/Pletsch over anything I would do, of course. Good luck, because your work is just so fine!!! (Sorry I've used up so much space here.)
Barbara V said... (4/20/09 9:20 PM) Reply
What a cute style. Your version is wonderful with the vertical and diagonal placement of fabric.
renren said... (4/20/09 9:19 PM) Reply
marec said... (4/20/09 8:48 PM) Reply
It's a home run! :-) Your version is sooooo much nicer than the envelope photos/art. Really nice design and impressive workmanship. Love it.
Christas said... (4/20/09 8:45 PM) Reply