Online Sewing Class: The Contemporary Couture Jacket

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2727 (Donna Karan Separates)

Reviewed by:Catbird

About Catbirdstarstar
NY USA
Member since: 9/7/04
Posted on:4/23/09 10:28 PM
Last Updated:4/23/09 10:36 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 29 people
HeyJane said... (5/5/09 11:46 AM) Reply
Wow, an amazing amount of effort for this garment. Enjoy your custom jacket!
Birgitte said... (4/30/09 2:32 PM) Reply
I'm not sure what's more impressive; the jacket or the review. I first started reading it days ago on my iPhone, but as much as I love my gadgets they're not up to par when something like this comes along. THIS was worthy of my full-screen Mac and all of my attention. Every detail is exactly how it should be and the design looks as if Ms. Karan designed it with you in mind (including your intuitive smarts). I love how you wear this, you look glorious. It was most certainly worth all your hard work and frustrations; a big and heartfelt congratulations, I am truly impressed. And, as a side note; how anyone could rate this review other than "very helpful" boggles my mind. If only there was an "Outstanding" option!!
Catbird said... (4/25/09 8:12 PM) Reply
Thanks stsimon! I'll admit to INSANE BUT ADVENTUROUS! I'm still confused, though. How can the socket (left) receive the socket (right)? One of them has to be the ball, no? On these Dritz snaps, the upper decorative part (the part that shows when the jacket is closed) has the socket attached to the the underside of it, so there is only one position it can go on the jacket -- the right front lapel. Maybe I'l try to dig up some RTW garments with snaps to try to settle this once and for all!
stsimon said... (4/25/09 2:32 PM) Reply
Your should rate this one as "Difficult, but great for Advanced INSANE BUT ADVENTUROUS Sewers!" Thanks for all the pictures--you put ALMOST as much work into the review as you did into the jacket! The finished jacket is so attractive that I wish I had the stamina to make one, too. BTW, I think the pattern instrux are right about the position of the snaps. The socket is usually on the bottom (jacket left), ready to receive the socket, which is pressed down into it from the top (jacket right),
Betsybobbin said... (4/25/09 11:57 AM) Reply
Amazing! Inspiring! Thank you so much for writing such a beautiful review!
Heatherrique said... (4/25/09 11:35 AM) Reply
Your new jacket is not only beautifully made, but fits you soooooooooo nicely! Very nice review of your amazing sewing journey. Thanks for the pics showing the superb details!
Catbird said... (4/25/09 11:04 AM) Reply
Annette, you're priceless!
carnelian said... (4/25/09 1:32 AM) Reply
Wonderful and more wonderful!
lamstu said... (4/24/09 11:17 PM) Reply
great review, lots of useful details. Really fabulous jacket. Congratulations!
Annette1 said... (4/24/09 9:37 PM) Reply
How come nobody ever tells ME I look like a "beautiful Parisian woman fluttering through the Passages in Paris"? I can flutter! :o)
jaeng said... (4/24/09 7:32 PM) Reply
Janie, there're so much details on this jacket and you made them look so neat and perfect. Bravo! I give this 5 stars.
Catbird said... (4/24/09 5:06 PM) Reply
You guys amaze me! Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. I enjoyed them all. Annette, thank you for helping me give credit where credit is due! You are a wonder woman. Sue, I'm glad to hear you're still enjoying your excellent version of this jacket. And Mary M. Mohr, you touched my heart. I was born in Paris, so your comment was especially touching for me. Thank you all so much.
Mary M. Mohr said... (4/24/09 4:48 PM) Reply
I have been tiptoeing around this pattern for years, and seeing yours is pushing me over the edge. Yours is perfection. Your workmanship is superb, and your trim, athletic physique makes you look like a beautiful Parisian woman fluttering through the Passages in Paris. Magnifique.
Lisette said... (4/24/09 3:44 PM) Reply
Gorgeous jacket! Glad you persevered
busymomof3 said... (4/24/09 2:04 PM) Reply
LOVE it!!! I can't even imagine sewing that! You did awesome and it looks very nice!
persevering said... (4/24/09 11:54 AM) Reply
What panache! Catbird: obviously this was quite a challenge and your success is amazing. Thanks for sharing details of how you got there. Oh yes, very attractive, well-fitted and timeless garment too! Congratulations!
janet said... (4/24/09 11:42 AM) Reply
Your jacket is absolutely fabulous and fits you to a T. Your tailoring is perfection. Congratulations on an "Award Winning" job. P.S. You must have the patience of "Adam" to perservere through all the detail nightmares of this pattern. Thank you for an excellent, informative, and entertaining review.
Nancy K said... (4/24/09 10:05 AM) Reply
Wow! This is an amazing jacket. Your fortitude is to be congratulated!
Sue Anfang said... (4/24/09 9:52 AM) Reply
Isn't this a beautiful jacket? I made one when the pattern came out and had it on today!
Karine said... (4/24/09 9:49 AM) Reply
Wow - this is a work of art! Beautiful, beautiful job. Thanks for the detailed review and all of the helpful photos.
Doctor Sister said... (4/24/09 9:38 AM) Reply
WOW! What else can I say. The jacket is beautiful, and your review is so good. I wouldn't even dream of sewing something this complex but it gives me a high standard to aim at. Thanks,
Fran G said... (4/24/09 9:29 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket; so sophisticated and cool! Your review? Incredibly complete and detailed! Thanks for all your effort on both!
Nancy Rhodes said... (4/24/09 8:37 AM) Reply
Bravo Bravo Bravo ! The crowd is roaring with sounds of appreciation...... PS Excellent outstanding photos of the details.... and I know how difficult it is to do black fabric detail.... well done.. You have mastered this one.
nancy2001 said... (4/24/09 7:53 AM) Reply
Amazingly beautiful jacket.
mylittleelephant said... (4/24/09 6:44 AM) Reply
I haven't read the review yet, just checked all photos right now and oh my god, your jacket is sooooo beautifully done!!! Just fabulous and I am unspeakable and loving it!!!
margk said... (4/24/09 6:00 AM) Reply
What a fabulous review! And a gorgeous Jacket. Congratulations!
Caroleleah said... (4/24/09 2:24 AM) Reply
OMG! I am in awe of your skills! You have FINESSED this jacket!!!!!!!!!! Could not be improved on in even the tiniest way - you have achieved utter perfection! Fit, form, function - WOW!!
Natasha B said... (4/24/09 1:51 AM) Reply
Fabulous jacket. I certainly won't be going andywhere near it, but you have done an inspirational job. Thanks for the photos and the entertaining review. What a journey!
Anniinbc said... (4/24/09 1:08 AM) Reply
Yes, it's pretty awesome!!
Annette1 said... (4/24/09 0:54 AM) Reply
Oh, I forgot: I think the Post-It pad idea may have been Karla Kizer's. I've used that too, and wondered why I didn't think of it myself. :o)
Annette1 said... (4/24/09 0:53 AM) Reply
Rarely am I ever satisfied that there's enough details and (mainly) PICTURES in a review, but I can't come up with ONE MEASLY complaint about this one. :o) I LOVED taking this little psychotic journey with you, sans tranquilizers! Maybe it's the Vogue people who were on tranquilizers when they wrote some of those directions. I've always LOVED this pattern. If it was in my size, I'd probably have one in the stash, if not two. Your jacket turned out just PERFECTLY, every little detail! Of course, it's just as nice on the inside as on the outside. I LOVE the silhouette, which looks GREAT on you. So have you started on the next one yet? Heh-heh-heh. :o) FABULOUS JOB!
Dmd4106 said... (4/24/09 0:48 AM) Reply
Cool jacket! Great Review!
Aixoise said... (4/24/09 0:38 AM) Reply
One of the best, most informative - and witty - reviews I've read. Thank you! Have you sent Vogue your resume? They should hire you.
Sweetiebop said... (4/24/09 0:00 AM) Reply
Catbird, this was an awesome job you did with this review and the jacket. Congrats on a very stunning piece of work.
Laurasews said... (4/23/09 11:32 PM) Reply
Absolutely wonderful!!!
Christas said... (4/23/09 11:18 PM) Reply
Oh, Janie! I love every single detail! This jacket is totally amazing. Your workmanship is perfect..... I need more adjectives to describe how beautiful your sewing is on this! WOW! WOW! WOW! I just LOVE your new jacket. What a complete joy to read your thorough review of this VERY lovely garment! Again..... WOW!!! I am just at a loss for words! The head scratching and sewing adventure was DEFINITELY worth it!
Lori V said... (4/23/09 11:11 PM) Reply
Wonderful jacket and such an informative review, thank you.
Phasionz by M said... (4/23/09 11:03 PM) Reply
great job!
Re Becca said... (4/23/09 10:41 PM) Reply
You should be thrilled. That is a lot of work and a very informative review.

Marfy 2415